D&D 5E To Post or Not to Post: An Ethics Question

Negflar2099

Explorer
For the past few weeks I've been busy building up towards a new campaign I want to DM for my group. It's going to be a conversion of the 3.0 Dragonstar campaign setting by Fantasy Flight Games. I've been writing a campaign book for that conversion.

Well, I've finally finished my campaign book and it's a beast. 296 freaken pages. In it I've gathered every single thing that I like for 5e, no matter where I found it, then I adapted and tweaked it to work with the other stuff I was using.

This all sounds like I've done a lot of work for it, but the truth is I've grabbed and adapted a lot of things from a lot of different sources. I grabbed group backgrounds from a post on the World Builder Blog (and added a bunch of new ones), created new subclasses for a Scholar class someone else post on the UA Reddit thread (adapted from classes for the rogue made by Middle Finger of Vecna and others), adapted the Rigger class from a post on the Murder Nerds blog. I even through in the Downtime activity stuff from the recent UA article (slightly changed to account for life in a star spanning Empire).

I'm feeling very torn about this book. I meant it only to be used by my gaming group, so I didn't think it was a problem to mix and grab other stuff. Plus I dumped in a lot of art I found on the web. But now my group is asking me to post it somewhere. I was thinking I would put it here, but I don't know if it's right to do so.

Throughout the book I try to make it clear what's mine and what isn't but even though I think I did my best it's all mixed up. I was focusing more on getting it done then anything else.

I would never post it on the DMs Guild or sell or it anything like that. If I put it here it's strictly so other's could use it if they find it worthy of their time, but even that feels off to me.

What is everyone's thoughts? Am I overthinking this and should I just post it and be done? Or would that re-purposing other's work and so I shouldn't post it?

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I would definitely have an acknowledgements section right up front where you list the people you can credit and mention something about others to numerous to mention.

Provide contact info in case people would like a credit (and say you'll keep the document updated with credits as they come in)

Also state that this intended for personal use only. Anyone attempting to use the material for commercial purposes should ensure they have obtained the necessary permissions.

Add that and I think you'll be in good shape.

S'mon

Legend
To be safest I think you should really only be posting this to a password-protected Google docs site or similar where it is only accessible to your group. Or at any rate be ready to take it down if someone objects. If all the material you use was already available free online you may be ok but do acknowledge and list all your sources.

If you copied sentences and paragraphs from others work, then distributing it, even if you do so for free and attempt to acknowledge the other authors is illegal unless you have the explicit permission to do so. If you have used other's artwork, in whole or in part, you can not distribute it without permission to do so.

Again, none of it matters what your intent is or if you are making money on it or if you acknowledge others.

As others have said, you can distribute it to your players, via email or a password protected site, but you can't "give it" to the community.

Remove ads