Rick and Morty Type Rule Options/Changes

GameOgre

Adventurer
If you were going to try and run a D&D campaign with the feel of Rick and Morty, What house rules options or changes would you make?

I'm torn myself because it seems their are some better rpg's to base that kind of game on.....however, my players are much more interested in D&D 5E with this hypothetical campaign so If I can figure out how to do it with D&D I would like to.

I think the adventures themselves would have to be more involved and deadly than normal but I think that part is doable. Just make them with a much larger threat but give non-combat options that could perhaps be used to bypass the greater threat with clever/twisted game play.

MonkeezOnFire

Adventurer
Implementing the sanity score and alien technology identification optional rules from the DMG would be a good start.

Have characters make sanity saving throws whenever they encounter something disturbing or something that calls their beliefs into question. The consequences can be something as simple as suffering a condition for an hour (frightened) to something as severe as a long term madness. Madness can be fun as some of them don't have a mechanical implication, only giving the character a personality flaw for them to role play.

Remove ads