So what are your informal expectations...or rules, for a RPG?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's how I've usually seen it. As you say, it would be nice to always be thinking of others, but I don't think it's necessary or should be insisted upon by or of the players in your group
I would say we generally expect it as part of our groups' social contracts. Loot is divided up by giving it to the character that can best use it, and secondarily by who is the most behind on loot if the loot is usable by multiple characters. If a character needs to pursue a certain plot hook, we do some mummery of pissing and moaning about it but we always pursue that hook.

Basically, we have a strong social expectation that the players be chill. Loot is no big deal, progression is no big deal, and if something happens to your character, you laugh it off and start a new one. We all work together so everyone is having a good time. Roleplayers don't complain about combat, and combat lovers engage in the roleplay.

Everyone GMs. Important for not just system mastery but also for variety and letting everyone actually get to experience both sides of a given game.

Playing with 6 other people who all are nearly equally skilled at GMing is wonderful, and does a lot to make even worser games feel great to play, simply because everyone is intimately familiar with the bounds of the system and how best to exceed them when the time calls for it.

Also helps to just foster a lot of trust in general, which is really the secret sauce to getting a well functioning table going.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Everyone GMs. Important for not just system mastery but also for variety and letting everyone actually get to experience both sides of a given game.

Playing with 6 other people who all are nearly equally skilled at GMing is wonderful, and does a lot to make even worser games feel great to play, simply because everyone is intimately familiar with the bounds of the system and how best to exceed them when the time calls for it.

Also helps to just foster a lot of trust in general, which is really the secret sauce to getting a well functioning table going.
Agreed. I only have one table with a forever GM (me), and it's actively worse from a roleplaying perspective than my other tables. The reason I run it is because it's lifelong away from game friends.

All my other tables have rotating GMs, and people who GM are just (generally) better players. More engaged with the fiction, more familiar with the rules, and just more willing to play along with wherever the fiction goes.

Back in my F2F days, in no particular order: (blue have been dropped since I went exclusively online)

If something bothers you, leave.
Be on time.
No PVP or stealing from party or PCs.
No Evil PCs.
No murder hobos.
Share the spotlight.
If its not written on your sheet, you don't have it.
No XP/RP/etc for kills.
Talk or eat, not both (Online, mute your mike when eating).
If you stink, stay home.
If the cat or rat takes your dice or snacks, that's on you. Defend your stuff.
Bring your own snacks and drinks. Sharing is optional, and discouraged.
Pants are mandatory.
Physical violence between players is only allowed when sanctioned by the GM.
Spray BEFORE letting one rip.

cranberry

Adventurer
I once had a GM who would start talking with his buddy about recent movies and TV shows in the middle of the game for about 2 hours each session. After the third session, I just left the group without an explanation. If he was that oblivious to the fact he was interrupting his own game, he wasn't worthy of a reason.

I've also had "against the players" GM, playing favorites GM, and cancel at the last minute GM's.

They are not always "the adult in the room"...

Remove ads