• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Getting Organized

BSF

Explorer
I am just about ready to kick off a new campaign. This time around, I am thinking that I want to be a bit more organized. So, I am looking for any advice on what to use for my "DM Binder". Right now, I have a 3-ring binder and a 3x5 cardbox. It works OK, but it seems like I could put together something more convenient. Maybe my approach is wrong?

I'm not as interested in what to put in it, there is already a great thread on that (What's in your DM's Binder) as well as a good article on www.roleplayingtips.com (Roleplaying Tips Issue #69). What I am looking for are thoughts on what will make a good binder and how you have it organized.

Macbeth

First Post
Sorry to be slightly OT, but did you get the email I sent you about times? I just wanted to have a little more info on when, where, and how regularly you plan to run this game, so I can make a decision on wether to commit or not. The compaign does sound like fun...

reutbing0

First Post
How much space do you have? Would you have to lug it around or do you run your games at your own house? One thing is sure though, you'll need index dividers. Personally I prefer colored ones as I think color coding makes for easier reference. You'll probably need Sheet Protector and don't forget blank and graph paper.

BSF

Explorer
Macbeth said:
Sorry to be slightly OT, but did you get the email I sent you about times? I just wanted to have a little more info on when, where, and how regularly you plan to run this game, so I can make a decision on wether to commit or not. The compaign does sound like fun...

No problem! Yes I did get your email. But, I got it late last night when I was trying to break out of some of my writer's block for the collaborative off-camera scene I am working on with a co-player in the game I play in. I managed to crank out ~1000 more words for that story, but it took a while and I was tired when I got done around 1:49 AM.

I am planning to respond to you after work so I can lay out more information on what our group is like, etc. I _really_ want to give you a very good overview of everything so you can feel like you are making an informed decision. I mean, you are looking at an 85 mile drive.

But, I will get an email to you this evening. If you use any of the IM products, we could also chat if you would like.

BSF

Explorer
reutbing0 said:
How much space do you have? Would you have to lug it around or do you run your games at your own house? One thing is sure though, you'll need index dividers. Personally I prefer colored ones as I think color coding makes for easier reference. You'll probably need Sheet Protector and don't forget blank and graph paper.

I generally run games at my house, so organization is my biggest enemy right now.

Though, I have been thinking that I need to redo my player's binder for the weekly game I play in. Hmm, that's a topic I don't think I have seen posted on yet.

Macbeth

First Post
Wow, thanks that sounds great, i do have AIM, with my name being SolidEnder4. I could defiantely find time to chat some. I'll go ahead and start AIM now and leave the window open so you should be able to send me a message. I'll probably be in front of my computer (there aren't many places in my room that aren't in front of the computer) all night, so feel free to message me or email anytime.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
reutbing0 said:

Just want to second the notion of color-coding your sections. Nothing is worse than having everything you need, and then not be able to find it (gee, that sounds a bit like the PH and DMG...) :rolleyes:

BTW, don't limit yourself to colored index dividers. I've also used colored sheet protectors and pouches, index cards, file folders, and labels (usually dots). Even using a red or green pen for certain notes helps things stand out.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
BardStephenFox said:
So, I am looking for any advice on what to use for my "DM Binder".

You may wish to start thinking electronically. Look into PDAs as an option, or even a used laptop/notebook. Some PDAs are very inexpensive now. You'd be amazed at how inexpensive a used laptop/notebook one can be and the vast amounts of materials you can take on the road with you.

reutbing0

First Post
Mark said:
You may wish to start thinking electronically. Look into PDAs as an option, or even a used laptop/notebook. Some PDAs are very inexpensive now. You'd be amazed at how inexpensive a used laptop/notebook one can be and the vast amounts of materials you can take on the road with you.

While I love having my laptop at the table I don't think it would be able to fully replace paper in my game. I print out maps and floor plans, I frequently pass notes back and forth with my players, I modify my adventure notes during the game and I do an in-game log. Paper seems to work much more effective for me, and therefore I still need a DM binder.

I use the laptop mainly for music and sound FX, as an srd-reference, to access my pdf-files and occasionally for dice rolls. I do prepare most of my adventure and campaign notes on the computer,but I still print these for reference purposes.

Of course if the digital way works for you in your games, more power to you. For me paper is still a necessity though.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
reutbing0 said:
While I love having my laptop at the table I don't think it would be able to fully replace paper in my game. I print out maps and floor plans, I frequently pass notes back and forth with my players, I modify my adventure notes during the game and I do an in-game log. Paper seems to work much more effective for me, and therefore I still need a DM binder.

I use the laptop mainly for music and sound FX, as an srd-reference, to access my pdf-files and occasionally for dice rolls. I do prepare most of my adventure and campaign notes on the computer,but I still print these for reference purposes.

Of course if the digital way works for you in your games, more power to you. For me paper is still a necessity though.

Nope. You're doing just what I was driving at. Gotta have maps and handouts, but by using electronic help as you do you greatly reduce how much you have to contain in your binder. Bravo! :)

We're on the same page... ;)

Remove ads