No LONGER dead to me.

Goobermunch said:
Here's how Paizo should handle the Poly problem: take it online. Make it available for a relatively low subscription fee on their website. This keeps all that d20 material out there for use. If there is enough interest (and a large enough subscription base), they can migrate it to print in a year or two.
Yeah, I'd go for that.

Mystery Man

First Post
diaglo said:
lucky hand and halfer.

i still don't have my copy.

I regained my sanity (and got the magazines on time) when I stopped subscribing. That was back when WoTC was running it. Or whoever it was before Piazo.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Goobermunch said:
Here's how Paizo should handle the Poly problem: take it online. Make it available for a relatively low subscription fee on their website. This keeps all that d20 material out there for use. If there is enough interest (and a large enough subscription base), they can migrate it to print in a year or two.
Will they accept check/money order payment, because I ain't got no plastic. Prior to this, I got my Poly via FLGS, as with all my Dragon issues.

I still disagree it is not financially viable to circulate it as a standalone magazine. You just got to give it a chance.

And while we're at it, reinstate Dragon Annual. We only disagree with the last issue being d20 not the entire circulation of Annual.

* taps on the mike * Hello? Paizo? Can you here me?

Arani Korden

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
And several poly readers have decided to stop buying since the decision, so you cannot say they did not react the same way.

It's not exactly the same thing. The Dungeon readers still got Dungeon every issue, though in some cases the content was reduced (and I can understand griping about that.) The Polyhedron readers who stopped buying stopped because the magazine they were after no longer exists; I for one never used Dungeon and I'm not going to keep buying it now that they've eliminated the content I did use.

Ottergame

First Post
Goobermunch said:

--G

The problem being that magazines don't make any money for the subscription price. They get their money through advertising, and advertisers aren't willing to pay so much for an online ad.

Online magazines tend to be fan run affairs. There's no real quality control, editing is done by non-professions, and articles tend to mostly be lower quality. There's just not enough money in them to make them professional publications.

Ottergame

First Post
Arani Korden said:
It's not exactly the same thing. The Dungeon readers still got Dungeon every issue, though in some cases the content was reduced (and I can understand griping about that.) The Polyhedron readers who stopped buying stopped because the magazine they were after no longer exists; I for one never used Dungeon and I'm not going to keep buying it now that they've eliminated the content I did use.

No, Dungeon lost half of it's content. They had to make adventures shorter, or give them clean breaks to span multipul issues. That means there were to many times you'd have to wait in order to play the adventures, because they didn't have enough material to run for a month.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Ottergame said:
No, Dungeon lost half of it's content. They had to make adventures shorter, or give them clean breaks to span multipul issues. That means there were to many times you'd have to wait in order to play the adventures, because they didn't have enough material to run for a month.

Right, but the quote was that Poly readers that canceled subscriptions when Poly was killed totally are the same as Dungeon readers that canceled sub's because their content was reduced by 30% (or whatever percentage it was. :)

It's a big difference.

Ottergame

First Post
Vocenoctum said:
Right, but the quote was that Poly readers that canceled subscriptions when Poly was killed totally are the same as Dungeon readers that canceled sub's because their content was reduced by 30% (or whatever percentage it was. :)

It's a big difference.

But a lot more people canceled their subscriptions when they merged then was gained from the poly readers.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Ottergame said:
But a lot more people canceled their subscriptions when they merged then was gained from the poly readers.
No one's argueing that.

The quote was that Poly readers quiting when the magazine got rid of their content entirely was the same as Dungeon readers quiting because their content was reduced.

d4

First Post
Ottergame said:
Online magazines tend to be fan run affairs. There's no real quality control, editing is done by non-professions, and articles tend to mostly be lower quality. There's just not enough money in them to make them professional publications.
yeah, that Pyramid Online is so amateurish and unprofessional... [/sarcasm]

i think an online Poly could do quite well. the vast majority of the cost of making a magazine is in printing and distribution. you almost entirely remove those costs by moving online.

i want to see Poly return in some form or another. it was the only reason why i ever purchased an issue of that magazine. i currently have no reason whatsoever to support Paizo.

Remove ads