D&D 5E To Post or Not to Post: An Ethics Question

[MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION], I know where you are going with this. And I'm not going to have a debate with you about it. Suffice it to say in your country and mine what you are suggesting is illegal. In almost every ethical system what you are suggesting is unethical.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Something that is being ignored is fair use. I'm not saying that this is a case of that (I'm not a copyright lawyer) but it certainly sounds like the work is transformative (by recontextualizing the works) and there is certainly no impact on the "market" as the works have already been freely shared on the Internet.

So the legality and the ethics are not as cut and dried as they may appear. And [MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION] is correct that an awful lot of stuff on the internet would be illegal if including others work was the only criteria.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
So here's an example of my doing something illegal. I uploaded some cool "inspiration " cards for D&D that used images that are owned by WotC (and the D&D logo- OMG). Was WotC harmed by this? I dunno, if yes, in a tiny way. Will they come after me? I doubt it. Did D&D gamers get a cool accessory? I think so.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
[MENTION=94143]Shasarak[/MENTION], I know where you are going with this. And I'm not going to have a debate with you about it. Suffice it to say in your country and mine what you are suggesting is illegal. In almost every ethical system what you are suggesting is unethical.

As you are not going to discuss it then there is nothing more to say. Good day, sir.

Remove ads