D&D 5E Points of Light setting and current cross-over strategy: Round peg in the square hole.

dave2008

Legend
Kind of obvious, since the dude who created the world and the people who run it (namely, Chris Perkins and Matt Sernett) are in complete agreement: since canon is just made up, they can change ot if they felt like it. Luckily for canon sticklers such as [MENTION=6776548]Corpsetaker[/MENTION] they see fit to fit with existing canon.

I am not sure what you mean by the bolded part (and I can't believe I continue let myself be dragged back into this argument). From my view [MENTION=6776548]Corpsetaker[/MENTION] is not fit with existing canon because he/she is disregarding the parts of canon he/she doesn't like. Which, is fine - except that he/she probably shouldn't tell everyone else they are doing wrong.

dave2008

Legend
Not really Dave.

Yes they are. Maybe not from or for you, but for themselves and other observers they are, IMO of course (and clearly theirs too).

EDIT: Though I do find if really fascinating that you either don't see that or refuse to believe it. Assuming instead that they misunderstand. It is similar to how you approach this whole debate really.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
So ... a lot of "canon-fodder" in this Thread, but it seems that the battlefield is starting to quiet down.

I expect a murder of crows is about due now. ;)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Yes they are. Maybe not from or for you, but for themselves and other observers they are, IMO of course (and clearly theirs too).

EDIT: Though I do find if really fascinating that you either don't see that or refuse to believe it. Assuming instead that they misunderstand. It is similar to how you approach this whole debate really.
But it says "laughed with"! It can't possibly mean the meaning it had for years before it got changed a few months ago!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am not sure what you mean by the bolded part (and I can't believe I continue let myself be dragged back into this argument). From my view [MENTION=6776548]Corpsetaker[/MENTION] is not fit with existing canon because he/she is disregarding the parts of canon he/she doesn't like. Which, is fine - except that he/she probably shouldn't tell everyone else they are doing wrong.

Well, I was being a little tongue in cheek: for those concerned with actual canon, obviously the case is clear. Those who have elevated a "more consistent" fanon of their own making: results may vary.

Last edited:

Corpsetaker

First Post

That's great Dave.

knasser

First Post
I never picked up 4e. I have heard good things about the setting and have never had trouble stealing good ideas and reskinning.

Where is a good place to get decent detail of the setting? Online and/or book?

Going to be hard to pick one single source. PoL wasn't so much a setting as a feel and a box of goodies. Tricky to describe but wonderful to play. There wasn't a campaign map for example, showing the shape of the land or who ruled where. Yet at the same time you had wonderfully evocative descriptions of the Feywild (the bright, overgrown, danger-filled and thrilling echo of the world itself peopled by fantastic beasts and arch fey and dryads and... ) or the Shadowfell at the opposite end (a quasi-ravenloft like realm but so much more - where the raven queen of the dead held her court and spectres came with the coming storm). Even the planes were artfully constructed - both the same as they ever were but freshly painted. Asmodeous stealing the heart of evil from the depths of the Abyss. Demons waging war on Devils subconsciously and for all eternity to get it back. Primordials exiled in the dawn war but still rumours of one or two imprisoned but alive (and statted up for Epic campaigns in Dragon magazine).

Maybe one of the reasons I love it so much is that it doesn't chain everything down in one neat map and history, but essentially acted as a treasure trove of little details, myths and creatures you uncovered in a variety of places. I could equally recommend the Manual of the Planes or Open Grave or the Feywild book and no answer would be wrong, just all covering different areas. Like the setting itself, the background was essentially points of light uncovered here and there with no obvious path from one to the other. I'd just grab whatever you can focusing on the setting books more than anything else. Dragon magazines of that period would be invaluable.

Remove ads