If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Hence my advice, “don’t worry about it.” We DMs have a way of working ourselves and each other into a frenzy over things that don’t actually matter nearly as much as we think they do when the dice actually hit the table. I used to think of metagaming as the cardinal sin of RPGs, the root of all roleplaying evil. In my defense, this was pretty much treated as common knowledge in the 3.5 and 4e eras that I was brought up in, and I never thought to question it. But then a funny thing happened during the 5e playtest. A lot of high-profile DMs started making the bold public assertion that metagaming wasn’t a big deal. I was skeptical at first, but eventually I decided to try letting go of my anxieties about metagaming. And not only did the game survive, it improved.

Right. DMs are famous for creating their own problems, then working hard to come up with solutions to the problems they've created. The game gets all wobbly and complicated and they often turn to the social contract to fix those problems (e.g. "no metagaming" or "play your ability scores").

A better solution, in my view, is to not create those problems in the first place.

Bawylie

A very OK person
Hence my advice, “don’t worry about it.” We DMs have a way of working ourselves and each other into a frenzy over things that don’t actually matter nearly as much as we think they do when the dice actually hit the table. I used to think of metagaming as the cardinal sin of RPGs, the root of all roleplaying evil. In my defense, this was pretty much treated as common knowledge in the 3.5 and 4e eras that I was brought up in, and I never thought to question it. But then a funny thing happened during the 5e playtest. A lot of high-profile DMs started making the bold public assertion that metagaming wasn’t a big deal. I was skeptical at first, but eventually I decided to try letting go of my anxieties about metagaming. And not only did the game survive, it improved.

What’s a high profile DM?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
What’s a high profile DM?

Ya know. A DM who posts stuff about D&D on the internet, and people actually read/listen to. And since the 5e playtest was happening, at the time, that meant like... all the WotC forum regulars. My taste in RPGs was very much still developing, and I had only just started to dip my toe into DMing. You and Iserith were certainly both influential on my developing DMing style. I recall Mellored being someone I enjoyed reading. And there were a fair number of D&D blogs at the time, most of which I don’t remember, but the Angry GM was among those I was reading at the time.

Nowadays with the advent of streaming games and D&D advice YouTube, you’ve got folks like Matt Mercer, Chris Perkins, Griffin McElroy, Jim Davis, the Nerdarchy folks, etc.

Last edited:

Bawylie

A very OK person
Ya know. A DM who posts stuff about D&D on the internet, and people actually read/listen to. And since the 5e playtest was happening, at the time, that meant like... all the WotC forum regulars. My taste in RPGs was very much still developing, and I had only just started to dip my toe into DMing. You and Iserith were certainly both influential on my developing DMing style. I recall Mellored being someone I enjoyed reading. And there were a fair number of D&D blogs at the time, most of which I don’t remember, but the Angry GM was among those I was reading at the time.

Nowadays with the advent of streaming games and D&D advice YouTube, you’ve got folks like Matt Mercer, Chris Perkins, Griffin McElroy, Jim Davis, the Nerdarchy folks, etc.

Alright. I only recognize a few of those names and I don’t watch the streams. But I suppose the streaming draws the most eyes.

G

Guest 6801328

Ya know. A DM who posts stuff about D&D on the internet, and people actually read/listen to.

Oh! Like [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=97077]iserith[/MENTION]?

(On a totally unrelated note: [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION]...check your messages.)

pemerton

Legend
once the fighter is on the spot I don't like a pre-ordained "you must use a social skill now." Let the fighter propose something. "Let me fight your champion!" "I'll pull out that gem-encrusted goblet and offer it to the king as a gift of my esteem." Whatever.
Sure. I thought I gave some examples of my own along these lines.

But in the approach I take (which, if I was running 5e, I would bring to bear - because in this particular respect I don't see 5e as that different from 4e), these would still require a check. But the DC required to persuade a Troll King to allow a fight between fighter and champion might well be lower than the DC to persuade a Troll King to let the PC go.

Certainly the players deciding to seek out the troll king (somewhat) changes the dynamic, as opposed to, for example, them being captured and then dragged in front of the troll king.
To me, this raises the question of how much should failure snowball? This is very system dependent, but my overall take is that if the players are unsuccessful and so their PCs are captured by the Troll King, then they can expect to have to make some suboptimal moves. A bit like when a fight goes bad and the wizard has to start declaring melee attacks.

At some point in this rambling conversation it was brought up that players who would worry about failing a roll and making a situation worse would simply choose not to roll. They would remain neutral as a counter to the consequences of failure.

So, it was proposed, that there should not only be consequences for failure, but consequences for doing nothing. So, exactly what I said. Consequence for failing and consequence for doing nothing.
That was me, not [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION].

As per a post I made not too long ago days-wise but maybe 100+ posts upthread, there are different approaches possible and this thread is bringing out some of those differences. Just to mention some of the posters I've interacted with:

The approach I'm describing (which I use in 4e and which I think could be ported to 5e) has some similiarities to [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION]'s, but is not identical (as can be seen in the discussion of the Audience With the Troll King scenario). [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] also does some things similar to me - eg in some recent posts mentions the idea of keeping up the pressure on the players via their PCs - but not identically I don't think.

I also have some similiarites to [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION] - eg regarding the fictional specification of the declared action as very important - but some differences - eg I call for more checks than they do (see my quote upthread from Luke Crane for the reasons why).

I have had far too many players who are so scared of failing and making things worse for the party that instead they opt to do nothing.

So, when I see people saying that by adding more consequences for failing a roll than simply defaulting to the status quo, and that makes their players more eager to act, that goes against everything I have seen with new players. The more consequences there are, the more likely they are to withdraw.

<snip>

Failing forward is great, I love that style. But that was not the style I was addressing. This style seems more like "checks shouldn't be rolled unless failure hurts" and that is why I said the fighter puts there foot in their mouth. Under that style, as I understand it, it cannot be that the fighter simply fails to persuade the Troll King. It must be that the fighter makes the situation worse by failing to persuade the Troll King. Losing him as an ally, turning him into an enemy, accidentally getting embroiled in an honor duel, something to make the situation worse than it was before the fighter took the check.
I don't know for sure what you mean by "fail forward" - it's a term that has become somewhat bowdlerised. When I use it I mean it in the sense that Jonathan Tweet uses it (in both 13th Age and the foreword to the 20th Anniversary edition of Over the Edge - I think the wording is identical, or close to, in both sources). Here's the 13th Age quote (p 42):

A simple but powerful improvement you can make to your game is to redefine failure as “things go wrong” instead of “the PC isn’t good enough.” Ron Edwards, Luke Crane, and other indie RPG designers have championed this idea, and they’re exactly right. You can call it “fail forward” or “no whiffing.” . . .

A more constructive way to interpret failure is as a near-success or event that happens to carry unwanted consequences or side effects. The character probably still fails to achieve the desired goal, but that’s because something happens on the way to the goal rather than because nothing happens.​

And I posted a quote from Luke Crane's BW rulebook on failure and consequences upthread. So what I am talking about is exactly "fail forward". And losing the Troll King as an ally, or getting embroiled in an honour duel, would be paradigm examples.

If you've got players turtling because of the fear of failure then to me that's a sign that you're not using fail forward at all. (Or else it's a sign that they don't want to play the game - I don't know how common this is, but I have had strange experiences in club games where there are players there who clearly don't want to be playing.)

For the character, of course having to fight an honour duel is a bad thing. But for the player, that's exactly what playing the game looks like, isn't it? And fighting the honour duel with the Troll King's champion is more interesting than fighting Random Monster #101. In more general terms, unless the player is planning to finish playing the game, having things get worse in the fiction doesn't stop the game being exciting and engaging.

I HATE when the result of the die roll determines what the character does or says. It’s MY character, I should be the one to decide what they do or say, not the dice. If at any point the result of the roll overrides my agency as a player, the dice are overstepping their role, in my opinion. Now, I’m well aware that others feel differently, and that’s fine. Some people find, the idea that the 8-Charisma barbarian could give a stirring speech without having to roll really high just as atrocious as I find the idea that “your character didn’t really say that, you didn’t roll well enough.” And there’s really no reconciling such diametrically opposed playstyles.
I think I draw the boundary here a bit differently from you - for instance, I regard "You reach for the handhold but miss, and slide down a few feet before catching yourself on a ledge" as a permissible narration of a failed check made to resolve a climb. And upthread I gave some other examples, like narrating a missed attack as losing one's footing in muddy ground or narrating being hit as being successfully feinted by the opponent. In the example of wiping the poison of a doorknob, I would regard You must be more tired than you think you are - you missed a spot as acceptable.

But I also think that this brings us back to the narration of failure. There are many ways to narrate a failed check made to influence a NPC by way of a rousing speech that don't require narrating that the character didn't speak well.

that's what I saw a lot of people doing in D&D 3.Xe and D&D 4e, particularly the latter. Mechanics first, fiction second. The mechanics were always "right," and you had to figure out how to make that make sense in context. "I diplomacy check that guy... oops, natty 1. I guess I insulted his mother."
And for what it's worth, I think this approach has no more support from the 4e DMG than from the 5e rules. In fact it directly contradicts what is said in the 4e DMG discussion of how to frame and adjudicate checks in a skill challenge, which - to borrow a phrase from a different game - emphasises that such checks begin and end with the fiction.

the game got way better when I stopped trying to maintain a hardline division between player knowledge and character knowledge and police what characters “would do” or “wouldn’t do.”
Deciding what the character would or wouldn't do is something I leave up to the player. It also depends a bit on system: to give an example, I've been playing quite a bit of Classic Traveller recently, and I think there is an expectation in that system that a player's play of his/her PC will, to some extent, represent the INT stat of the character.

To elaborate: in our 4e game the fact that most of the PCs had relatively low INT compared to the rest of their stats only really came into play when knowledge-type checks were called for. But in our Traveller game players look to the INT of a PC to get a sense of what that character ought to be doing - in particular, there have been a couple of ex-military PCs with low INT but high Education who have been played as "everything they know they learned from the manuals"-types.

Why the difference? 4e has a very structured system that "directs" the player into tactically and mechanically sound choices for his/her PC (the character's "powers", the character's strong skills, etc). And nothing about it suggests that the rules are a "model" of the PC: they're clearly a set of parameters for underpinning and then adjudicating action declrations. We learn who a PC is from the outcomes of those action declarations in the fiction. The fighter will present, in the fiction, as a physically rather than intellectually oriented character simply in virtue of what the player is led to do with the character in virtue of those established parameters. There's no need, in addition, to "roleplay" the character's stats.

Traveller, on the other hand, is quite different. The PC build process is clearly a model of the PC's life so far. The numbers on the PC sheet are a model of the character: they're not a set of "moves" or parameters for declaring actions. No one had to direct or even suggest that the low-INT chacracter's aren't that bright: the players could see this as implicit in the way the system presents the PC as a tool for play. Similarly it wasn't at all controversial that when we were wondering which character might be the right one to wriggle through the slit-window of a gun emplacement, it was the one with high DEX but low STR and END. Whereas in 4e we wouldn't ask about stats: any player could try to have his/her PC do it, making an Acrobatics check to see how it went.

I used to think of metagaming as the cardinal sin of RPGs, the root of all roleplaying evil. In my defense, this was pretty much treated as common knowledge in the 3.5 and 4e eras that I was brought up in
This caught me by surprise. Or maybe I've missed something about who's criticisng what? Anyway, what surprised me was that I saw lots of criticism directed at 4e on the basis that it encourages and sometimes depends upon "metagaming". From my point of view, I saw this aspect of 4e reflecting D&D catching up with changes in game design that had been taking place since the second half of the 90s.

Hussar

Legend
I bet if you set your forum settings to show more posts per page, it will increase my rules-mentions to 6 in one page which will make me look even more like a monster.

From my perspective, it looks more like I point to rules to show why I do what I do, not to show why you're "wrong." Because I don't think you're wrong. You just play differently.

Heh. Ok, fair enough. I over reacted. But, you have to understand what this looks like from my side of the screen.
"We play this way..."

"Well, I play this way because that's what the rules of the game says"

"Yes, we get that but, we don't like that way, so we don't play that way."

"Well, that's what the rules say and I am following the rules of the game.

"But, we don't really care what the rules of the game says, our way works for us."

"I'm only following the rules of the game. If you would just follow the rules of the game, it would work so much better for you."

On and on and on. While I realize you are just stating why you play the way you do, and that's fair, repeating it so often does look very much like an appeal to authority. On my good days, I just ignore it. On my bad days, well, it just flies up my left nostril. :p

Yeah, insulting the king doesn’t go over well no matter what your charisma is.

Let’s take 2 adventurers. One with Cha 20 and Persuasion and one with Cha 10. Both wish to convince the king to lend them a vanguard for use in a dance competition in the slums. The king feels this is a terrible use of trained soldiers. Both adventurers decide they will attempt to persuade the king to lend the vanguard by convincing him it will show a friendlier side of the guard to the people. The king sort of cares about his soldiers’ rep but not much.

As DM, I judge this to be a difficult task. The goal is clear - get the king to lend the vanguard. The approach is clear - try to convince him of the reputation benefits. The DC is clear - 20 for a hard task.

The adventurer with 20 Cha and Persuasion needs to hit a 12. The adventurer with 10 Cha needs to hit a 20.

It’s way more likely our silver-tongued ally will succeed than our more blunt ally. But the DC is a 20 regardless. What’s more, it doesn’t matter how good of an explanation either Player gives. No matter how many eloquent words the player of the blunt character uses, the DC is still 20 for this particular approach to this particular goal. And no matter how much of a mumble-mouth our player of the Cha 20 character is, they’ll still have a +8 to the roll.

Pretty neat, eh? The scenario challenges the players. The difficulty of the task challenges the characters.

See, to me, this is a perfect example of why I don't play this way. If, as [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] says, " it doesn’t matter how good of an explanation either Player gives", then why am I giving any explanation at all? If the DC is static, then what's the point? I can be as silver tongued or as tongue tied or just say, "I persuade the King, Persuasion X" and the end result is identical. Me, I would much, much rather that the player narrates the results than the lead up to the roll. The lead up may be contradicted by the roll. The results won't be.

Now, OTOH, if, as say, [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] says, we are playing to the player and not the character, then what I say absolutely matters. If I can say it right, I won't even have to make a check, or, depending on how well I do it, my DC will be reduced (which effectively grants me bonuses on my die roll). Again, and I think I stated this way, way back in the early pages of this thread, it makes me, the DM, too visible as now I'm judging performances, which I don't want to do.

So, I'd rather be like [MENTION=6674266]Ba[/MENTION]ywilie where it doesn't matter what explanation the player gives and then take it a step further and skip the explanation (which doesn't matter) and go right to the result, which does matter.

5ekyu

Hero
Sure. I thought I gave some examples of my own along these lines.

But in the approach I take (which, if I was running 5e, I would bring to bear - because in this particular respect I don't see 5e as that different from 4e), these would still require a check. But the DC required to persuade a Troll King to allow a fight between fighter and champion might well be lower than the DC to persuade a Troll King to let the PC go.

To me, this raises the question of how much should failure snowball? This is very system dependent, but my overall take is that if the players are unsuccessful and so their PCs are captured by the Troll King, then they can expect to have to make some suboptimal moves. A bit like when a fight goes bad and the wizard has to start declaring melee attacks.

That was me, not [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION].

As per a post I made not too long ago days-wise but maybe 100+ posts upthread, there are different approaches possible and this thread is bringing out some of those differences. Just to mention some of the posters I've interacted with:

The approach I'm describing (which I use in 4e and which I think could be ported to 5e) has some similiarities to [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION]'s, but is not identical (as can be seen in the discussion of the Audience With the Troll King scenario). [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] also does some things similar to me - eg in some recent posts mentions the idea of keeping up the pressure on the players via their PCs - but not identically I don't think.

I also have some similiarites to [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] and [MENTION=6779196]Charlaquin[/MENTION] - eg regarding the fictional specification of the declared action as very important - but some differences - eg I call for more checks than they do (see my quote upthread from Luke Crane for the reasons why).

I don't know for sure what you mean by "fail forward" - it's a term that has become somewhat bowdlerised. When I use it I mean it in the sense that Jonathan Tweet uses it (in both 13th Age and the foreword to the 20th Anniversary edition of Over the Edge - I think the wording is identical, or close to, in both sources). Here's the 13th Age quote (p 42):

A simple but powerful improvement you can make to your game is to redefine failure as “things go wrong” instead of “the PC isn’t good enough.” Ron Edwards, Luke Crane, and other indie RPG designers have championed this idea, and they’re exactly right. You can call it “fail forward” or “no whiffing.” . . .

A more constructive way to interpret failure is as a near-success or event that happens to carry unwanted consequences or side effects. The character probably still fails to achieve the desired goal, but that’s because something happens on the way to the goal rather than because nothing happens.​

And I posted a quote from Luke Crane's BW rulebook on failure and consequences upthread. So what I am talking about is exactly "fail forward". And losing the Troll King as an ally, or getting embroiled in an honour duel, would be paradigm examples.

If you've got players turtling because of the fear of failure then to me that's a sign that you're not using fail forward at all. (Or else it's a sign that they don't want to play the game - I don't know how common this is, but I have had strange experiences in club games where there are players there who clearly don't want to be playing.)

For the character, of course having to fight an honour duel is a bad thing. But for the player, that's exactly what playing the game looks like, isn't it? And fighting the honour duel with the Troll King's champion is more interesting than fighting Random Monster #101. In more general terms, unless the player is planning to finish playing the game, having things get worse in the fiction doesn't stop the game being exciting and engaging.

I think I draw the boundary here a bit differently from you - for instance, I regard "You reach for the handhold but miss, and slide down a few feet before catching yourself on a ledge" as a permissible narration of a failed check made to resolve a climb. And upthread I gave some other examples, like narrating a missed attack as losing one's footing in muddy ground or narrating being hit as being successfully feinted by the opponent. In the example of wiping the poison of a doorknob, I would regard You must be more tired than you think you are - you missed a spot as acceptable.

But I also think that this brings us back to the narration of failure. There are many ways to narrate a failed check made to influence a NPC by way of a rousing speech that don't require narrating that the character didn't speak well.

And for what it's worth, I think this approach has no more support from the 4e DMG than from the 5e rules. In fact it directly contradicts what is said in the 4e DMG discussion of how to frame and adjudicate checks in a skill challenge, which - to borrow a phrase from a different game - emphasises that such checks begin and end with the fiction.

Deciding what the character would or wouldn't do is something I leave up to the player. It also depends a bit on system: to give an example, I've been playing quite a bit of Classic Traveller recently, and I think there is an expectation in that system that a player's play of his/her PC will, to some extent, represent the INT stat of the character.

To elaborate: in our 4e game the fact that most of the PCs had relatively low INT compared to the rest of their stats only really came into play when knowledge-type checks were called for. But in our Traveller game players look to the INT of a PC to get a sense of what that character ought to be doing - in particular, there have been a couple of ex-military PCs with low INT but high Education who have been played as "everything they know they learned from the manuals"-types.

Why the difference? 4e has a very structured system that "directs" the player into tactically and mechanically sound choices for his/her PC (the character's "powers", the character's strong skills, etc). And nothing about it suggests that the rules are a "model" of the PC: they're clearly a set of parameters for underpinning and then adjudicating action declrations. We learn who a PC is from the outcomes of those action declarations in the fiction. The fighter will present, in the fiction, as a physically rather than intellectually oriented character simply in virtue of what the player is led to do with the character in virtue of those established parameters. There's no need, in addition, to "roleplay" the character's stats.

Traveller, on the other hand, is quite different. The PC build process is clearly a model of the PC's life so far. The numbers on the PC sheet are a model of the character: they're not a set of "moves" or parameters for declaring actions. No one had to direct or even suggest that the low-INT chacracter's aren't that bright: the players could see this as implicit in the way the system presents the PC as a tool for play. Similarly it wasn't at all controversial that when we were wondering which character might be the right one to wriggle through the slit-window of a gun emplacement, it was the one with high DEX but low STR and END. Whereas in 4e we wouldn't ask about stats: any player could try to have his/her PC do it, making an Acrobatics check to see how it went.

This caught me by surprise. Or maybe I've missed something about who's criticisng what? Anyway, what surprised me was that I saw lots of criticism directed at 4e on the basis that it encourages and sometimes depends upon "metagaming". From my point of view, I saw this aspect of 4e reflecting D&D catching up with changes in game design that had been taking place since the second half of the 90s.
"If you've got players turtling because of the fear of failure then to me that's a sign that you're not using fail forward at all. "

Indeed. One of the warm fuzzy moments I get as a GM is when one of my players says something like "well, this may not work but hrll, I know it will be fun" because they have seen that in my games various levels of fail forward and progress with setback etc etc show that they dont need to be afraid of daring and bold - just stupid and even then really grossly stupid.

There was a thread recently- might have been this one but do many blur together - where someone said something like "a player willing to risk the five is z sign the gm is not enforcing consequences for failure" and I felt (likely commented) that consequences dont have to be punishments to the point that they deter or scare off actions. They can be serious, problematic and yet entertaining and meaningful, well worth the risk.

Heck, my best treatment of "pc death" in rpgs involved a whole lot of changes, scenes, transformative events etc but all resulted in the PC back alive. Lots of fun for everyone.

As I often state, in RPGs it seems to me that the "risk" (and "stakes" tho I hate driving near thst term anymore) should be at its core "control" (in whole or in part) not "fun".

In my experience, when that is true, fear of failure goes way way down because "not going is often the lowest form of "surrender control" and you know that it's not uncommon for try and fail to give you partial control when "some and setback" hits (not just randomly.)

5ekyu

Hero
Heh. Ok, fair enough. I over reacted. But, you have to understand what this looks like from my side of the screen.
"We play this way..."

"Well, I play this way because that's what the rules of the game says"

"Yes, we get that but, we don't like that way, so we don't play that way."

"Well, that's what the rules say and I am following the rules of the game.

"But, we don't really care what the rules of the game says, our way works for us."

"I'm only following the rules of the game. If you would just follow the rules of the game, it would work so much better for you."

On and on and on. While I realize you are just stating why you play the way you do, and that's fair, repeating it so often does look very much like an appeal to authority. On my good days, I just ignore it. On my bad days, well, it just flies up my left nostril.

See, to me, this is a perfect example of why I don't play this way. If, as [MENTION=6776133]Bawylie[/MENTION] says, " it doesn’t matter how good of an explanation either Player gives", then why am I giving any explanation at all? If the DC is static, then what's the point? I can be as silver tongued or as tongue tied or just say, "I persuade the King, Persuasion X" and the end result is identical. Me, I would much, much rather that the player narrates the results than the lead up to the roll. The lead up may be contradicted by the roll. The results won't be.

Now, OTOH, if, as say, [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION] says, we are playing to the player and not the character, then what I say absolutely matters. If I can say it right, I won't even have to make a check, or, depending on how well I do it, my DC will be reduced (which effectively grants me bonuses on my die roll). Again, and I think I stated this way, way back in the early pages of this thread, it makes me, the DM, too visible as now I'm judging performances, which I don't want to do.

So, I'd rather be like [MENTION=6674266]Ba[/MENTION]ywilie where it doesn't matter what explanation the player gives and then take it a step further and skip the explanation (which doesn't matter) and go right to the result, which does matter.
I will add to this the part which was (I think left out for brevity).

The elements of what was said may result in advantage or disadvantage. The DC remains static, but if the player decides to include factors not related to themselves that make it more (or less) likely to work, then hey, blame, they get advantage, odds of success shift but that who "stats I as player chose" still plays a role.

So, is there a bit of lore they found that helps make the case?
Is there a tie-in with their past history that can be leveraged?
Do they already have the troll king's daughter in their corner hrlping?
Do they say "hey, dont decide yet. you got that fighting pit, why not you toss in one of your finest and let me get a workout while you chew it over?"

Etc etc etc.

That kind of thing to me is the sweet spot (imo) of the middle ground. Where for challenges that matter, player choices can influence greatly the chances of success (advantage, disadvantage, tactics, strategy, resources) but it still comes back to how well does the character do as resolved by a "check vs stats" (may or may not involve roll - by mostly pre-defined consistent auto-up/down criteria.)

Essentially, in terms of challenges that matter, the number of auto-win choices that dont refer back to character stats is practically nil.

G

Guest 6801328

We
So what is the genius part of this character?

It was a thread from a couple of years ago. I described a warlock who was brilliant, but at key moments (specifically, when called upon to make Int checks or saving throws) she often hid her genius from her companions.

Some people howled and screamed and called this cheating; others thought it was totally fine. Revealed a big divide.

Bringing this back on topic, it seems like a bunch of people only have one conception of what 8 Cha means. Maybe it’s a charming, eloquent character with a hot temper. Whenever she rolls low it means she can’t help herself and lashes out at the person she is talking to.

Remove ads