D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

3catcircus

Adventurer
"White male privilege" is not a label. It's a behavior or scenario.

This is a mistake that *every* progressive-thinking person in western society makes. Calling it white male privilege is a fallacy. It is "what those who are in the majority of a given society's makeup" do. I've lived (and continue to work) in predominantly Asian cultures (Japan, South Korea). They are some of the most blatant but polite "-ists" you'll ever meet. It isn't done out of malice. It isn't even a behavior, per se. It is a societal hivemind collective. I can't count on one hand the number of times I'd be in line at a store in Korea, step up to the counter, and immediately be cut in front of by a native - and just as quickly be ignored by the store clerk who would turn to help them. Or the innumerable "no Gaijin" establishments in Japan. They aren't doing anything *wrong* in doing so. They are simply avoiding a difficult situation. It is easier to help someone who speaks your language. It is easier to serve drinks to a customer who you know isn't going to become a "problem." One could easily, as a non-Asian term their behavior "Asian Privilege."

That unconscious and unintended bias is *vastly* different than actively going out of your way to sabotage someone's career, housing, or educational prospects because they are different than you.

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
to push and somehow forcibly change another.

This is a weird sentiment that gets repeated. It's similar to the free speech one.

No one is pushing. No one is forcing. No one is infringing on their free speech.*

They are being told that they are asshats. Their choice is to stop being an asshat or go away. People can choose who they associate with. Not associating with abusive and toxic people is not 'forcibly changing them'.

It's not my responsibility to hang out with jerks. Just as it isn't Mearls' responsibility to listen to them or value their opinions.

*Well not no one. These things happen to marginalized peoples all the time. People who face actual violence, coercion, and suspension of their rights.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Wow. The whole idea that people would jump all over this hiring decision is kind of horrible. It's especially bad for a niche (ish) hobby that is trying to grow and be more inclusive in order to broaden itself and make itself better. The thread that got closed on this site is pretty bad, honestly. This thread is pretty bad, honestly. Mike's tweet is sort of crappy but it's still well short of the reaction of many people, and I'm glad he's at least trying to say that this behavior isn't cool. Honestly none of this behavior is cool.

I think it is the case of a few loud voices. Even on a message board which I think we can agree has more toxic people than the general population (of 5e players), his tweet is still supported by the vast majority. Here is exp given to 3 posts on the first page supporting Mearls' tweet.

ad_hoc, 77IM, Parmandur, DM Dave1, dave2008 and 18 others gave XP for this post

77IM, lowkey13, Patrick McGill, Parmandur, rogermexico and 17 others gave XP for this post

XP Elfcrusher, darjr, Patrick McGill, Saelorn, ad_hoc and 14 others gave XP for this post

It's wonderful that the D&D team are standing up against this sort of behaviour. If they do it enough hopefully we will have fewer and fewer toxic people in our community.

hawkeyefan

Legend
He draws the connect between the two. The CLEAR implication is that the criticism of her strategy/lore balance is indicative of sexism.

He talks about how many of the "fans" focused on rule complexity over lore density ALSO have a problem with women in gaming. He DIRECTLY correlates them. He is saying that criticizing her focus on lore over strategy is indicative of sexism - that the vast majority of people unwilling to support hiring people with limited rules focus are doing it because they're sexist. As I discussed, that is unfair and - in my experience - unfairly applied. I know a number of brilliant female strategists - rules lawyers, field generals, tricksters, and gamers of many colors. They might very well have doubts about her (I have not asked, but will). Isn't that counter indicative of his postulated correlation between 'people that prefer their game makers to be rules focused' and 'sexism'?

I also accept Paypal.

I don’t agree with your interpretation at all. As already lointed out, he is not comparing mechanics vs lore. He’s sayibg that these things can typically be used by gatekeepers to keep “outsiders” from the game.

Then he says that it seems like lots of people that gatekeep in this way also seem to want to keep women from the game. He’s not commenting on Kate’s preferred playstyle at all.

I can see why you might draw that conclusion....the impulse to take a mention of “rules complexity” AND “lore density” and then read it as the age old “mechanics” vs. “roleplay” seems natural. But that’s not what he’s doing. It’s what you’re doing.

He also is in no way saying that women cannot enjoy or excel at strategy. I’m not sure how you drew that conclusion.

epithet

Explorer
Use some of those funds to take a reading comprehension course and revisit our discussion. Any you're apparently overpaid. Seriously - he correlates guarding the game based upon rules/lore concerns with sexism. Do you not know anyone that would potentially be critical of her hiring, based upon rules/lore concerns, that would not be basing their beliefs on sexist legs?

If not, also spend some of those unearned funds on expanding your social circle.

Yes, he does correlate gatekeeping (based on rules & lore) with sexism. Clearly he does. I never said he didn't. I corrected your assertion that he correlated an aversion to "lore over strategy" with sexism. He never did that.

I don't know anyone who would give a crap about her hiring, either way. Sorry. To the best of my knowledge, the only people I've ever spoken with who are even aware of this issue are on this forum. That said, I can imagine that watching the video linked in the first post of the old, locked thread would lead some people to a knee-jerk reaction about "gameplay" and how it has to trump story and lore. The reason I can imagine that is because I saw exactly the same argument unfold on the SWTOR forums as that game was in development. A significant number of people were arguing that gameplay and "balance" were paramount, and should in all instances trump considerations of Star Wars lore and BioWare storytelling. Others asserted that the lore and story were the only reason for the game in the first place, without which they might as well not waste their time. Yes, certain developers were criticised for expressed opinions on that issue. No, none of the ones who had made their opinions known were (as I recall) women.

I also remember that during the development of Dragon Age Inquisition a developer made a comment in the context of being able to "space bar" past cut scenes and conversations in the game if you were in a hurry to get to the combat bits. Her comment was that maybe you should be able to space bar past the combat to get to the cut scenes and dialog. She said it as a joke, but the internet exploded. There was a general consensus at BioWare that the backlash had sexist motivation. I don't know, I thought her joke was funny, and I've often wished I could "space bar" past the trash fights in BioWare games.

So, yeah... I can see how someone could get the knickers in a bunch over the lore/strategy thing and carry on cranky for reasons entirely unrelated to the gender of the new hire. I can't really see why anyone would object to hiring a female designer. I can see your point, and I understand where you're coming from.

You still completely mischaracterized Mike's tweet, and I corrected you. "Gatekeeping via rules and lore" is not the same as arguing over the strategy/lore balance.

jgsugden

Legend
For the record: I'm done with this topic. I encourage those of you that disagree with me to schedule a reminder to come back and review your arguments 6 months from now. When you're less emotional, you may see flaws in your logic that you're obscuring now.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
anyone have a link where I can communicate with this new designer and wish them luck and success in their new job?

Nevermind. When straight to the designer's twitter page.

Last edited:

epithet

Explorer
He also is in no way saying that women cannot enjoy or excel at strategy. I’m not sure how you drew that conclusion.

I think you and I are in general agreement in this thread, but I can see how someone could (with some effort) come to the conclusion that Mike's tweet was casting aspersions on women's facility with complex rules and dense lore.

If you accept that "rules complexity and lore density" are being used to "gatekeep" women away from the tabletop RPGs, it can be taken to imply that those are some sort of girl kryptonite. Spread some rules complexity and some lore density around the tree, and it will keep the girls out of the clubhouse. Yes, it is ridiculous. Completely. I can, however, see how the argument was put together, and the parts that were used.

Edit: I feel like I should also lay out why it's a load of crap. Not for you, obviously, but for thread tourists who might not be paying much attention and pick up the wrong idea. That sort of "gatekeeping" can be used against anyone. Really - anyone. You can find things in the rules I'm not aware of, and there is a lot of "Realmslore" I've blissfully ignored. Upthread you can find someone jokingly disqualifying Mike himself for his role in 4e. The thing about purity tests is that no one can pass them. Mike's tweet suggested that this sort of purity test was being applied to Kate because some guys didn't want a girl in the clubhouse, but it was absolutely not intended to (nor could it be reasonably interpreted to) suggest that she or any other woman is less capable of passing. Again, that's the thing about purity tests - no one can pass except for those who are given the answers.

And that's why Mike wasn't insulting women. (And also why using twitter to vent his spleen wasn't the best idea since ever.)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads