DnD Beyond is having quite a sale

K

Kidbooo

Hello everyone,,
If you have been interested in using DDB, but haven't wanted to pay full (amazon) price for the books, or purchase 350$ for all of it at once, now is the time to purchase the core books and dig into the service!

also, if you already have bought into the service but don't have everything, now is the time to fix that.
Today only, they are selling all products for the cheaper of $20 or normal price.
They also have two coupon codes out right now, both of which give you 25% off your order.
So, grab the core books for 20$ each, put in the code "fall25", bringing them down to 17$ each!

Then, if you find that you love the service and want to get the rest of the books, grab that Legendary Bundle using the code "idlechamps" for 25% off, and the cost of the books you already have on DDB will be subtracted from the total of the bundle! If you wait long enough for the followup purchase that the code expires, don't worry! A new one will come out!

Bye bye, spam links!

Last edited by a moderator:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Huh, I just checked it out, and I don't see any of that stuff, and both those codes are expired.

Granted I am 12 hours late but it is still Today, here. ;)

Maybe it's a regional thing?

guachi

Hero
$20 is about my asking price for many of the 5e books outside of the big 3. It's about what I paid on Amazon for them over the holidays.

Seems like a good deal for those interested in a digital only version of the book.

Retreater

Legend
Still gonna be able to use it in 5 years if D&D Beyond shuts down? Or if WotC pulls their license? Or if 6e is released and WotC stops allowing access to previous edition tools (like they did with 4e)?
No. I only trust dead tree editions.

jgsugden

Legend
Still gonna be able to use it in 5 years if D&D Beyond shuts down? Or if WotC pulls their license? Or if 6e is released and WotC stops allowing access to previous edition tools (like they did with 4e)?
No. I only trust dead tree editions.
A counterpoint to this approach: When a new edition comes out, old edition stuff tends to go to the used book stores, etc... I see 4E and 3E stuff at used book sores for a couple bucks.

Accordingly, I see two fiscally cheap approaches:

1.) Buy physical now and deal with the 15 book backpack issues, or
2.) Buy digital not and then buy the physical if you want them when they're dirt cheap in the secondary market.

Something to also consider is that a D&D group often all buys their own PHB - DM + players at $17 each. If one DM acquires the PHB and a DM subscription and shares it with 3 campaigns of 5 (or more) players each, it could be a lot cheaper in the long run, especially if everyone in those groups contributes.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
My big beef with DDB's pricing model is the subscription. Like, I can dump a bunch of money into books, but then I can't get full use out of them unless I also subscribe? That's kinda lame.

I'd love it if they did something like, "For every $5 you spend, you get 1 free month of subscription." (They could also do the reverse, and say "For every month you subscribe, you get $5 of credit," the way some Freemium MMOs work, but I feel like the other way takes better advantage of people's spending habits.) (Also the $5 number is not scientific, it just feels kinda right.)

Harzel

Adventurer
My big beef with DDB's pricing model is the subscription. Like, I can dump a bunch of money into books, but then I can't get full use out of them unless I also subscribe? That's kinda lame.

I'd love it if they did something like, "For every $5 you spend, you get 1 free month of subscription." (They could also do the reverse, and say "For every month you subscribe, you get $5 of credit," the way some Freemium MMOs work, but I feel like the other way takes better advantage of people's spending habits.) (Also the $5 number is not scientific, it just feels kinda right.)

I can't tell whether you (or I) have misunderstood something about DDB or you just have a different take on "full use" than I do. AFAIK, the only things that subscriptions add are more characters slots and sharing 'unlocked' (paid) content with others. What is it you think that you can't do without a subscription that you think you ought to be able to do for "full use"?

darjr

I crit!
I LOVE D&D Beyond.

I do worry about losing access, especially with their current owners. However I'm getting a ton of use out of it.

I think if the drive thru folks add a searchable compendium like tool to their app and web site I'd much prefer their model.

I do like Drive Thru's current model, I get an app to lookup books and read them/use them plus I get a downloadable PDF to use elsewhere or in case they go down.

darjr

I crit!
They have said it would. But it seems I have needed to download them a few times. I’m not entirely clear why, sometimes it was an app update. Though I realize now that was the Beta

Remove ads