Revamping the Warlock

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
The game doesn't work if you aren't taking short rests.

Fix that.

1) My experience included other players using classes that primarily rely on short rests. Even compared to them, I felt mostly useless.

2) In redesigning the warlock, it is not to increase its power, but rather to give it an identity that better differentiates it from spellcasters like the wizard and sorcerer. I personally don't feel like the warlock should be treated like a spellcaster.

3) If you disagree, that's fine. But if you don't think the warlock would benefit from some tweaking or redesign, why would you want to participate in this discussion?

Last edited:

ad_hoc

(they/them)
3) If you disagree, that's fine. But if you don't think the warlock would benefit from some tweaking or redesign, why would you want to participate in this discussion?

Just trying to help.

Instead of creating an entire new class (and probably new game while you're at it) it is better to just fix the root of the problem.

but the Warlock is not really meant to be played like a caster.

You're just wrong.

They are a very powerful caster. Only rivaled by the Sorcerer.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Just trying to help.

Instead of creating an entire new class (and probably new game while you're at it) it is better to just fix the root of the problem.

Part of the fun I get from this game is tweaking it and redesigning it. Yea, the adjustments I've made to my game probably makes it fairly different from what you play. And in fact, I think redesigning this class whole hog to better reflect my vision for the warlock would be fun. I also think others might value what I produce and might like to participate in the process.

So what you see as the root of the problem is clearly different from what I see. That's fine. But please don't assume that your vision of the problem is the way to understand or approach it.

You're just wrong.

They are a very powerful caster. Only rivaled by the Sorcerer.

No, I'm not wrong. I just see the warlock differently. I didn't play 4e, but I played a lot of 3.x. And so I am used to the Warlock not having spells to cast. I don't think it should be a spellcaster, and until you get to those high tiers of play when you have access to 4 spell slots per rest and Mystic Arcanum, the 5e Warlock does not feel like or work like other spellcasters. I shouldn't have to wait to get to those higher tiers of play for a spellcasting class to actually feel like a spellcasting class. Additionally, it has already been mentioned how short-rest recovery spells create complications in the game by allowing combinations such as the Paladin/Warlock and Sorcerer/Warlock multiclasses. By eliminating Pact Magic, I feel it brings the Warlock closer to its 3.5 roots, gives it a stronger identity that is more distinct from other spellcasting classes, helps it feel in play more like one would expect, and reduces those problematic and potentially abusive combinations.

Last edited:

I think, rather than saying that warlock doesn't play like a spellcaster, one might say that it might not play as much like a spellcaster as one wants unless they build it that way.

If you go Pact of the Tome, take their ritual caster invocation, and take invocations that give you free spells, you end up with an excellent caster. The only limitation you might end up with is that the warlock spell list is rather limited. You'll want to pick a patron that gives you some spells that fit your style. But as far as raw spells and spell levels castable per day (assuming 2 short rests), they do extremely well.

But don't just take my word for it. I made a table a couple months ago because I was curious. It's not pretty, but it has the data for a warlock built as a caster versus a wizard.

Warlock to Wizard Comparison.PNG

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
For my part, the main "big" fix I ever used for a warlock is proficiency in martial weapons. We also reskin Eldritch blast to more closely match the warlock's actual patron; a warlock of Shub-Niggurath, for example, caused branches and vines to explode out of their target instead of zapping them with a laser beam. Same mechanics, same damage, radically different feel.

I banned all other full casters in my campaign at one point, so we toyed and tinkered with the warlock a lot.

Another thing that worked: in the Primeval Thule Player's Companion, they replace the 14th level warlock ability with powers specific to the patron. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but for example the warlock of Shub-Niggurath gained a kind of perverse wild shape at 14th level instead of the standard ability. Like reskinning the eldritch blast, this change - one at a level most characters will never reach - had a massive impact on the feel and identity of the class.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
So, assuming that Pact Magic and Mystic Arcanum are removed, what's the next step? I see a few different issues that need to be addressed.

1) Eldritch Blast. Maintain it as a cantrip, or move it to be a class feature? Does the warlock still need cantrips? If it becomes a class feature, does it need more invocation support? (I can see a place for a lot of the 3.5 era shape and essence invocations.)
2) Patrons. Without Pact Magic, the patron spell list extensions become dead weight. Is there a class feature or some invocations that can leverage them?
3) Hex. Drop it, make it an invocation, or another class feature?
4) Invocations. How many more invocations are needed to make up the loss of the potency of Pact Magic? What other kinds of invocations need to be added? More potent at-will spells (more 1st level, maybe even some 2nd and 3rd level spells) seems like a good design angle, and some more invocations that grant spells 1/LR.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
[MENTION=6677017]Sword of Spirit[/MENTION] - That certainly looks like a detailed graph. I will take a look a bit later. But I agree that the Warlock could play more like a spellcaster with the right build. But if the Warlock is supposed to be a true spellcaster in the vein of the sorcerer or warlock, you shouldn't need to build it to make it feel or function like that. Which once again, at least to me, supports the idea that a Warlock shouldn't be a spellcaster. The mechanics don't really support a strong enough identity for players to know how to build a functional warlock build without a good deal of system mastery. To me, that seems like a problem, since a player using a sorcerer or a wizard does not need advanced system mastery to play those classes as they are intended to play by the designers. So, the choice seems to either lean into the spellcasting aspect, or disregard it. I am more in favor of the later.

[MENTION=6798775]Ath-kethin[/MENTION] - That is awesome! I am a huge proponent for reskinning class abilities to make them seem more thematic. Not terribly familiar with Thule, so it might be worth checking out to prune for ideas and inspiration.

1) Eldritch Blast. Maintain it as a cantrip, or move it to be a class feature? Does the warlock still need cantrips? If it becomes a class feature, does it need more invocation support? (I can see a place for a lot of the 3.5 era shape and essence invocations.)

I believe Eldritch Blast should transition from a cantrip to a class feature granted at level 1. I think it should automatically start with gaining Charisma mod to add to damage. And I think that Extra Beams should be a class feature akin to the Fighter. This way, one could theoretically stop it at level 11 with 3 blasts, similar to the fighter, or allow all 4. This would limit abuse of Eldritch Blast since it would no longer advance with character level, but warlock class level. However, I personally would give a 4th attack at level 17, but this is primarily because I also have re-designed the fighter to get a 4th attack at level 17 and created a new capstone based on their chosen Fighting Style. YMMV.

I have also considered the invocations that can shape the Eldritch Blast. I like the idea, but the execution needs to be done carefully or it can quickly become broken.

I also think cantrips need to remain. They add some versatility to the Warlock, and continue the trend of access to at-will spells. I am unsure if cantrip options available should be based on the Patron choice with themed cantrip options, or just based around the Wizard / Sorcerer cantrip list. This helps keep Pact of the Tome useful

2) Patrons. Without Pact Magic, the patron spell list extensions become dead weight. Is there a class feature or some invocations that can leverage them?

Yes! I see this as an opportunity for Patron specific invocations. They were unpopular in the Unearthed Arcana prior to XGtE, so the Patron pre-requisite was scrapped. But I think this is because the Patrons do not have a solid enough identity to support general invocations that would be limited to them. It is too easy to imagine invocations as belonging to any of the patrons. However, this changes if we increase the number of Spell-Per-Rest invocations, since spells are much easier to thematically link to a Patron. So we transition some of the Bonus Spells into invocations that allow it to be used per short rest or long rest (depending on the spell). This gives the Patrons more thematic identity, provides Warlocks with continued support if they do want to cast spells, but doesn't force it upon them since the Patron choice only gives access to these invocations, rather than automatically adding them.

3) Hex. Drop it, make it an invocation, or another class feature?

Yes. I have written Hex as a class ability as follows:

Hex
At 2nd level, you learn to curse your opponents, making your attacks deadlier and hampering their abilities. As a bonus action, you can Hex one opponent with 90 feet. You deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target whenever you hit it with an attack. Also, choose one ability when use Hex. The target has disadvantage on ability checks made with the chosen ability. This ability lasts for 1 minute.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before the Hex ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to curse a new creature.

Once you have used your Hex, you must finish a short or long rest to use it again.

4) Invocations. How many more invocations are needed to make up the loss of the potency of Pact Magic? What other kinds of invocations need to be added? More potent at-will spells (more 1st level, maybe even some 2nd and 3rd level spells) seems like a good design angle, and some more invocations that grant spells 1/LR.

So I have a large number of homebrew invocations that would help expand upon them, including more Pact Specific ones. I think some Warlock exclusive spells would also need to be revamped into invocations (Hellish Rebuke, Armor of Agathys, Arms of Hadar, Hunger of Hadar). As for the number, I'm thinking 15 invocations by level 20. You normally get 8, then add another 4 for your Pact Magic spell slots, then another 3 for Mystic Arcanum. Technically you should have 4 from Mystic Arcanum, but since most invocations are at-will abilities, it probably evens out.

And in order to replicate Mystic Arcanum, we could have some level gated 1/long rest spells available, as well as some of the more powerful at-will abilities. This better supports those that want the Warlock to function like a caster, but also allows the warlock to just be an at-will abilities guy, or somewhere in-between. Additionally, since invocations give per-rest spells rather than spell slots, there is no ability to abuse them with multiclassing Sorcerer or Paladin.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Here are some of the new invocations I've developed. Some are new, others are ones I've previously developed and been using. I'm still working to redesign some of my other homebrew invocations since we are removing Pact Magic, and will be working on Invocations to replace Mystic Arcanum.

Armor of Agathys
As an action, you gain temporary hit points equal to your warlock level. These temporary hit points last for 1 hour. If a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have them, it takes cold damage equal to your warlock level.

Arms of Hadar
Tendrils batter all enemy creatures within 10 feet of you. They must make a Strength save. On a fail, a target takes 2d6 necrotic damage and can't take reactions until its next turn. On a success, it takes half damage and suffers no other effects.

Once you have used this invocation, you must complete a short or long rest before using it again.

This invocations’s damage increases by when you reach higher warlock levels. The damage increase at 3rd level (3d6), 5th level (4d6), 7th level (5d6), 9th level (6d6), 11th level (7d6), 13th level (8d6), 15th level (9d6), 17th level (10d6), and 19th level (11d6).

Battle Minion
Prerequisite: 9th level, Pact of the Chain feature
Your familiar has become more aggressive than other familiars. Your familiar may now take the Attack action on its turn. In addition, when it makes a melee attack, it adds your proficiency bonus to its attack roll and damage roll.

Blink Step
Prerequisite: 12th level
You have learned to walk between the planes, traversing the ether between to effortlessly appear where you are least expected. When you take this invocation, you can use the spell misty step at will.

Book of Ancient Whispers
Prerequisite: 12th level, Pact of the Tome feature
When you need guidance from your patron, you can whisper your questions into your Book of Shadows. Your patron will answer through these pages as magical writing appears in a strange language only decipherable to you. Once you have read this correspondence, the writing vanishes, leaving only unfilled pages. When you take this invocation, you can cast Commune without using a spell slot.

Once you have communed with your patron, you cannot use this ability again until you have finished a long rest.

Chain Master’s Command
Prerequisite: 5th level, Pact of the Chain feature
As an action, you can command your familiar to sacrifice itself in a blaze of destruction. It explodes and each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a Dexterity saving throw. A target takes damage equal to 5 + your warlock level + your charisma modifier on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The damage type can be either radiant or necrotic, and is chosen when you gain this invocation.

If you familiar is killed, you can use your reaction to activate this ability immediately upon its death.

Once this invocation is used, you must wait until you have finished a long rest to summon a new familiar.

Devour Anathema
Prerequisite: 5th level
As an action, you touch one object or creature. All curses affecting that creature or object end. If the object is a cursed magic item, its curse remains, but the spell breaks its owner’s attunement to the object so it can be removed or discarded. Alternatively, this invocation can one disease or the poisoned condition.

Through this invocation, you devour the magic of the curse or the essence of the malady to empower yourself. You gain temporary hit points equal to your caster level, and your next ability check is made with advantage.

Once you have used this invocation, you must finish a short or long rest before you can do so again.

Eldritch Rebuke
You have been given the power to make your enemies pay for injuring you. When you choose this invocation, choose from one of the following energy types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, or poison. Whenever you take damage from a creature you can see within 60 feet, you can use your reaction to deal damage of your chosen energy type to that creature. The damage dealt is equal to half your warlock level (rounded up).

After you finish a long rest, you may change the type of damage from the list of options above.

Evil Eye
When you target a creature with your Hex spell, they now must make a Charisma saving throw. If they fail, the target of your Hex spell also has disadvantage on saving throws with the ability score you selected. If the target succeeds on their saving throw, the Hex functions as normal.

A creature that saves against this ability is immune to your Evil Eye for 24 hours.

Fist of the Infernal Dreadnought
Prerequisite: 9th level
As a bonus action, you transform your body in a hulking brute, able to destroy structures with your fists. For one minute, your size doubles in all dimensions, and your weight is multiplied by eight. This growth increases your size by one category—from Medium to Large, for example. If there isn’t enough room for the target to double its size, you attain the maximum possible size in the space available.

Until the effect ends, you also have advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws. During this time your melee attacks also become more powerful, allowing you to double the damage dice of your normal melee weapon damage. Your melee attacks also deal double damage to objects and structures.

Once you have used this invocation, you must complete a long rest before you can use it again.

Hunger of Hadar
As an action, choose a spot within 150 feet. Centered on that spot a 20-foot-radius void appears. It's filled with whispers and slurping that can be heard up to 30 feet away. No light can illuminate the area, and creatures fully in it are blinded. The void's area is difficult terrain. Any creature that starts its turn in the area takes 2d6 cold damage. Any creature that ends its turn there must pass a Dexterity save or take 2d6 acid damage.

This invocation lasts for 1 minute and requires concentration to maintain.

Once you have used this invocation, you must complete a short or long rest before you can do so again.

Lloth's Kiss
The mark of a black widow appears on your forehead, and you gain the mobility of a spider. You can cast the spider climb spell on yourself at will without requiring material components. In addition, you are immune to the effects of the web spell.

Mystic Cypher
You can read and understand all written and spoken languages. You also gain the ability to understand any effects from mystical runes or glyphs. This invocation does not give you the ability to speak or write in language you don’t know, and does not give you any special ability to disable or dispel mystical runes and glyphs.

Wings of Icarus
Prerequisite: 9th level
You gain the ability to sprout a pair of magical wings from your back. These wings will appear differently depending on your chosen patron. While manifested, your wings grant you a flying speed equal to your current speed. You can create these wings as a bonus action on your turn. They last until you dismiss them as a bonus action on your turn.

You cannot fly if you are wearing heavy armor or are heavily encumbered.

These wings are magical in nature and so they will adjust to what you are wearing and do not require special armor or clothing to use these wings effectively.

For me the warlock would have been the ideal arcane-martial (INT) half-caster. Spell progression up to level 5, per long rest. I would change eldritch blast to require a weapon attack, keep invocations and throw pacts away or make them invocations. Those are more than enough mechanics, although special curses other than hex would be nice and could be added via the spell list. Subclasses would still be the different patrons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases