• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Is Spelljammer Coming To D&D 5E?

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

spelljammerbox.jpg

Here's Stan's report, direct from the trade show:

"Interesting Spelljammer and market news from the GAMA (Game Manufacturers Association) WOTC Seminar on March 13 in Reno (I’m there now).

Mark Price talked about D&D and showed some pictures from inside the upcoming Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes book. I have a few pictures (attached) prior to the Mordenkainen’s slides, but they asked us not to take or share pictures of the Mordenkainen’s book interior. They did show us a picture of a ‘Giff’ — a Spelljammer creature, which will be in the book. He looked like a steampunk hippo with a blunderbuss. Regarding why the creature was in the book, he said “I’ll let you speculate wildly about what that may mean.”

There was look of a wink in his eye so I’m pretty sure the hint was that Spelljammer is coming soon!

Other news from the seminar:

— 2017 was the best year for D&D ever in terms of sales
— Year 3 of D&D sales is stronger than their first year
— Actual play streaming is a key driver of D&D’s success, with 9 million users watching D&D on Twitch
— 8.6 million Americans have played D&D in the last 12 months (they did not give stats for overseas)"

It seems Xanathar's Guide was the fastest selling product in D&D history!

Wondering what Spelljammer is? Imagine D&D (2nd Edition) in space, except the ships are magic flying sailing galleons, and space is a "phlogiston" they can sail in with magical helms, and each world is in its own "crystal sphere", and all of D&D's settings exist in the same universe, and you can fly between them. Image above is of the AD&D 2E Spelljammer boxed set.

Of course, it might not be that. It might just be a monster entry Mordenkainen's Tome, and nothing more.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Regarding those Twitch stats (9M) -- that sounds totally realistic. A comparatively tiny place like EN World got 645K unique readers last month, and over 5M in the last 12 months. I would expect Twitch to get an order of magnitude or more higher. 9M totally feasible; it's probably more!

As [MENTION=17913]neuronphaser[/MENTION] said, back in 2004 the BBC said 3M people were playing D&D. Now it's over 8M. In America alone!

Also that BBC article has a link to EN World on it, which is awesome!

I love Spelljammer, in a similar way that I love 1970s jazz-fusion or the film Logan's Run or LPs. Spelljammer feels dated and very late 80s/early 90s, but also has a unique quality to it that just exudes pure imaginative fun.

It would be a really bold move, but it could possibly work to actually lean into that dated feel and crank up the 80's/90's over-the-top vibe. Flash Gordon with a Queen soundtrack, type of thing. Heroic women with big hair, and heroic men with big mustaches and hairy chests. Maybe even a chrome logo. :) I'm really unsure if that would be the best way to go (and doubt WotC would be that bold), but you have to admit, it would certainly be interesting to see. Going hard-retro is a viable market strategy for some things nowadays, so who knows? *shrug*

That said, I've always liked the idea of integrating Spelljammer and Planescape - that the SJ ships actually sail the Astral Sea, not the phlogiston/crystal sphere setup. Come to think of it, didn't 4E go this route?

Ah, yes, Planejamming! One of the folks in charge of Planewalker.com (Loki, you around here?) long ago started a Planejamming campaign, and I always thought the idea was awesome. Spelljammer and Planescape are two very distinct flavors, but in the right mix could be a whole lot of fun.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Oh please oh please oh please!

I've secretly hoped they would get to Spelljammer someday, but never expected it would be soon.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
From what I've seen of the Spelljammer imagery it would need a massive overhaul to "fly" in todays world. I'm going to be really surprised if this is on the release schedule. Though Mearls did say that expansions should have their own unique feel and Spelljammer certainly has that....

Schmoe

Adventurer
I have my 2e Spelljammer boxed set on my shelf in excellent condition. It survived my purge of 1e and 2e stuff back in the day because I loved the rules for ship combat, the visuals and themes of space exploration in D&D, and the boxed set has a bunch of really great resources to run a space-faring campaign, like ship deck plans. Including some 5e material would be great for someone like me who might want to go back and make use of my old Spelljammer setting material. But I worry about how accessible it will be to newer players who don't have the old boxed set. Given WotC's approach to settings, I can see that Mordenkainen's ToF might spark some inspiration, but I expect it will be a far cry from the support needed to actually do anything substantial with it.

So thinking about Spelljammer, which I've never actually played but read back in the day, my main concern is getting an entire party onboard (that's a pun!) with the system. I've run a few parties in games that had ship management as part of the play - last one was Rogue Trader.

What I've found is that you're lucky to have one person who's really invested in the mechanics of the ship maneuvering/maintenance/improvement/combat system and everyone else is just along for the ride. It's bad enough to get players to grok their own PCs at times. But when you add a layer of ship management/combat on top of that you're herding cats twice as much.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
One possible argument in favor of Spelljammer 5E is that it would be pretty easy to port the ship-related rules over to Star Wars. Interest in SW is pretty high thanks to the new movies, and WOTC must be kicking themselves for letting go of the license.

Last edited by a moderator:

From what I've seen of the Spelljammer imagery it would need a massive overhaul to "fly" in todays world. I'm going to be really surprised if this is on the release schedule. Though Mearls did say that expansions should have their own unique feel and Spelljammer certainly has that....
I'm not big on the idea that the standard solar system is assumed to incased in a massive crystalline shell that's sort of at the radius of an Oort Cloud, and that all stars seen from planets are just holes of light in the shell. Though I know it's based on an idea that existed in Ancient Greece, I'd be more comfortable if most solar systems didn't have shells and that getting into something like the Phlogistan was achieved by going through large asteroid sized gates which allow FTL travel. I'm okay with gravity on objects maintaining air bubbles though.

As far as upcoming releases go I don't think it necessarily means Spelljammers coming out as a campaign setting.

delericho

Legend
It would be a really bold move, but it could possibly work to actually lean into that dated feel and crank up the 80's/90's over-the-top vibe. Flash Gordon with a Queen soundtrack, type of thing.

Yep. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but there was something about "Thor: Ragnarok" that felt Spelljammer-ish. In a good way.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Yep. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but there was something about "Thor: Ragnarok" that felt Spelljammer-ish. In a good way.

And lord knows WotC hasn't been against leaning on the popularity of the Thor movies in the past <coughtempestandtrickerydomainscough>

Remove ads

Remove ads