Phaldalin and the lost Phylactery of Lucian

John Cecil

First Post
Hey everyone,

A little backstory.

Looking for some ideas. My group just finished up with LMoP. It was a blast. It had been years since I had played or DMd but have played every edition of D&D over the years. The group was strong, and I wanted to challenge them. The Warlock had taken the Staff of defense. In order to utilize it he multiclassed to sorcerer at 4th level. I knew that Nezaar would not be enough of a challenge to the group so I upped the challenge rating. I had Nazzar just have completed the
Transformation/ curse of becoming a Dryder. I also made him a level 7 spellcaster. When they entered the room protected with darkness, I had him cast fireball. I rolled a 40 out of 48 for possible damage. Oops... wish I had been rolling for stats. Haha The players saw the roll and it almost party wiped them. Two characters had fire resistance. The Pact of Ancients Warlock tanked the Dryder with the aid of the OP staff of defense. And held him off for three rounds while the Paly got every one back up. Somehow after two hours of intense battle, they managed to take him down.

The Warlock is a very experienced player of older additions and thought we should come up with a way to rid him of the staff as he was worried about overshadowing the other characters with the extra defense. So, after the fight with the Flameskull, I had a glass statue of an old wizard appear that looked like it was missing a staff. The Warlock placed the staff in his hands and a magic door opened. Inside was the same statue holding an amulet and a book was opened on a pedestal.

The amulet grants +1 to AC. But here is where it gets interesting. I am trying it in with a campaign arc. An ancient Baelorn wizard, Lucian, split his Phylactery into several pieces, all of which are placed in random crypts etc... Throughout the sword coast. The key to finding all of them is the Text. It is magically encrypted so that as certain achievements are fulfilled, it will provide more clues to the remaining pieces. Once the Phylactery has been completed, Lucian will be freed from his self imposed prison.

Lucian is stuck between dimensions. He sacrificed himself centuries ago to magically close a portal to either the Abyss or some other plane that had opened in Neverwinter Woods. He knew the only way to hold the portal closed would be trap himself in between the dimensions and magically ward the portal. With the Spellplague and the recent efforts of Szass Tam with the Dread ring, his wards are weakening. Knowing this he is seeking the help of some adventurers to help reassemble with Phylactery and pull him back so he can seal the portal for good.

I want to make this into a long campaign arc and incorporate other classic modules into the story. The characters are going to do a modified Forge of Fury where they will discovered the next fragment of the Phylactery next.

I wanted to run the idea past the forum and see if you have any other suggestions for cool modules or plot elements that I could add over the next 5-10 levels of play. The Characters are currently at level 5.

Any suggestions or critiques appreciate

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This sounds awesome! I’m actually also running a campaign involving a hunt for pieces of a divided phyactery (although their goal is to destroy it and kill the Lich), and I too am doing Forge of Fury as part of it. I’m basically running them through all the dungeons in Tales from the Yawning Portal, which will culminate in them killing Acererak or dying in the attempt.

John Cecil

First Post
Charlaquin,

You had the same idea as me. Lol. I thought about just using the ToYP adventures but I think I may only use the Against the Giant portion. One of my players is very experienced with Tomb of horrors from years past.

Remove ads