No LONGER dead to me.

Mystery Man

First Post
Like I'm sure you care. ;)

Reading the editorial in #113 this made my heart leap out of my chest.

Quoting rather than paraphrasing I hope that's ok.

[/SNIP]"In about a month, we'll debut an entirely new format with a renewed focus on D&D, exciting new columns, and a handful of new feature aimed at makeing Dungeon the definitive resource for Dungeon Masters."[SNIP]

In a nutshell Poly is going away.

I can't wait and good luck with the new format! Just please don't make another subscribers only section. That sucked. :)

Last edited:

VorpalBunny

Explorer
I like the fact that they'll be more room for adventures in Dungeon, but on the otherhand, I'm going to miss the Star Wars and d20 Modern support found in Polyhedron. Once again support for the Star Wars RPG is without a home and this time it's taking d20 Modern with it. :(

Belen

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:
Oddly enough, Paizo is now dead to me, partly because of this move.

I think you're in the minority on this one. Poly was a mistake. It never had a subscriber base because it was offered free with RPGA membership. They seriously miscalculated when adding it to Dungeon because they thought the RPGA people would all subscribe for the mag. I'll bet that very few of them did and most of those who would, already subscribed to Dungeon.

Poly SHOULD have been reformated as its own mag that covered d20. As an addendum to Dungeon, it never had enough space to do this right.

This was a good move by Paizo. Dungeon IS a DnD mag. More people play DnD than d20 and a more solid focus will attract more people. The weekend warriors do not want to hear about other games because they have little time to try them and new gamers are not experienced enough to switch games. Adventures and advice serve that market, which is the largest gaming segment. For most, poly was a waste of space that could be devoted to helping the weekend warriors utlize their limited gaming time better.

A real Poly needs to focus on all of d20 and perhaps gaming in general and probably still will not have enough subscribers to make a profit.

Dave

Treebore

First Post
I would go for a mag that covered d20 Modern/future, Star Wars, Traveller, et al. A lot of overlap exists in these RPG's, where a little bit of everything could be stolen/canibalized to use in whatever d20 you actually do use. Like I can cannibalize a lot of Star Wars for my Traveller games. Even the Jedi stuff since I like using the Zhodani. I would bet I could cannibalize D20 Babylon 5 for Traveller. If I were to run a Star Wars campaign I could definitely cannibalize stuff from Traveller/et al.

Maybe a D20 mag that just puts out a lot of ideas/equipment/feats/whatever that can be used in a wide variety of technology levels. Creative DM's can use this variety to create different campaign atmosphere/flavors for various parts of their campaign galaxies/worlds. Then throw NPC's/PrC's intended for specific d20 campaign worlds into the mix.

IT could work.

Darth K'Trava

First Post
The question is: Would enough people buy/subscribe to make it worth their effort to make a totally separate magazine for d20, Modern, SW, etc?

Karl Green

First Post
Yea on second thought not going to comment here. Some people like it some hate it ... whatever, I will leave it

Last edited:

Remove ads