TSR The Making and Breaking of Deities & Demigods

Gods, Demigods, & Heroes was a D&D supplement that I suggested to Gary [Gygax] and it was published in 1976. It presented gods and heroes for D&D. In those days there was no google or internet research features and so I had to do a great deal of library research to get the book done. I used the Golden Bough for a great deal of the legendary treatment. I read all the novels of the authors I mentioned in the book. The concept was a first attempt at combining gods into the game and sold well.

Gods, Demigods, & Heroes was a D&D supplement that I suggested to Gary [Gygax] and it was published in 1976. It presented gods and heroes for D&D. In those days there was no google or internet research features and so I had to do a great deal of library research to get the book done. I used the Golden Bough for a great deal of the legendary treatment. I read all the novels of the authors I mentioned in the book. The concept was a first attempt at combining gods into the game and sold well.

dad.jpg

Note from Morrus -- this is the fourth of Jim Ward's series of articles here on EN World! Upcoming articles include TSR's Amazing Accounting Department, and The Origin of Monty Haul!

Naturally, when AD&D came out the idea to update the gods book was given as an assignment to me. Rob Kuntz was supposed to do half of the writing, but was busy with other things and I ended up writing most of it. This time around for the 1980 release of the book there was a lot more known about role-playing and I included those features in the work.

I was a History and English teacher in Prairie Du Chien at the time, with a family of three young boys and a pleasant wife. I wrote all of the material for the book during one summer vacation in 1979.

In those days there wasn't the internet. I had my own reference books from the last time I designed the pantheons and I spent more hours and hours in the library, again taking notes and ordering books from other libraries. I wanted to add more value to the new work, than what was in the first pantheon version.

The hardest section to write was the Cthulhu mythology. I had to read all of the Lovecraft books. There were other writers of that type of genre, like August Derleth, but Gary Gygax and I talked it out and decided to just use the plentiful Lovecraft material. The hard part was that those books are truly scary. I read all of them in three months. For months afterward I had nightmares and constantly looked over my shoulder looking in the shadows for nasty things. Dealing with those dark concepts was a trial for the happy go lucky James M. Ward, but I persevered.

Gary gave me a format to use that was much like a monster manual listing. That was fine with me as it gave me an order and focus for each listing. I was given a thousand pieces of photocopied sheets. I put each one in my nonelectric typewriter and I typed up the deities, monsters, heroes, and other things of the pantheon. In the creation of each pantheon I did the exact same thing. I made a list of the deities. I placed an imagined value on their power and influence. This caused me to list them as greater or lesser deities. For example I had Zeus as a greater god, Artemis was listed as a lesser goddess, Heracles was listed as a demi-god for his half god parent. In the research for all the pantheons I came across creatures and heroes that were added to the pantheon. Then I looked at each character and the legends about them and made up magic statistics on the items that legends reported. I sent each pantheon for Gary to review and generally he liked all of them.

I can remember we had a debate over the hit points of the gods. I wanted the leader of the gods in each pantheon to have 1,000 hit points. Gary wanted them to have 400. His point was that they couldn't be killed on the prime material plane. If any deity were killed in a battle with player characters their spirit of some type would go back to their home plane and reform. There was no arguing with that logic. That discussion caused me to invent the Plane of Concordant Opposition among the planes that Gary put together.

I would like to use this forum to set some small bit of controversy straight from my point of view. When I first started outlining the book, Gary Gygax told me there might be a copyright problem with the Lovecraft and Moorcock sections of the book. Gary gave me the addresses of those two groups and suggested I get permission from them to print those sections of the book. I immediately sent out the two letters and a month later got positive replies back from both groups. They were pleased to get their concepts mention in the book. I foolishly gave those letters to the TSR legal department (I wish I had them to show you now). The book was printed and published in 1980 to wide acclaim. Fans liked the mention of temples and divine magic items. They liked the references to monsters associated with this or that religion.

TSR received a cease and desist order from Chaosium. In 1981 Chaosium printed Cthulhu and Elric set of role-playing games and naturally didn't want a competitor doing the same thing. Please note that I don't blame them a bit. They had contracts with those two groups and were supposed to defend their rights to the trademark. Those two groups should have mentioned to TSR that they were signing contracts with another company. I wouldn't have put those pantheons in the book in that event. There are literally hundreds of other pantheons that could have been included. It is my belief that if TSR had gone to California with those two letters and gone to court, the company would have been allowed to continue publishing. In those days TSR management didn't think they had the money to hire a California lawyer, fly out to California where the case would be judged, and take the case to court. They decided to remove those two sections and continue publishing the book.

I'm happy to report that Michael Moorcock was nice enough to declare in print that he did indeed give TSR and myself permission to write about his works.

Naturally, I wasn't pleased because I had gone through the work of getting permission for those two sections. I immediately offered to write two new sections free of charge to TSR. Management said no. Every year since then, some goofy fan on the message boards claims that TSR stole those two concepts and put them in the book. I don't like being accused of plagiarism. I'm here to say I did my due diligence and didn't get the chance to make the situation better.

Jim Ward

Jim Ward

Drawmij the Wizard

dave2008

Legend
Maybe one of these days WotC will actually get around to putting a PDF of this on dmsguild like they have with a lot of previous edition material so I can actually get a copy for a reasonable price. Because I don't consider my current options of a king's ransom or a pirate's booty as meaningful options.

I hope so too! I have a poor PDF of the 1st print and hard copy of Legends and Lore, but I would love a high quality PDF or POD of the original Deities and Demigods.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Given the time period and the "Satanic Panic" stuff going on, it might have been for other reasons. I guess Jim Ward would know!

I also think part of it has to do with how D&D is all about the fantastical and exotic. When the vast majority of your player base is intimately familiar with Christianity, TSR wanted to focus on more of the those obscure religions. The whole point of playing D&D was to get away from real life, for me. I grew up Catholic. So wanting to play an Arabic horseman, or a pagan barbarian, has more appeal to me back then.

dave2008

Legend
Heh. Often enough, I wish passionately the 5e Cleric never used the word ‘gods’ in its class description. Opening up this core class − of the Players Handbook as an erratum − goes a long way to make 5e able to represent the sacred beliefs of other peoples cultures. Not everything is about Greek gods. Or monotheism.

However, I think you have a very narrow definition of the term 'god,' The modern concept is very broad and accommodating of many kinds of spirits or spiritual entities.

Considering that all religions are made-up fairy tales and totally fictional, I do not care which ones get D&D stats and which ones do not. But I would still rather use ones that were created for a specific game world and not ones based on Earth mythologies, partly because they fit the setting better and partly to avoid any arguments between players over their real-world beliefs.

Dire Bare

Legend
I won't speak for Yaarel, and I know this is treading close to the religion line; but I think it's pretty relevant that while D&D draws heavily on Biblical themes, it carefully avoids any direct representation of the Jewish or Christian religions. Deities & Demigods does not have a "Judeo-Christian Mythos" chapter. We are not told Moses's cleric level; we do not know if the Angel of the Lord is a planetar or a solar; we do not have a hit point total for Jesus.

It's fair to ask that similar respect be given to other real-world belief systems.

Thanks for this man, there's a lot in this thread that's making me twitch.

There's a reason why TSR, and later WotC started pulling away from depicting modern-day religions in game products. Even supposedly ancient religions/mythos are still held sacred by many throughout the world. It's tricky to distill the varied real-world traditions into concrete RPG statisitics and remain truly respectful to the source material.

I loved the original Deities & Demigods back in the day, but I don't think I want WotC or other publishers to put out that kind of book today.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
He did so also based on research and at least a value of accuracy, even if his scholarship may have ultimately failed some of the groups represented.

Agreed. I think it's really important not to move the goalposts.

Given what Jim Ward had to work with at the time, he did a good job for what was, ultimately, a piece of late '70s game writing, not academic scholarship that even had a pretense of being accurate. (I mean, it had nonhuman pantheons as well as clearly fictional ones, such as Lankhmar.)

At the time having really any information about most non-Western religions was unusual, to say the least. I bet that, like many other aspects of D&D at the time, there were people who were encouraged to read more based on that book. Lots of us found out about fiction via Appendix N and Deities and Demigods. It was tough to get then, too, unless you were lucky enough to live in a town that had a good used book store. I would not describe Southwestern Wisconsin of the late '70s/early '80s that way, although the libraries were pretty solid---ironically, I went to the same library as Jim Ward did when I was a kid, although I certainly had no idea.

we might want to be careful before a primarily white produced and designed product responds to these challenges solely by avoiding the project altogether

100%. There's a big difference between the kind of exploitation that existed in media of, say, the late '60s, where groups like Native Americans were portrayed in the ways they appear in Westerns of that era, the numerous examples of Orientalism, blackface, brownface, etc., and being not 100% accurate to current understanding of comparative religion and anthropology (assuming those were even consistently stated and not subject to debate).

I don't know where the line falls, but a retreat to total avoidance is pretty much where the nitpicking will end up if taken to an extreme: Game companies will simply avoid any project that runs a whiff of risk of being accused of cultural appropriation and then slammed on social media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
That is a good point. Of course there has been a lot of Judeo-Christian content made for D&D (and some great 5e content), but it was not included in Deities and Demigods. The does point to some lack of respect or at least perspective. I wonder if it was considered but dismissed for publishing reasons.

I would very much guess publishing reasons, particularly when one considers the context of the late '70s/early '80s.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Now, you would think we could get some clarity with active religions that are represented. However, my own experiences with Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Shintoism, and Hinduism have lead me to believe that their is not one truth within a particular religion. I know for a fact that practitioners of those faiths do not believe the same truths and see falsehoods in the beliefs in other practitioners of the same faith.

So what is truth and what is false then. I don't really think that is for an RPG product to decided.

Another reason that the quest for absolute accuracy is impossible is that many (all) belief systems change over time and also have regional differences. So accurate to which time period, to which region? And, as has been stated by someone else, looking at past beliefs through the lens of post-belief scholarship is fraught with even more inaccuracies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't know where the line falls, but a retreat to total avoidance is pretty much where the nitpicking will end up if taken to an extreme: Game companies will simply avoid any project that runs a whiff of risk of being accused of cultural appropriation and then slammed on social media.

Indeed, especially when we compare TSR to other media at the time. I think moral relativism is important here. For example, we look at Clyde Caldwell and can say a whole bunch of his paintings are sexist. But look at what fantasy art was like in the 70s and early 80s? Frazetta and Vallejo. So while through a modern lens we can say Caldwell's paintings are clearly sexist, we should also say that TSR did a pretty good job being progressive in addressing sexism in it's art during the time. Progress never happens immediately; and I'm sure acceptable stuff now will be deemed offensive in the future, so we should acknowledge progress even if it's not where we want it to be modernly, because to do otherwise just sends a message they shouldn't touch the topic at all. Which of course means change will never happen if it's just ignored.

maceochaid

Explorer
Heh. Often enough, I wish passionately the 5e Cleric never used the word ‘gods’ in its class description. Opening up this core class − of the Players Handbook as an erratum − goes a long way to make 5e able to represent the sacred beliefs of other peoples cultures. Not everything is about Greek gods. Or monotheism. There are other *kinds* of ways of thinking about the sacred.

Interestingly the Cleric was designed to be what would later become the Paladin. They were mostly the original Gish, and were invented to fight a Vampire character and were based on the Song of Roland and Peter Cushing's depiction of Van Helsing in B-Rated horror movies. So the Cleric is explicitly based on fantasy Christianity.

Originally Gygax felt the Cleric didn't have to have to be connected to the Gods, just a sense of the Fantasy and Legendary Christian stories that gave him what he needed rules wise, a fighter magic user who could heal. When a player insisted to know which god he served Gygax invented St. Cuthbert as a joke but obviously having Christian trappings, and Pholtus as a joke about a monotheistic religion in a polytheistic world. Players wanting their characters to have a connection to a god borrowed from diverse sources like Norse myths and Conan comics. (Classic DM vs. Player clash, DM only cares about evil Gods to motivate villainous cultists, Players only care about the God their character worships for either the fluff or crunch it will grant them) Players would win out, and in 2nd edition the Christian inspired Cleric would be firmly grafted onto a semi-Greco Roman pantheon of gods who control a specific sphere of the natural world or human activity.

The Cleric never quite represented a Christian Priest, but still, he was built to resemble that the most, yet was now drafted into the service of Fantasy Gods, a group that was a combination of Lovecraft, Moorcock, Lieber, Hamilton, and Bullfinch. More than any other class in Dungeons and Dragons the Cleric is a palimpsest, an attempt at recreating something, but in the end creating something entirely unique to Dungeons and Dragons. The Fighter is like the Hydra or the Minotaur, faithfully recreated from legend, the Wizard is the Chromatic Dragon or the Winged Manticore, resembling its roots but with a special D&D spin. The Cleric is the Illithid or the Owlbear, whatever previous seed was planted in Gygax's brain, this bizarre mutant fruit is entirely modern, and has completely changed fantasy games and literature for better or ill.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads