Why is the shortest lived edition, still one of the most popular?

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
[MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] thanks!

Why would I want to fight this? Burning Wheel is one of my favourite RPGs, and The Adventure Burner was the book that, more than any other, helped me run a very successful 4e D&D campaign. I've never played a Ron Edwards game, but his essays and posts on The Forge are brimming with insight and useful advice. Just one example: As someone who ran Rolemaster for nearly 20 years, I learned more about that system and why it has the break points that it does from Edwards' "Right to Dream" essay than one would get in a lifetime of reading through the official ICE forums.

Cool. I've never had the pleasure of actually playing Burning Wheel but I've heard exclusively good things about it from all corners. I don't think Luke Crane has any enemies--certainly no out ones, considering he's the head of Games at Kickstarter--but I learned a few years back that lots of people in and around this industry carry vendettas against Ron (for mostly really stupid reasons, I'd add).

Voadam

Legend
I haven't played either, but a fair number of people have insisted that BX is better than BECMI. One point that was raised in particular is how the thief is kinda shafted by the level extension of the latter.

I didn't get Mentzer BX so when I picked up the Companion Set to go with my Moldvay Cook BX that jumped out at me. I was really looking forward to thieves getting cool new stuff that could shine, not catching up to Cook Expert levels of existing skills in Companion levels.

lyracian

Villager
Nostalgia?
I would agree with this. My friend starting running a B/X retro game almost two years ago and we still get 5-10 players every month. My ten year old daughter has even joined in. It is a nice trip down memory lane as a simple dungeon bash but I would rather play 5th Edition myself.

My view is that it is not a well written rule book but it is definitely better than the one that came before it.

Remove ads