D&D 5E Magic Item Slots in D&D Next

What worn magic item slots do want to see in 5E?

• Longer slot list from older editions.

Votes: 21 13.2%
  • Shortened slot list from 4E.

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • Further condense the slot list.

Votes: 34 21.4%
  • Eliminate limits on worn magic items.

Votes: 43 27.0%
  • Other, please explain.

Votes: 29 18.2%

dafrca

First Post
I was unsure what my opinion would be when I started reading this thread. I could see arguments for and against any slot system.

Now that I have finished 11 pages I find myself thinking I would like to see a larger list of "slots" but I also think there needs to be a better discussion around what should and should not be allowed by the GM based on the type of setting they want. (smaller list of slots for low magic game, larger list for high magic)

Gilladian

Adventurer
But sir several people on the other side of the room like them being quite common as D&D without magic items..... just isnt D&D and pretending they have no impact on the math of the game is poppycock.

First off, it is ma'am, not sir. Secondly, I did a poor job explaining myself; allow me to restate. I don't much care what system the 5e designers establish for limiting the Christmas tree effect. My campaign world is very magic-light. The chance of a single PCM ever having a third ring to wear at the same time is so remote, that we'll deal with it "in the fiction" when it happens.

I think giving several options, including that one, is the best method.

But, yes, to address your math issue; they do affect the game and the DM should be smart enough to be able to judge the effects after a bit of exposure to the system. Flat math will make the effect of each + more pronounced. That's another reason I'm for quirky and fun items rather than + this stuff.

I think if you're going to get rid of explicit (3e/3.5e/4e) or implicit (1e/2e) assumptions of magic items (or mechanically equivalent inherent bonuses), then +X items have to die (or at least be relegated to artifacts). They change the math too much. I don't have any confidence WotC will do this, though.
+5% chance to hit isn't that huge, and if you hit half the time the bonus isn't going to be seen. It takes hundreds of swings and dozens of combats for a +1 or even +2 to make a statistical variance. But it feels impressive.
Magic items *should* have a significant impact on the game and with the flat math, even a +1 sword is impressive. That said, anything about +3 should be pretty darn rare and legendary.

Troll_Mage

First Post
After some thought, initially biased toward the structured format of 3.0/3.5 and reading some of the posts here, I voted no slots and believe its best to just leave it to the DM and his campaign preference in regards to power-level and quantity of magical items in his campaigns. Perhaps the DMG can provide some ideas on low-magic vs moderate magic vs high fantasy levels of magic and specify some comparison to fantasy novel/settings (middle-earth, Conan, Naria, final fantasy, etc.) that novice DMs could use as baseline to fit their campaign themes, taste, and comfort level.

My preference and feedback from players is that my campaign is low-to-moderate level of magic, with high flavor, some complex, and a smattering of dangerous items. I have had some experience with open run games at LFGS with players feeling that every adventure should have a magic item for their character and that every magic item recovered had to useful to someone in the party. On the other hand a DM at another LFGS ran a D&D 3.0 game to 5th level where we only ever found one magic item (a necklace of protection - which we didn't identify until nearly the end), that somehow cascaded into a series of side quests and fights and ended in a siege at a manor house we had to hold against an orc raiding band, who's bandit leader wanted the necklace back. It was a very well run campaign and we all wished the DM hadn't gotten transferred to CA.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
First off, it is ma'am, not sir
Pardon....
. Secondly, I did a poor job explaining myself; allow me to restate. I don't much care what system the 5e designers establish for limiting the Christmas tree effect. My campaign world is very magic-light.
Understood... I like attunement because it is evocative. (not even because I am certain I need a limit) I have been thinking of how one might use a inverse system where carrying more and more items have an impact on the character. Analogous to carrying more and more weight. I have had games in different eras with differing amounts of magic, I think supporting a variety instead of saying just wing it... is greatly preferable.

Flat math will make the effect of each + more pronounced. That's another reason I'm for quirky and fun items rather than + this stuff.

I love the quirky stuff and generally speaking prefer it where the heros own cool abilities are where most of his awesome comes from.

But I also like the idea of measuring that bling consistently even when different archetypes are side by side.
A Lancelot with Grand Masters Skill, as well as Blessings and Boons (that make his magic items seem truly innocuous), An Arthur with A sword of sharpness and a sheath that grants him damage resistance, And an Atlantean soldier with a set of minor items that he sees as equipment but which really add up.

Remove ads