D&D 5E Show me how to build a defender....

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There's a simple homebrew idea we employ for 5E - 'Take the Attack'.

Take the Attack (Reaction) : When an ally adjacent to you would be attacked by an enemy, you can move in the way of the blow, and the attack roll targets you instead.

We make this simple option so literally anyone, from any class, can have heroic 'save the squishy' moments. Stick the ability on a Full-Plate and Shield-wearing defender, and it is a significant boon, especially after magic items are taken into account.

This seems to step all over the Protection fighting style. Now anyone can do something, without the opportunity cost of taking that fighting style over another. Protection fighting style can be a bit better and a bit worse (less chance anyone is hit, but it's still the original squishy low-AC target), but it's often considered one of the weaker fighting styles already. Now, where it's on-par or barely better than what everyone can naturally do I can't see any reason for people to take it.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
This seems to step all over the Protection fighting style. Now anyone can do something, without the opportunity cost of taking that fighting style over another. Protection fighting style can be a bit better and a bit worse (less chance anyone is hit, but it's still the original squishy low-AC target), but it's often considered one of the weaker fighting styles already. Now, where it's on-par or barely better than what everyone can naturally do I can't see any reason for people to take it.

Hilariously, we came up with this rule while discussing why no one ever took the fighting style. As I mentioned recently in another thread, when we use 5e at home, it is pretty much just a system backbone. We've tweaked so much, and this is one of the first things to go. Having to waste a reaction before even knowing whether or not the monster would hit just wasn't worth it in anyone's mind, not even our hardcore "I'm always a Defender who saves others" guy. Doesn't remotely compare to just getting the +2 damage from duelist style. Obviously, this is just our home games, I rarely take any homebrew rules to the FLGS unless people specifically request them.

Instead, I worked the Shield style to work a bit like Monk's Deflect Arrows. As a reaction, the defender can reduce the damage coming at him, or an adjacent ally, by (Shield's Damage Die) + Strength Modifier. That works much better for our group's character build economy.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hilariously, we came up with this rule while discussing why no one ever took the fighting style. As I mentioned recently in another thread, when we use 5e at home, it is pretty much just a system backbone. We've tweaked so much, and this is one of the first things to go. Having to waste a reaction before even knowing whether or not the monster would hit just wasn't worth it in anyone's mind, even our hardcore "I'm always a Defender who saves others" guy. Doesn't even remotely compare to just getting the +2 damage from duelist style. Obviously, this is just our home games, I rarely take any homebrew rules to the FLGS unless people specifically request them.

Instead, I worked the Shield style to work a bit like Monk's Deflect Arrows. As a reaction, the defender can reduce the damage coming at him, or an adjacent ally, by (Shield's Damage Die) + Strength Modifier. That works much better for our group's character build economy.

Yeh the wasted reaction is one of the reasons why I didnt like protection its competing against the sentinel feat and opportunity attacks too. (both seem to be a defender fighters meat)

Last edited:

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I skimmed the thread but I might have missed, has anyone mentioned the conquest paladin?

Its level 7 aura that freezes Frightened enemies in place, combined with various fear abilities/spells make for a character that can stop multiple foes in there tracks to protect allies and has the powerful paladin as the base class.

That being said I love the reckless attacking barbarian to incentive Monsters to attack me instead of my allies.

Zardnaar

Legend
Combat and Tactics looks to have been extensive material.

Yeah it was the best of the players option books. Tested a few rules in it such as weapon abilities, fighter Grand Master rules, siege weapons, critical hit tables, new armor and weapons, fire arm rules.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hilariously, we came up with this rule while discussing why no one ever took the fighting style. As I mentioned recently in another thread, when we use 5e at home, it is pretty much just a system backbone. We've tweaked so much, and this is one of the first things to go. Having to waste a reaction before even knowing whether or not the monster would hit just wasn't worth it in anyone's mind, not even our hardcore "I'm always a Defender who saves others" guy. Doesn't remotely compare to just getting the +2 damage from duelist style. Obviously, this is just our home games, I rarely take any homebrew rules to the FLGS unless people specifically request them.

A solution I seen still kept the reaction cost but allowed it to be done after the subject was hit... and forced a re-roll (it could combine with other sources of disadvantage) But the damage reduction idea how exactly did that work?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases