D&D General Which Gods/Pantheons do you use in your D&D setting?

Atomoctba

Adventurer
Main religion (at least in the slice of the world the PCs are in) believes in one absent god that created Reality (prime material and other planes) and then went away. In his absence, celestials argued about what to do. Centuries ago, eight of them came to the world, born as mortals, to teach the creed to people. These are the eight saints the religion venerates. Some celestials were bitter about the creator god absence and felt to become the anticelestials (demons).

Every piece of that is what the Holy Church teaches to you. There is no direct proof of any of those facts, but a believer would not question them. It is known.

Mallus

Legend
We like to use homebrew settings & homebrew pantheons. This is our current crop of gods ageless non-deific beings who built the world, which is more of a giant construct floating in the Void.

The Seven Immortals - they made the Arc for the salvation of all peoples.

Boaz the Builder (he/him/his) - The designer of the Arc. First among the Seven. Domains: Arcana, Order

Shar, Who Keeps Secrets (she/her/hers) - Guardian of forbidden knowledge. Architect of the Purges. Domains: Trickery, War

Min Meng, Lady of Peace and Storms (she/her/hers) - Caller of storms, calmer of hordes. She does what is required. Domains: Peace, Tempest

Immortal Storyteller (he/him/his) - He tells their story and ours. Domain: Knowledge

Titanian, Who Serves (it/it/its) The shape of a man made of a million reflective metal scales. Domain: Forge

Oberond the Dawn-King (we/us/our) - the first King of the Arc. Lord of the Boreal Throne. Appears as an elf or gnome. Domains: Nature, Life

Fire Ghost (they/them/theirs) - the alchemical union of opposites. Either a woman haloed in burning light or a floating man of shadows. Domains: Light, Twilight

My last D&D game (set in the Primeval Thule campaign setting) had nine gods (known as The Nine Powers) each of which champions one of Shalom H. Schwartz's universal values.

Mithra, God of the Sun, Lord of the Sky, King of the Gods (Security)
Kishar, Goddess of Grain, Mother of Rivers, Queen of the Gods (Conformity/Tradition)
Tarhun, God of Storms, Lord of Battle (Benevolence)
Asura, Goddess of Dawn, Messenger of the Gods, Flame of Atlantis (Universalism)
Ishtar, Goddess of Love, Luck and War (Self-Direction)
Tiamat, Mother of Dragons, Goddess of the Sea, Queen of Chaos(Stimulation)
Nergal, God of the Underworld, Lord of War, King of the Dead (Achievement/Power)
Set, God of Night, the Great Serpent (Achievement/Power)
Herum, Lord of Beasts, The Ape God (Hedonism)

Of these, none of them are particularly evil, but Set is the one most likely to be invoved in shady plots and dodgy behaviour. Set is essentially the god of sociopaths.

Chalice

Explorer
Either the deities that come with a published setting, or my own, for homebrew settings. Currently running some Realms (in the pre-4e mode), so Realms deities it is.

Bupp

Adventurer
I let my players choose their gods, and I use their choices as the "Pantheon".

They can choose anything they want from any tradition, or make up their own. It doesn't matter to me, as long as it's meaningful to them.
I do this, as well as add a few of my own. I do separate them into two main pantheons. The Orbital Gods are sentient AIs that orbit the world, and the Old Gods. Much like American Gods by Neil Gaiman. With the two pantheons being antagonistic against each other, and rivalries within.

J-H

Hero
I use Forgotten Realms/Faerun because they are what I'm most familiar with from Baldur's Gate II and various fictions.

The Greyhawk Pantheon just seems kind of goofy. Heirononymous vs HEXTOR the edgelord, Boccob who doesn't care, etc. I have borrowed Pelor at least once, though.

Remove ads