No LONGER dead to me.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Joshua Dyal said:
Oddly enough, Paizo is now dead to me, partly because of this move.

hee :)

Paizo isn't dead to me, but I've decided not to renew DRAGON and DUNGEON when my subs run out, and occasionally pick up issues on the news stand instead if I'm interested in what's inside.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Paizo's not dead to me. I just choose not to buy any more Dung after #113.

I will continue to buy Dragon but I may rant about the new typeface for their title to mark a new beginning for Paizo. "Ick," "eww," and "ugh" come to mind.

Vocenoctum

First Post
BelenUmeria said:
I think you're in the minority on this one. Poly was a mistake. It never had a subscriber base because it was offered free with RPGA membership. They seriously miscalculated when adding it to Dungeon because they thought the RPGA people would all subscribe for the mag. I'll bet that very few of them did and most of those who would, already subscribed to Dungeon.

The issue's been raked through the coals before. There were a lot of Poly folks that bought the mag for Poly, but didn't object to Dungeon or threaten to quit buying because Dungeon got the limelight. A lot of Dungeon fans wanted ONLY Dungeon.

But really, the repeated Poly-condemnation has run it's course. Let the subject die at this point, please.

dead said:
Did someone mention my name?

So, is Poly gonna get it's own magazine???
Poly's just gone...and we lost Star Wars stuff AGAIN. Argh. There HAS to be a market for the SWd20 content...*grumbles about conspiracies against all non-D&D d20 games*

Painfully

First Post
They answer your question in the editorial in #113. No, it won't be back on newsstands as a standalone magazine. It's not financially viable. Maybe as a web-zine, it may show up.

The loss of subscriptions from attaching Poly to Dungeon did a fair amount of damage to Paizo. But even more damaging than that, IMO, is that they don't seem to have a consistent vision for Dungeon. At the rate they keep going, a year (or less) from now, Paizo will rearrange Dungeon all over again. It's that uneasiness that will probably keep me turned off to subscribing again for a while, no matter how good their new new Dungeon magazine is.

National Acrobat

First Post
Exactly

jaerdaph said:
hee :)

Paizo isn't dead to me, but I've decided not to renew DRAGON and DUNGEON when my subs run out, and occasionally pick up issues on the news stand instead if I'm interested in what's inside.

My sentiments exactly. My Dungeon subscription has already run out, I didn't renew it, and I won't with Dragon. Part of the reason is that I really don't play 3E anymore. My friends and I do once in awhile, but we went back to playing 1E, and Original Traveller and the d6 Star Wars games. So, why spend money on something that doesn't support your game? Funny thing is, I've been a Dragon subscriber since 1984 or so.

Last edited:

Belen

Adventurer
Vocenoctum said:
The issue's been raked through the coals before. There were a lot of Poly folks that bought the mag for Poly, but didn't object to Dungeon or threaten to quit buying because Dungeon got the limelight. A lot of Dungeon fans wanted ONLY Dungeon.

But really, the repeated Poly-condemnation has run it's course. Let the subject die at this point, please.

I did not condemn it. I just stated that it was a mistake. Personally, I was never a fan of it and that includes when I was paying member of the RPGA. And several poly readers have decided to stop buying since the decision, so you cannot say they did not react the same way.

If the situation had been handled better, then the outcry would not have existed, but adding a mag that had no subscribers to a mag that already had subscribers can not be labeled a GOOD idea. Sounds like it was a political decision that WOTC made in order to assuage any complaints from RPGA members that the mag that came with their membership was canceled.

Also, no true gaming organization exists to help promote the hobby and create a stable base for a d20/ gamer mag. The RPGA is basically a WOTC lapdog and playtest organization now and no longer really supports non-WOTC campaigns, therefore, no longer supports the gaming community as a whole.

An organization that did support the entire hobby would have the ability to provide a true Polyhedron.

As of now, it's hard to complain about a DnD magazine choosing to include only DnD, especially, when the subscriber base for Poly is so small.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Here's how Paizo should handle the Poly problem: take it online. Make it available for a relatively low subscription fee on their website. This keeps all that d20 material out there for use. If there is enough interest (and a large enough subscription base), they can migrate it to print in a year or two.

--G

Remove ads