Sell me on: Classic Play Book of the Sea

Psion

Adventurer
I'd be interested in any insight on this as well. Mongoose Matt touted it (naturally), and I liked Gareth's previous work (book of dragons, the first chapter of Sorcery & Steam), but I am still not convinced this gives me anything I need that Seas of Blood doesn't already give me.

Mytholder

John Cooper's got a review up, if you haven't seen it.

Basically, it's a bumper book of wet things, and floating things, and things that crawl. Crew, morale, ship construction and outfitting, sample ships and bathtub toys (with really nice maps), sailing, sea combat, trade, ports, magic, PrCs, underwater adventuring, monsters, underwater magic, and the biggest random encounter generator since Toolbox.

Er. I'm crap at sell me threads, especially when it's my own book I'm trying to sell you on. Tell me what you might be using it for, and I'll tell you how much support Book of the Sea will give...

JoeGKushner

First Post
I love John's reviews. They save me a ton of money. If Mongoose was doing some errata on their web page and updating their books to 3.5 (like say the NPCS in Sheloth), I'd be more willing to suffer the price tags on their big books. I know Wizards isn't perfect either but at the very least their books are in color and I haven't had any fall apart on me.

Lalato

Adventurer
Tell me what you might be using it for, and I'll tell you how much support Book of the Sea will give...

I would like to use it for various adventures between an island continent and the "main land" which is about a month's sail away. I'm particularly interested in encounters that might happen at sea... and how to resolve those encounters without "sinking the ship".

--sam

Mytholder

There's a big random encounter generator, which basically provides the framework for plots that happen at sea. A lot of them are more complex than just straight combat. There's also a detailed section on morale and discipline in a crew, so you can track how the player characters manage their crew on this month-long voyage.

LeifVignirsson

First Post
I own both Seas of Blood and The Classic Play book. I must say that I am glad I have the Classic Play because of the hard bound nature and whatnot, but I haven't noticed much in differences rules wise between the two. Sure, they added on a few things here and there, but that wasn't necessary to sell me on it anyway. I'm a munchkin when it comes to Mongoose and a few other companies. If you have Seas of Blood, it wouldn't affect you... However, seeing that aftermarket sales are relatively high on Seas of Blood (some places I have seen twice cover price and rariety drives it up a bit too), you might want to wrap that up in a protective case and purchase Classic Play to use in a game...

Just a thought...

Remove ads