WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

I just played through Divinity Original Sin 2: the Definitive Edition, and it seems they added some references to upcoming games. One refers to the upcoming tactical game Divinity Fallen Heroes where there's a book about Sulfurium and how it'll revolutionize combat. Another reference might be about Baldur's Gate 3, when the necromancer Tarquin mentions travelling to another world where there are beings that eats minds. So there's a small chance that the character could conceivably make an appearance in BG3.

gyor

Legend
Can't wait to have my Dragonborn Paladin go toe to toe with Mind Flayers!

And I can't wait for the inevitable mod which will allow you to have a Mind Flayer as a Player Character!

It might not require a mod, if your character gets infected by a Mindflayer Tadpole, and turns into a Mindflayer they might let you keep playing it.

Same thing with being coming a Vampire or Werecreature.

It might not require a mod, if your character gets infected by a Mindflayer Tadpole, and turns into a Mindflayer they might let you keep playing it.

Same thing with being coming a Vampire or Werecreature.
Did you say you haven't played the original Baldur's Gate? It's a very different style of RPG to The Elder Scrolls games.

Of course it's possible Baldur's Gate 3 might take a completely different approach to storytelling to 1 and 2. Not something I would welcome myself though.

CapnZapp

Legend
I thought to extract the bits relevant to 5E, but really, the only new tibit I could find, was that Larian is tweaking the experience of playing the Fighter at low levels:

"The fighter has been a big problem for us" says Vincke, "because in the beginning he's very limited. He's a tutorial class in D&D 5e, but if I don't give you anything to do with your fighter in the beginning of a videogame you'll go bananas, especially when you play multiplayer."

gyor

Legend
Did you say you haven't played the original Baldur's Gate? It's a very different style of RPG to The Elder Scrolls games.

Of course it's possible Baldur's Gate 3 might take a completely different approach to storytelling to 1 and 2. Not something I would welcome myself though.

No I've played BG 1& 2 and Throne of Bhaal, Planescape Torment, the original Gold Box Pool of Radiance games as well. I only really played the Elder Scroll demo with the original one.

gyor

Legend
I thought to extract the bits relevant to 5E, but really, the only new tibit I could find, was that Larian is tweaking the experience of playing the Fighter at low levels:

"The fighter has been a big problem for us" says Vincke, "because in the beginning he's very limited. He's a tutorial class in D&D 5e, but if I don't give you anything to do with your fighter in the beginning of a videogame you'll go bananas, especially when you play multiplayer."

It's a big one though, it leaves one curious about what they have done to the fighter.

I do see their point, the things people do to make fighters combat RP entertaining while keeping the simple mechanics won't translate that well to a CRPG, they'd get boring fast.

The Champion Fighter to me seems to very much be the example of the Tutorial Build of the Fighter, and is overall the Tutorial Build of the entire system. But even with a subclass as interesting in mechanics as the Battlemaster, the first 2 levels before getting there really just have the options of "I attack" and action surge.

gyor

Legend
The Champion Fighter to me seems to very much be the example of the Tutorial Build of the Fighter, and is overall the Tutorial Build of the entire system. But even with a subclass as interesting in mechanics as the Battlemaster, the first 2 levels before getting there really just have the options of "I attack" and action surge.

It just occurred to me that might turn to the skills system and Larian style interaction system as a solution to that. Like offering an option to through a chain or table at someone, grapples, tripping, ect...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases