D&D (2024) Dear Team WotC: Better Pact Magic Fixes

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So you would be fine if the cleric became an arcane caster? As long as they kept high level spells?
Different issue, but yeah if the fiction was that all spells are arcane, and clerics get these arcane spells from the gods, why not?

Anyways. I still think we have enough arcane casters.
Whether we do or not, I just cannot fathom the idea that this is enough justification to dramatically change what the warlock can do in the fiction, to make them less of a spellcaster.

mellored

Legend
Whether we do or not, I just cannot fathom the idea that this is enough justification to dramatically change what the warlock can do in the fiction, to make them less of a spellcaster.

"Warlocks are defined by pacts with otherworldly beings"

"Drawing on the subtle weave of magic that permeates the cosmos, wizards cast spells..."

Different sources. So no reason why they would have the same spells, or even same spell levels.

doctorbadwolf

"Drawing on the subtle weave of magic that permeates the cosmos, wizards cast spells..."

Different sources. So no reason why they would have the same spells, or even same spell levels.
It's a game where the spellcasters that are just spellcasters have a certain spell level progression, regardless of class or anything else.

Like if you want to propose an alternate warlock that works completely differently from the existing one, go ahead. I've done so more than once.

This exchange is just going round in circles. I'm back to where I was a few replies back. I'd rather not continue this.

mellored

Legend
Like if you want to propose an alternate warlock that works completely differently from the existing one, go ahead. I've done so more than once..
Yes. I would like it to be different from other classes.
And I have made suggestions.

The most obvious being back to 3e. Invocations only, but with the playtest Mystic Arcanum.

I'm of the opinion warlocks and bards should be split off from the other casters. And that warlocks are thematically closer to clerics than wizards in many ways.

doctorbadwolf

Yes. I would like it to be different from other classes.
And I have made suggestions.

The most obvious being back to 3e. Invocations only, but with the playtest Mystic Arcanum.
I’m building an alt warlock of sorts that is focused a little more but could easily be made more general like the warlock and use patrons for subclasses.

The translation to an actual alt warlock would be:

Hex at-will or recharged when your hex target drops. EB class feature like in the UA.

Ritual casting but no spell slots. You still have a spell level, and if you cast a spell via a class feature you cast it at the spell level for your warlock level. Smallish list of spells that gain the ritual tag.

You choose one pact boon at level 1, a second at level 5, and the third at level 11.
You can only have 1 boon active at a time, until 11 when you are able to use 2 at a time, and level 16 you can use all thre all the time. You choose your implements at the end of a long rest.

Each boon has bonus spells that you can cast once per long rest, and a class feature (the cantrips from the UA work)

You can cast a ritual spell without completing it, holding it ready until you need it. Only one at a time, and it takes the full ritual casting time to do so.

At level 2, you gain remnant charges when you gank a hex target, and you start each day with 2. You can use them to increase damage or impose a penalty to a saving throw.

At level 5, you can spend remnant charges equal to your current spell level to create a remnant crystal which can hold a ritual spell for you, and can make a number of remnant crystals equal to proficiency bonus per day.

Invocations increased to hit 13 by level 20, and some of them let you cast a spell 1/day of 6+ level, like in the UA.

Other odds and ends that don’t translate, but that’s the gist.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases