It's Not A Cartoon, But What Is It?

Matt Corley is a freelance RPG writer for Kobold Press and Petersen Games. He recently tweeted the image below with the caption "Pre-hype, hype for an amazing project coming to Kickstarter this Summer", although he notes that it is NOT a cartoon.

D3k7mqZW0AI1vZW.jpg

When asked "Is this a reboot of the D&D cartoon?" he emphatically replied "It’s not. The amazing folks at Critical Role have DnD cartoons well in hand".

Corley mentioned in February that his youngest has been diagnosed with cancer, and produced a t-shirt for charity.

He also posted these images recently, with the caption "Pre-hype".

hsd.png
kwc.png

Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Yep, the Endless Quest series relaunched recently.

Hopefully future books get run by an editor first before being published. Those four class based Endless Quest books were filled with errors. Lots of gender changes depending on which options you chose lol. First it was "he", then later it was a "she", then back to a "he" again ;)

Having written choose your own adventure books myself, I understand the additional challenges of putting it all together logistically, but that's no excuse for major continuity changes like that. Also like things that being a fighter, 90% of the choices that involved fighting resulted in death lol. I can see that with the rogue, or wizard, but the fighter class? You get punished for doing what he does best. That struck me as odd. Although it was neat that the one use of what could be described as action surge was actually out of combat (showcasing it's versatility by escaping the collapsing dungeon).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
But the concept of playing people from the real earth I don’t like. But that’s just me.
Given how popular of a trope it is, it's really weird that it's never been fully supported in D&D, though.

(For one thing, in 2E and later, non-weapon profiencies/skills would have to be addressed, since very few of us could make our way in a fantasy setting right out of the gate, while it's possible that we would have useful knowledge in that setting, in the vein of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Given how popular of a trope it is, it's really weird that it's never been fully supported in D&D, though.

(For one thing, in 2E and later, non-weapon profiencies/skills would have to be addressed, since very few of us could make our way in a fantasy setting right out of the gate, while it's possible that we would have useful knowledge in that setting, in the vein of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.)

I'm guessing D&D never officially tackled it because pretty much every time it was done in the past on a per table basis, you ran into the problem of hurting people's feelings because most people don't want to have themselves statted out. How do you really handle that?

"Sorry Bill, but you barely passed with a C average. You're intelligence can't be higher than an 8."
"WTF, you know I learn a different way, that's BS! Obviously you have a charisma of 3."

So yeah, as a company, no surprise they didn't touch that with a 10 foot pole.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm guessing D&D never officially tackled it because pretty much every time it was done in the past on a per table basis, you ran into the problem of hurting people's feelings because most people don't want to have themselves statted out. How do you really handle that?

"Sorry Bill, but you barely passed with a C average. You're intelligence can't be higher than an 8."
"WTF, you know I learn a different way, that's BS! Obviously you have a charisma of 3."

Eh. It was the default method of character creation in Villains & Vigilantes, which was an incredibly popular superhero RPG in the 1970s and 1980s and which has been brought back in the 21st century. People cope.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eh. It was the default method of character creation in Villains & Vigilantes, which was an incredibly popular superhero RPG in the 1970s and 1980s and which has been brought back in the 21st century. People cope.

"Incredibly" might be an exaggeration. It's certainly a trope better suited to something like Fate...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site

Perhaps. I think it may also have something to do with Satanic-panic baggage. Once you start playing "you" in the real game you start looking more like the fears of those who think RPGs will lead to murder, black magic, and suicide.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
"Incredibly" might be an exaggeration. It's certainly a trope better suited to something like Fate...

I played V&V back in the day, but I think it's popularity was quickly usurped by Champions and Marvel Super-Heroes, both of which I played more.

There's something of an urban gaming legend about someone doing that in GURPs (besides statting yourself, you'd have all the stuff you had with you when the game start), and one guy in the group learning about it before hand, so he brought along all sorts of crap, including a crossbow.

But the first D&D novel, Quag Keep, was based on the same premise. In that, some the best D&D players in the country received mysterious miniatures in the mail and that transported them to Greyhawk. Sorta.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It was the number two superhero game until TSR waded in. Granted, that almost certainly put it at the bottom of the top 10 of old school games, but it was successful enough for the creators and publisher to battle over the legal rights decades later.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases