D&D 5E How do you keep track of spells for multiple NPCs?

I'm running a game at a high level and in the next session there's a chance that a variety of mid-to-high level drow casters might be running around each with a different set of spell combinations. I find this to be a challenge on two fronts:

1) Simply remembering what each spell does and its limitations (we're talking about 40 spells that could be cast)
2) Tracking which slots for each NPC caster have been used up as the encounter(s) progress.

This is generally fine when I'm running a single caster but when there are more than one? The set of spells to reference and gets quickly out of hand!

Anyone have any tips for smoothly managing this in the heat of battle?

???

How many casters exactly.

Ive run games of over 20th level (epic boons) with a 5 man party dealing with a half a dozen encounters per long rest featuring death knights, Liches, Vampire shadow dancer mooks, undead Cleric 'leaders' and so forth.

Examples include:

Encounter 1:

A) Death Knight boss (add +50 percent more HP, remove spell casting trait, add +2d8 necrotic damage on weapon attacks, include legendary action (3) 1 x sword attack, add legendary resistance (3), add Leadership trait, Add Misty Step 3/ short rest. AC 20, +2 to hit and damage, Greatsword +2, Full plate +2).
B) Lich (remove legendary actions and resistances, double HP, increase Dex to 18, Mage armor cast, Foresight pre cast, Contingency precast (Mirror image timed to go off when a quickened spell is cast or a spell from the Lich, that targets the Lich) 9th level slot regained, swap Time stop for Psychic Scream, Add Quicken spell ability 3 times per SR, add: Bracers of Armor and Ring of Protection, AC 20)
C) 2 x Undead Clerics (As WarPriest - change type to Undead, resist SBP from non magical weapons, Immune: Necrotic, Poison; Poisoned, Exhaustion. all Undead within 30' gain advantage on Saves while the Undead Cleric is alive and not incapacitated),
C) 10 x Vampire Spawn 'Shadowdancers' (Vampire Spawn, bonus action to Hide as Rogue or teleport to darkness as Shadow Monk (with first attack made at advantage) when in Dim light, +9 Stealth bonus, reduce HP to 60, add extra claw attack).

Encounter conditions: Magical Gloom (dim light) enforced on area (dispelled by light of 5th level or higher). Ruined building with water cascading from roof, in forming a river of sorts running through the building. One wall to neighboring building on east side has collapsed allowing access to that building (unbeknownst to the players, the Vampires have yet to be invited into that building).

The Undead clerics would pair off with the Vampires in groups of 6, while the Lich and DK went after priority targets.

The biggest PITA was tracking the Vampires regeneration.

My advice is never include more than 3 (max) spell casters in an encounter. You dont need them. Just whack on Boss or Leader types with aura effects (like Leadership, or save boosting effects).

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
For spell (and other ability/feature) descriptions, I use a shorthand that eliminates as much text as possible, e.g., a range of 120 ft. and an effect that is a 20 ft. radius sphere becomes (R120/S20). Some of it comes out looking like code:
~ DEX save ? 8d6 fire : 1/2
A few idioms like that cover a lot of the spell descriptions. It puts a lot in a small space and gives me a form I can read very quickly. There's no formalism behind it, though - just whatever compact description will remind me what it does.

A spell digest would be a useful DMs Guild product.

Greenfield

Adventurer
Like most of the above responses, I use paper and pencil.

If you want a hard mechanic for it, go to a craft store and buy a bag of "wooden nickles", simple wood disks with blank faces.

Now, mark one disk for each spell they have prepared, or for each spell slot they have for each spell level. Mark the other side with a number, referring to which NPC caster they belong to. DO NOT try to arrange them in neat stacks. They won't stay neat in play and you can't see anything but the top marker. Instead, get a few paper cups, bowls or some such and dump one caster's set in each bowl, spell/spell slot side up.

You could use pieces of paper or squares of cardboard, but the wood disks are easier to handle and keep organized.

Now, as an NPC casts a given spell, pull the appropriate chip from the bowl. You can use the chip to mark the center of a given spell, or to mark it's manifestation if it moves. (Summon Monster, anyone?)

If you have players who get conveniently forgetful about spells or spell slots used, have them use the same mechanic.

If you have poker chips around they work well too: Color marks the level, and the spell name can easily be written on them. Also, if you use a standard water based marker, like you probably use on the battle mat, they're easy to erase and re-use.

S'mon

Legend
Had a battle yesterday with a bunch of Great Old One Warlocks, 14th level casters.
Never played or ran a Warlock before, though I've seen them played a fair bit so I know eg Eldritch Blast is a good fallback.

I just looked up the spells that seemed useful during the fight and cast those. I also took advice from a player ("Don't bother with Crown of Madness, it's crap in this edition"). We're all friends and trust each other, obviously this wouldn't work with an antagonistic group. No one scolded me for not having the 5e Warlock spells memorised. :D

I do miss 4e and the powers being detailed in the NPC stat blocks; wish 5e would do that more.

CapnZapp

Legend
If I had the money to buy WotC I would force every dev to edit all monster stat blocks to clearly indicate which spells are Concentration.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'm running a game at a high level and in the next session there's a chance that a variety of mid-to-high level drow casters might be running around each with a different set of spell combinations. I find this to be a challenge on two fronts:

1) Simply remembering what each spell does and its limitations (we're talking about 40 spells that could be cast)
2) Tracking which slots for each NPC caster have been used up as the encounter(s) progress.

This is generally fine when I'm running a single caster but when there are more than one? The set of spells to reference and gets quickly out of hand!

Anyone have any tips for smoothly managing this in the heat of battle?

I just focus on important spells.

I've never played 5e at high level, but I would write down a list of maybe 10 spells prepared and ignore the rest as if the NPC had prepared other spells for out-of combat use.

Of those 10 or so, I would focus on highest level spells. If the battle lasts so long that the NPC runs out of slots and has to use low level spells, he either tries to flee or I can default to comnon spells like Magic Missile.

I would however keep track of slots exactly.

jgsugden

Legend
Pen and paper stat blocks that list the spells they have available to cast. Use check boxes for slots/spells per day.

Use a magnet board for initiative. Put the spells on the board as their own magnets if there are events that trigger off of an initiative order event.I do this for on round duration spells, etc....

If using miniatures, put markers on the miniatures to show where someone is under a spell if it moves with them, or on the battlemat to show if it is an area.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases