Acquisitions, Inc.: First Impressions - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON 1 View Post
    We've been telling people who have kept insisting there needed to be a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book to go back to the 3E or Grey Box era for years now.
    If you're not a fan of the realms I could see why you wouldn't need one. But for the fans its a shame a proper campaign guide hasnt been released. The best we got was a regional guide like used to come out every month which at least was quality. Now we get a parody guide.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan View Post
    Adventuring Companies have been a fixture of the Realms for a long time, ever since the beginning. The Grey Box spends three pages talking about what they are and lists the roster and exploits of a few famous ones. AI, as far as I can tell, adds a bit of corporate humor to the mix, but it doesn't seem to add anything radically new.
    Adventuring company charters have always been a thing in Forgotten Realms. The Knights of Myth Drannor have a charter. But that's a far cry difference from changing it to some random office show.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by DMZ2112 View Post
    Of all the reasons to dislike this book, "It's too much fun for D&D" is unequivocally the worst.
    comedy =/= fun
    XP Salthorae gave XP for this post

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Mournblade94 View Post
    If you're not a fan of the realms I could see why you wouldn't need one. But for the fans its a shame a proper campaign guide hasnt been released. The best we got was a regional guide like used to come out every month which at least was quality. Now we get a parody guide.
    And if you ARE a far of the Realms, you probably already have information about whatever locale you might want to run a game in, and thus a new product is unnecessary. Do you really need WotC to write up eight new paragraphs about Turmish rather than just use the eight paragraphs they wrote about Turmish previously? Or really just write your own dozens pages about Turmish yourself, seeing as how you weren't going to get enough info about it in any "new" guide to run a campaign there anyway?
    XP DMZ2112, smerwin29 gave XP for this post

Hydra (Lvl 25)

And if you ARE a far of the Realms, you probably already have information about whatever locale you might want to run a game in, and thus a new product is unnecessary. Do you really need WotC to write up eight new paragraphs about Turmish rather than just use the eight paragraphs they wrote about Turmish previously? Or really just write your own dozens pages about Turmish yourself, seeing as how you weren't going to get enough info about it in any "new" guide to run a campaign there anyway?
    Replace Turmish with Lopango, and that's me!

I really don't know why I chose one of the most out of the way places in one of the least supported continents as the base of my FR campaign. It might have had something to do with Boy Meets World. Or just because Volcanoes are cool.
    XP DEFCON 1 gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

I have all that information sure, but they did 2 realms changing events since all of those campaign guides were released. So for those that care about official canon that information is completely out dated. To say we don't NEED a guide in that case is like saying you really don't need any more rules options so why publish rulebooks with those options.

WOTC puts out a guide completely changing the map. Then releases an underwhelming 6 books series to 'fix' the mistakes. Doesn't release a sourcebook for any real game effect of those fixes.

I don't play in the current timeline. I play in the older ones. The ones you say we should just go back to. But maybe people could enjoy the present timeline MORE if WOTC bothered to think about the effects and release a source book. Not that my contribution matters, but the reason my Base system is Pathfinder is because they havent bothered to give good source material for the 5th edition realms.

So a new sourcebook is as unnecessary as a new rulebook with options. Clearly there are enough options for people right?

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

WotC doesn't care about finalized FR canon anymore and they don't want you to care about it either. They want the Realms to be left open so they can do whatever they want going forward without having to worry about contradicting anything someone else might written in some book or novel or comic book somewhere. That's been their MO for the entirety of 5E and why I don't believe they are going to release a setting book for at least the next several years.

Some people might think they need to know what's going on in Turmish right now... but WotC doesn't and indeed won't know until they decide to write a Turmish adventure somewhere down the line. Then they'll be happy to fill in any important Turmishian info the public is desperate to know.
    Last edited by DEFCON 1; Friday, 21st June, 2019 at 11:03 PM.
    XP JediSoth, Parmandur gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

My thoughts...

The humor and style is such that you will like it or not. That's very subjective. But while it goes a tad farther than I like, in my group some "conceptual anachronisms" are normal - basically the "Corp speak" no more actually what the character said than is our own english language as common. Many of the concepts being described existed in different forms.

As for what I look for the HMs? "how much" (hmmmmm?)

HM sparking ideas- good
    HM - needed orvyseful structure - basic shop or guild structure and advancement- promotions etc - good
    HM Character traits - good ones
    HM Hooks and Bits - good

Have not hone thry the adventure but I feel it was worth it, in spite of its tone.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

WotC doesn't care about finalized FR canon anymore and they don't want you to care about it either.
    They may not want me to care about it, but I certainly do. Fortunately for WOTC people are more concerned about the world of Critical Role than Forgotten Realms then. They can now afford to make the realms a pale shadow of what it was because Realms fandom has become a niche. The true success of D&D is going to the streamers so most people are exposed to the realms now in the joke AI form.
    Laugh Parmandur, ProfessorDetective laughed with this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Mournblade94 View Post
    They may not want me to care about it, but I certainly do. Fortunately for WOTC people are more concerned about the world of Critical Role than Forgotten Realms then. They can now afford to make the realms a pale shadow of what it was because Realms fandom has become a niche. The true success of D&D is going to the streamers so most people are exposed to the realms now in the joke AI form.
    Oh, please. The FR still get way more attention than ANY other settting, so your grousing just comes off as petulant to those that are fans of those other settings. Secondly, there are more Realms products than AI, so your doomsday prediction doesn't hold water. Also, the Realms aren't sacrosanct. P.S. You have no room to talk about joke products until the Realms gets it own version of the Castle Greyhawk module.
    Last edited by Azzy; Saturday, 22nd June, 2019 at 06:25 AM.
    XP Parmandur, smerwin29, EthanSental gave XP for this post