If an NPC is telling the truth, what's the Insight DC to know they're telling the truth?

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
The vibe I'm getting from the "goal and approach" posts is very much one of classic, Gygaxian "skilled play" - a high degree of engagement with the fiction, where the fiction is understood primarily in terms of "engineering" or "mechanical" details (mechanical in the physics sense) - to do with locations of things, placement of things, numbers of things, amount of sweat on a NPC relative to room temperature, etc.
I'd strongly disagree with this. It's just making sure that the character is concretely doing something and having the player tell me what that is
OK, but then "I listen at the door" is pretty concrete. "I ride my horse across the plain, hastening to Hardby" is pretty concrete. But at least some posters are suggesting that those sorts of action declarations lack sufficient precision.

I'm not wanting to put everyone in the same box - I already think I posted upthread that I get a different impression from your posts than (say) [MENTION=80916]elf[/MENTION]rcrusher's - but the overall vibe I am getting is one of emphasis on engineering details rather than (say) emotional or thematic details. To the extent that your game contradicts that vibe, OK, I believe you.

Gygaxian skilled play is about players beating the puzzle. I run much more of a narrative game, where player declarations will change the fiction in their favor on a success or against them on a failure. However, some declarations are so obviously fitting that they succeed.

<snip>

Engaging the established fiction is the key, which Gygaxian skilled play was more about predicting the GM's secret notes by experience of how the GM prepares traps.
I think this may be an overly narrow account of "skilled play". There's a well-known anecdote of Gygax ruling that the sceptre-to-crown trick can destroy the demilich in ToH: that's not about "pixel bitching" or gussing the GM's notes, but it is about engaging the fiction.

I imagine there was a fair bit of similar imaginative play in the "trapped gods" room and the "face of Fraz-Urb'luu" (sp?) room.

I think you're right that Gygaxian play doesn't involve a lot of creation of new elements in the fiction (like eg cursed sacrophaguses) as part of the narrration of failure, but the only poster in this thread who seems to use that technique beside you is me (maybe I've missed others? in that case, sorry). That's a technique that I've spent about a decade on these boards articulating in the face of dismissals of "Schroedinger's dungeon", being "unrealistic", wrecking immersion, etc, etc. I'm pretty familiar with it, and what's to be said for or against it. As far as I can tell there's nothing in 5e that makes the technique more apt than in 3E. (And if that's what we're meaning by "goal and approach" then let's use Luke Crane's "intent and task" (coined c 15 years ago) and be upfront about it! )

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
OK, but then "I listen at the door" is pretty concrete. "I ride my horse across the plain, hastening to Hardby" is pretty concrete. But at least some posters are suggesting that those sorts of action declarations lack sufficient precision.

I'm not wanting to put everyone in the same box - I already think I posted upthread that I get a different impression from your posts than (say) [MENTION=80916]elf[/MENTION]rcrusher's - but the overall vibe I am getting is one of emphasis on engineering details rather than (say) emotional or thematic details. To the extent that your game contradicts that vibe, OK, I believe you.
I listen at the door is at the minimum threshold, i think. And, yes, I'd say there's a lot more engineering in [MENTION=6801328]Elfcrusher[/MENTION]'s game than mine, His example of how much thinking goes into his games is a very far cry from the "oh, crap, I supposed to run in 15 minutes" I usually do. I just finished a dungeon tonight that's run the last two sessions, which was reasonably prepped. The "final" room, though, didn't go at all how I anticipated, which was awesome. I mean, I figured it would be a social encounter with a powerful prisoner of the area, negotiating information for freedom, and it was kinda that, but the dwarven barbarian kicked things off by making an offering of alcoholic beverages, and so it went in a very different way that what I anticipated. Drunk djinns are much more genial and forthcoming than I expected (some great rolls!). As it was, the planned hard choices ended up being friendly with a powerful elemental AND getting good info on what they came for.
I think this may be an overly narrow account of "skilled play". There's a well-known anecdote of Gygax ruling that the sceptre-to-crown trick can destroy the demilich in ToH: that's not about "pixel bitching" or gussing the GM's notes, but it is about engaging the fiction.

I imagine there was a fair bit of similar imaginative play in the "trapped gods" room and the "face of Fraz-Urb'luu" (sp?) room.

I think you're right that Gygaxian play doesn't involve a lot of creation of new elements in the fiction (like eg cursed sacrophaguses) as part of the narrration of failure, but the only poster in this thread who seems to use that technique beside you is me (maybe I've missed others? in that case, sorry). That's a technique that I've spent about a decade on these boards articulating in the face of dismissals of "Schroedinger's dungeon", being "unrealistic", wrecking immersion, etc, etc. I'm pretty familiar with it, and what's to be said for or against it. As far as I can tell there's nothing in 5e that makes the technique more apt than in 3E. (And if that's what we're meaning by "goal and approach" then let's use Luke Crane's "intent and task" (coined c 15 years ago) and be upfront about it! )
I think you're edging into an assumption of what Gygax actually did at his table, which is a hard thing to conclusively say, IMO. I go off of the published adventures of the time as the means for judging what Gygaxian skilled play means, and how they often spelled out solutions that weren't obvious from the fiction at all, but would be things that a skilled and experienced player would do as they have run across similar kinds of things in previous modules.

Anytime you're in the place where having multiple 10' poles and you're poking everything while the GM pays attention to what you might have not poked, you're past the threshold for pixel-bitching.

Chaosmancer

Legend
My megadungeon has numerous paths to most areas, and so there'd generally be another way around the trapped door. And there's also goblins that go around resetting their traps or laying new ones. But yeah, if the area beyond the trapped door wasn't accessible, then it would be silly of me to telegraph the followup trapped door with bloodstains . . . although the bloodstain could be from a treasure hunter who teleported past the first trap.

Anyway, there are plenty of ways to telegraph a trap without using signs of a previous victim. I've got a trapped portcullis where the players will see barrels of poison gas on the other side, for example. And then some tombs clearly warn they are trapped because I figured they figure it's better to turn away cowards so the trap will remain untriggered.

I find it a fun creative exercise.

Yeah, I considered the multiple paths thing. Just, most of the "foreshadowing" people talk about is done by showing signs of the trap being triggered before. Always makes me wonder how they square that with places where the trap wouldn't have been triggered yet.

Also, because I enjoy puzzle solving, I'm curious how that trap with the portcullis and the barrels works. I'm assuming that the portcullis being triggered breaks the barrels and unleashes the poison (though how they can tell poison gas from a distance...) but isn't that a really easy trap to get past? Hit the barrels from a distance and wait for the poison to dissipate or settle. Heck, might even be able to use it against the trap designer by pushing the poison further past the portcullis.

It seems too simple, so am I missing something or is that one supposed to be an easy one?

Sorry, I copy and paste quote tags a lot, and sometimes things get mixed up. My bad there.

Like I said, no problem. I was just wondering if it was some kind of ENworld system glitch.

Or if I was secretly Oofta and didn't know it :confused: :p

Yes, because the thing you’re doing is defined by the rules as an ability check. You’re just skipping the roll for expediency’s sake.

Did the approach of flagging down the waitress have a reasonable chance of succeeding in the goal of getting her to come to your table, a reasonable chance of failing to do so, and a cost for attempting or consequence for failing? If so, then why are you skipping the dice roll? If not, then an ability check is not the proper method of adjudicating the action, and there’s no reason for that DC5 to just be out there, existing in isolation of an action that requires a check to resolve.

Reliable Talent is only applicable to ability checks, ergo if Reliable Talent is coming into play, there must be a reasonable chance of the approach succeeding in achieving the goal, a reasonable chance of the approach failing to achieve the goal, and a cost for attempting or consequence for failing. If you choose to skip the actual dice rolling part because the effect of Reliable Talent makes it impossible to get a roll result lower than the DC, that’s fine, but it doesn’t make the process of comparing your lowest possible result to a DC not a check.

I'm not seeing how this is all consistent.

In both cases there was no reasonable chance of failure but one is an ability check, because being an ability check is how there is no reasonable chance at failure.

You cannot fail if your lowest possible roll beats the DC, therefore there is no reasonable chance of failure, therefore you do not roll. But it is an ability check. It has to be, otherwise there is a reasonable chance of failure and a roll must be made.

And why does it matter if I make up phantom DCs? If I know the bard has been eager to use their disguise kit, so I figure disguising themselves to get into the castle is a reasonable course of action they may choose to take in next weeks game, why can I not decide what the DC is likely to be ahead of time? I have created an obstacle, assigned a DC to a possible action the player's might take, but that doesn't mean anything about how the actual event will unfold. Maybe they will act like I suspect and I'll be prepared, maybe they'll pull out the Award for Valor they got from a prominent Knight I totally forgot they had in their inventory and be allowed to walk right in. DCs can exist seperate from the actions of the players, in a space of potential plans and actions.

Heck, we already have a second example from the book. It is a DC 20 strength check, a barbarian has an ability that says their lowest result for a strength check is their strength score. With a 20 strength, they cannot fail, and even if they did fail the consequences of failing to break manacles are generally status quo, but the ability only works if they make a strength check.

Not every check corresponds to a d20 roll.

Right, and my point was that your reason for calling for a roll despite the results not actually mattering (namely that your players like to roll dice) is a result of the fact that calling for rolls that have no consequence for failure changes the incentives in your game. In your game, checks are how things get done. You break down doors by succeeding on Strength (athletics) checks, and failing Strength (athletics) checks doesn’t really mean anything, except that you didn’t manage to break down the door, or didn’t manage to break it down right away. Naturally players want to roll in a game where that is the procedure. In my games, you don’t break down doors by succeeding on checks, you open doors by breaking them down, and if something bad could happen as a result of you trying to break the door down, then a check is how we decide if that bad thing happens or not. Naturally, players in my games want to avoid making checks. I like that incentive my style creates. I want plauers thinking about what their characters can do to insure the best possibility of success, not what check they have the highest bonus to.

I don't want to comment on your experience, but at that sort of table I would be terrified to try something my character is bad at.

If my warlock got tossed in a cell, with his +0 strength and no proficiency in athletics, I'd never try and break the door to get out. Maybe by magical means, but I'd want to know what bonus I got before trying to roll. Because, if I fail to break down the door, my situation gets worse. Even if I try and break off a bed leg to get a bar to leverage advantage, the DC is likely at least a 15 and with a +0 I need to roll 15 or better. The odds are really bad. And failure hurts my chances of getting out even more. I'd be much better served pretending to be sick and angling for a performance or deception check, which gets me a +4 or +7 to the roll.

However, at a game where failure does not automatically mean things get worse, I might try athletics. It is certainly a faster solution, and maybe I see speed as of the essence. IF I fail, well they'll know I tried to escape but it doesn't necessarily mean things get worse.

All I see from a style of play where failure is punished more harshly every time, is a style of play that disincentives risk. The low charisma characters won't try to talk their way out, because they have a bad chance at that if it comes to a roll. And if you say "I hear you want to persuade the guard to let you go by talking about your achievements for the city, but he's not convinced your deeds outweigh the damages you've done. It'll be a DC 15 charisma persuasion check, and if you fail you might get slapped with a huge fine instead of simply tossed in jail" Then as a player who sees -1 charisma on his sheet, I'm going to try and backpedal. I've got only a 25% chance of making that roll. 75% chance of making things worse, no way, I'll let the bard take over. No reason for me to risk making that roll.

Alternatively, I've had quite a few times in my games where a player will pipe up trying to convince an NPC of something, or trying to look for a clue, despite having no mechanical skill. Because they don't fear failure. That doesn't mean there are no consequences ever, sometimes failure hurts, but the consequences are in line with what they attempted, and they are not guaranteed to make things worse by trying.

I could be wrong, but you seem here to suggest that "an ability check" is an abstractly existing thing, or a latent element of the fiction. Whereas an ability check is clearly an event that occurs at the table in order to decide certain things about the fiction.

So the question is, Is flagging down the waitress as that possibility has arisen here-and-now in the play of the game the sort of moment in the fiction that, at our table and by the rules of our game, requires an ability check to resolve it? DIfferent tables might answer differently. But if one table answers no, then that's that - the fiction unfolds without any check being needed to determine how it unfolds. There's no (abstract, possible) check that's been "skipped over".

But, this creates a problem from my perspective as I discussed above.

If ability checks only exist when a roll happens, and rolls only happen when their is a reasonable chance of failure, then what do abilities that change the result of a roll to eliminate that reasonable chance of failure do?

A high level barbarian does not have a reasonable chance of failure to break standard manacles, but that is only because they have an ability which dictates the result of that ability check. No chance of failure, no roll, no ability check, then the ability which removed the chance of failure does not activate. If the game definitions of "Ability check" are stringent enough that they are only this one thing which involves a D20 roll.... then how is this consistent? And if their are ability checks which do not require a roll... then the statement I said a few hundred posts ago was correct, despite people telling me it was not.

I
I'm not across the shopkeeper example, but just picking up on this: I think what makes the fiction interesting, in adventure-oriented RPGing, is what is at stake. And in the example of being spotted by a goblin scout, it seems that quite a bit might be at stake. So I'm missing why is not interesting.

As I understand the positions of those I'm discussing with, a check needs to have direct consequences on the narrative.

Finding out the shopkeeper is lying was not interesting, supposedly because the adventure was not about whether or not they were lying but what they were lying about.

By that same logic, being spotted by the scout is not interesting. Being spotted does not have a direct consequence, and some of the consequences that could arise are easily canceled out by players.

At, while the stakes for being spotted by an enemy scout are immediately obvious, the stakes for this merchant break-in are not. It could be high stakes involved (and likely is since we are investigating it as part of the adventure) so failing to know that could have just as dire consequences going forward.

That's why I'm confused, a single obstacle is rarely interesting. Whether the goblin scout sees you or not is not interesting, how the players react to the goblin scout darting out of hiding to warn the cave of your approach is interesting. Whether of not the merchant is lying isn't interesting, but the consequences of not realizing he's working with the bad guys can be interesting.

I
One answer would be that the rules force a division between the GM deciding that no check is called for and the GM deciding to call for a check, and setting a DC, which the player of the rogue can't miss. This happens in my 4e game quite a bit, because the Sage of Ages epic destiny somewhat breaks the maths of skill checks, with the result that most knowledge skills are auto-succcesses for the player of that character; but the skill challenge rules still require me to call for checks from that player: which means I have to distinguish between events which are unfolding fiction with no need for a check (eg because nothing is at stake) and events which involve stakes in respect of the unfolding fiction, and hence do call for a check (even if it's an auto-success).

I think this could also work in 5e, although if a GM is using PC capabilities as an element in determining whether or not a check is requred then it could be that sometimes Reliable Talent factors into adjudication at that point, rather than affecting the resolution of a check.

A fair point. Some people would argue that using 4e logic is wrong since 5e's rules are not 4e's rules (for example, they could say 5e never requires an ability check to be called), but I can see that being a fine resolution to the dissonance being created by the people I'm discussing this with.

Okay, so, to be clear, your confusion is because I said that the shopkeeper lying is the conflict?

I say this because it's treated with importance in the examples. A successful check to see if the shopkeep is lying leaves the uncertainty intact -- some hint is provided, but it's been clearly stated that an answer isn't going to be provided. The only way I see this being useful is if the shopkeeper lying is a key part of the mystery (which has also been said) such that a quick answer will disrupt the GM's plans. If it's not that important, I really don't understand why the uncertainty isn't being resolved on a success, much less what might happen on a failure.

In other words, it appears to be the crux of the situation because of the level of protection provided to the truth of the shopkeeper lying. I don't understand why you would do this if it wasn't the important part.

Okay, this makes some sense.

I think this is a confusion of speakers thing. Some people have been claiming they would not give definitive answers to an insight check because IRL you can't tell if someone is lying.

I think that is only a portion of the people discussing the shopkeeper though, which is what is causing the confusion here.

pemerton

Legend
It is a DC 20 strength check, a barbarian has an ability that says their lowest result for a strength check is their strength score. With a 20 strength, they cannot fail, and even if they did fail the consequences of failing to break manacles are generally status quo, but the ability only works if they make a strength check.

Not every check corresponds to a d20 roll.

<snip>

If ability checks only exist when a roll happens, and rolls only happen when their is a reasonable chance of failure, then what do abilities that change the result of a roll to eliminate that reasonable chance of failure do?

A high level barbarian does not have a reasonable chance of failure to break standard manacles, but that is only because they have an ability which dictates the result of that ability check. No chance of failure, no roll, no ability check, then the ability which removed the chance of failure does not activate. If the game definitions of "Ability check" are stringent enough that they are only this one thing which involves a D20 roll.... then how is this consistent? And if their are ability checks which do not require a roll... then the statement I said a few hundred posts ago was correct, despite people telling me it was not.
Well, to repeat what I said upthread, I think the most natural way to handle this is to (i) have the GM call for a check at a given DC on the basis of difficulty, or stakes, or prima facie uncertainty, or whatever else is the trigger for a check in that particular game; then (ii) apply the character ability to resolve that check, which may result in no d20 being rolled because success is guaranteed. (As I said, this is a recurrent feature of my 4e game as far as knowledge checks by the Sage of Ages are concerned.)

If the GM, at stage (i), uses his/her knowledge of the character's ability in deciding that there is no reasonable chance of failure and hence no check required, well, I think the "goal and approach" advocates would see that as an instance of working as intended. I can see some possible problems here - eg there are two PC barbarians, one with STR 18 and one with STR 20, and the GM at stage (i) doesn't distinguish between them and thus does not give the 20 STR PC the benefit of that extra bit of STR. But I think that that is likely to be a marginal issue at most tables.

If my warlock got tossed in a cell, with his +0 strength and no proficiency in athletics, I'd never try and break the door to get out. Maybe by magical means, but I'd want to know what bonus I got before trying to roll. Because, if I fail to break down the door, my situation gets worse.

<snip>

However, at a game where failure does not automatically mean things get worse, I might try athletics.
Speaking from my own perspective, but also trying to make sympathetic sense of [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION]'s, I think there is a bigger issue here which you're missing - or to put it another way, you're missing the dynamic of play wood because of the ability check adjudication trees.

I play a game (be that 4e, Prince Valiant, Burning Wheel, or The Dying Earth) in which there are adverse consequences for failed checks. But that's only a special case of the bigger picture: there are adverse consequences for the PCs unless they act. The situation is framed so as to yield pressure on the PCs (and, thereby, their players) which will drive the game forward.

So while your trapped warlock may choose not to try to bend the bars, because you recognise the prospect is hopeless and you don't like the consequences implicit in the GM's framing of the situation, you can be sure that something is going to happen that will force you to make some sort of choice. And if you don't try to escape now, then you give the GM licence to make that something a bigger deal, if only because the passage of time in the fiction makes it feasible for the GM to evolve the situation forward in an adverse fashion.

This actually came up in the current arc of my Burning Wheel campaign: the PC sorcerer was in prison. One escape attempt went bad, and then he had to deal with various nemeses who came to visit him and strike deals with them in order to be able to get himself out. The choices of which checks to make and not to make affected the details of the unfolding situation, but the player wasn't able to avoid pressure simply by choosing not to engage certain elements of the fiction.

What I've just described is of course not the only way to play RPGs, and my experience (in real life and on message boards) makes me think it's in fact a distinctively minority approach. In a game in which what's at stake is driven primarily by the GM's authorship and modulation of the "plot", then a consequences for failure approach becomes harder to implement. There was discussion of that not too long ago in this thread.

G

Guest 6801328

I listen at the door is at the minimum threshold, i think.

If I'm being sober about it, I think "I listen at the door" is fine, too, if minimal. The problem with that example is that it's probably where the two different styles meet, so it's not really a great illustration of the difference.

And, yes, I'd say there's a lot more engineering in @Elfcrusher's game than mine, His example of how much thinking goes into his games is a very far cry from the "oh, crap, I supposed to run in 15 minutes" I usually do.

For the record, although I'd like for my game to be as "engineered", and to unfold as nicely, as the example I narrated earlier, it's definitely the exception. I find myself winging it much more than I want to, and too often think afterward "Oh, what I should have done was...." I'm not a great improv DM.

I'll add that I'm still licking my wounds over the accusation (e.g. @5ekyu) that it was over-engineered, that I wasn't allowing for the possibility that the story might unfold a different way. On the one hand, I really wanted (needed?) them to eventually/somehow find and open the secret door, and I had a couple of likely pathways mapped out. But yes...of course...if they did something completely unexpected (like siding with the Lady's attackers) I would have adapted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not seeing how this is all consistent.

In both cases there was no reasonable chance of failure but one is an ability check, because being an ability check is how there is no reasonable chance at failure.
Reasonable chance of failure is only one third of the requirements an action must meet to require an ability check. Does flagging down the waitress also have a reasonable chance of failure and a cost or consequence for failing? If it does, then a check is called for. If it doesn’t, it’s just an action that can be resolved without making a check.

You cannot fail if your lowest possible roll beats the DC, therefore there is no reasonable chance of failure, therefore you do not roll. But it is an ability check. It has to be, otherwise there is a reasonable chance of failure and a roll must be made.
Ahh, I see the confusion. “Reasonable chance of failure” does not refer to the chances of the player rolling high enough to beat the DC. Again, DCs are something checks have, and we don’t call for checks unless the action meets the three criteria. “Reasonable chance of success” and “reasonable chance of failure” in this context are not mechanical considerations, they are DM judgment calls based on the fiction. If what the rogue is trying to do logically might work, might not, and has stakes, then a check is the way to resolve it, and if we are resolving it with a check, then the rogue can’t get lower than a 10 so it might not be necessary to actually roll dice to determine whether or not he passes the check. Does that make more sense?

And why does it matter if I make up phantom DCs? If I know the bard has been eager to use their disguise kit, so I figure disguising themselves to get into the castle is a reasonable course of action they may choose to take in next weeks game, why can I not decide what the DC is likely to be ahead of time? I have created an obstacle, assigned a DC to a possible action the player's might take, but that doesn't mean anything about how the actual event will unfold. Maybe they will act like I suspect and I'll be prepared, maybe they'll pull out the Award for Valor they got from a prominent Knight I totally forgot they had in their inventory and be allowed to walk right in. DCs can exist seperate from the actions of the players, in a space of potential plans and actions.
It doesn’t matter, necessarily. That’s how I read manacles, for example - if the player’s approach to breaking out of the manacles is something that logically could work, could fail to work, and has stakes, then the DC for the check you use to resolve it is the one listed in the item’s entry (15 IIRC?). The problem is when you start thinking of breaking the manacles as a DC15 check, instead of as an in-fiction action the character performs, the result of which might or might not depend on the result of a DC15 check.

Heck, we already have a second example from the book. It is a DC 20 strength check, a barbarian has an ability that says their lowest result for a strength check is their strength score. With a 20 strength, they cannot fail, and even if they did fail the consequences of failing to break manacles are generally status quo, but the ability only works if they make a strength check.
Right, so if a check is called for, with all that entails, the Barbarian might not need to roll a die to determine the result of the check. This is distinct from an action that does not even need a check to be resolved, due to not meeting all the criteria for narrative uncertainty.

I don't want to comment on your experience, but at that sort of table I would be terrified to try something my character is bad at.
This is really funny to me, considering the fact that the go-to condemnation of my style is that it supposedly de-values stats. Yet, here you are saying you wouldn’t want to attempt something that you didn’t have high enough stats for. I think we might actually be getting somewhere here.

If my warlock got tossed in a cell, with his +0 strength and no proficiency in athletics, I'd never try and break the door to get out. Maybe by magical means, but I'd want to know what bonus I got before trying to roll. Because, if I fail to break down the door, my situation gets worse. Even if I try and break off a bed leg to get a bar to leverage advantage, the DC is likely at least a 15 and with a +0 I need to roll 15 or better. The odds are really bad. And failure hurts my chances of getting out even more. I'd be much better served pretending to be sick and angling for a performance or deception check, which gets me a +4 or +7 to the roll.
And now you might start to see why, when I do call for a check, I tell the player what the DC and consequence for failure is.

Also, important to note here: I’m not just making up consequences out of nowhere. Consequences are a prerequisite for a check to be called for, not something I assign because a check is called for. If you say you want to break down the door with your bare hands, I go through the process in my head. Does this approach (break the door with my bare hands) have a reasonable chance of succeeding at achieving your goal (get the door open)? No. So I don’t call for a check, I say, “try as you might, the iron bars are too solidly built for you to break with just your hands” If you say you want to break off a leg of the bed and use it for leverage, I go through the same process. Does this action have a reasonable chance of success? Sure. Does it have a reasonable chance of failure? Absolutely. Is there a consequence for failure? Eh, it depends. If there are no a guards nearby that might hear the noise, and no time pressure, then no. In that case, the action doesn’t meet all the requirements to be resolved via check, so I’d just let it succeed. “The leg is a bit challenging to rip off, but after a little pulling, you manage it. It makes a loud noise, but no one seems to be coming to investigate. What do you do?” On the other hand, if there is a guard who might hear you, that seems like a consequence. I might say “ok, you could break the leg off the bed with a DC 10 Strength check, but the noise might attract the guard’s attention if you fail. Stealth might be applicable if you have proficiency with it. What do you do?” Now you have enough information to make an informed decision, whether youvwant to accept the risk or try a different approach. You’re not blindly making checks, the results of which you can’t predict. You’re thinking about your character as an entity existing in a world, making decisions as you imagine that entity might. You succeed and fail based on your decisions and the risks you accept or don’t accept.

Also, like... deciding you’d rather try to fake being sick than snap off a leg of the bed and use it to pry the door open because you’re not very strong or Athletic, but you are decently but persuasive sounds like a well-reasoned decision based on your character’s capabilities. That’s making a decision based on what you imagine your character would do in a fictional situation, and baby, that’s what I call roleplaying!

However, at a game where failure does not automatically mean things get worse, I might try athletics. It is certainly a faster solution, and maybe I see speed as of the essence. IF I fail, well they'll know I tried to escape but it doesn't necessarily mean things get worse.
I mean... If time is of the essence, then failing absolutely makes things worse, because it wastes time. If that’s the case, I might say something like, “it’ll take some time to pull that leg off the bed. It’ll take a DC 10 Strength check to do it, plus Athletics if you’ve got it. But each attempt is going to take 10 minutes. What do you do?” More importantly, that you don’t want to “try Athletics” is the adjudication style working as intended. You should want to try some kind of in-game action that you think has a good shot at resulting in getting you out of this cell. If you are more likely to lean towards solutions that might rely on your magical prowess than your physical abilities in order to mitigate any potential risk, so much the better. Your character’s stats are informing your decisions in a narrative sense rather than a mechanical one. Again, roleplaying.

All I see from a style of play where failure is punished more harshly every time, is a style of play that disincentives risk. The low charisma characters won't try to talk their way out, because they have a bad chance at that if it comes to a roll. And if you say "I hear you want to persuade the guard to let you go by talking about your achievements for the city, but he's not convinced your deeds outweigh the damages you've done. It'll be a DC 15 charisma persuasion check, and if you fail you might get slapped with a huge fine instead of simply tossed in jail" Then as a player who sees -1 charisma on his sheet, I'm going to try and backpedal. I've got only a 25% chance of making that roll. 75% chance of making things worse, no way, I'll let the bard take over. No reason for me to risk making that roll.
That’s fine, that’s your call to make. I inform you of the difficulty and consequences to give you the opportunity to cast Gudance, or Charm Person, or Friends, or spend Inspiration, or enlist help from your fellow party members who might have higher Charisma, or yes, to back out if that’s what you want to do. That makes sense that your character with low Charisma might choose to remain silent in a high-stakes social situation. Also, I think you would find that at my table, more often than not if an action seems like it’d probably work, it just does, especially in low-stakes situations. But any time there is a risk of failure, you know exactly what the risk is, and are always able to back out. In my experience, this very much encourages players to try things, because even in the worst case scenario - the one where you have to make a check - they know what’s at stake, they know their chances of success, and they know they don’t have to go through with it if they don’t feel it’s worth the risk.

Alternatively, I've had quite a few times in my games where a player will pipe up trying to convince an NPC of something, or trying to look for a clue, despite having no mechanical skill. Because they don't fear failure. That doesn't mean there are no consequences ever, sometimes failure hurts, but the consequences are in line with what they attempted, and they are not guaranteed to make things worse by trying.
My players quite often step in with an idea as well. The difference is, when my players do it, it’s with a clever approach they think might have a good chance of achieving their goal, not the name of a skill they want to roll.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend

If my warlock got tossed in a cell, with his +0 strength and no proficiency in athletics, I'd never try and break the door to get out.

<snip>

All I see from a style of play where failure is punished more harshly every time, is a style of play that disincentives risk.
I’m not just making up consequences out of nowhere. Consequences are a prerequisite for a check to be called for, not something I assign because a check is called for. If you say you want to break down the door with your bare hands, I go through the process in my head. Does this approach (break the door with my bare hands) have a reasonable chance of succeeding at achieving your goal (get the door open)? No. So I don’t call for a check, I say, “try as you might, the iron bars are too solidly built for you to break with just your hands” If you say you want to break off a leg of the bed and use it for leverage, I go through the same process. Does this action have a reasonable chance of success? Sure. Does it have a reasonable chance of failure? Absolutely. Is there a consequence for failure? Eh, it depends. If there are no a guards nearby that might hear the noise, and no time pressure, then no. In that case, the action doesn’t meet all the requirements to be resolved via check, so I’d just let it succeed. “The leg is a bit challenging to rip off, but after a little pulling, you manage it. It makes a loud noise, but no one seems to be coming to investigate. What do you do?” On the other hand, if there is a guard who might hear you, that seems like a consequence. I might say “ok, you could break the leg off the table with a DC 10 Strength check, and you could apply Athletics proficiency if you have it. But the noise might attract the guard’s attention if you fail. What do you do?” Now you have enough information to make an informed decision, whether you want to accept the risk or try a different approach. You’re not blindly making checks, the results of which you can’t predict. You’re thinking about your character as an entity existing in a world, making decisions as you imagine that entity might. You succeed and fail based on your decisions and the risks you accept or don’t accept.
Here we can see the outlines of different approaches to RPGing.

I want to draw out one contrast: between (1) consequences for failure as a prior, necessary condition to call for a check (Charlaquin's approach) and (2) consequences for failure as a subsequent condition mandated by a prior decision to call for a check (my preferred approach, perhaps sometimes [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION]'s approach).

In approach (1), part of deciding whether or not to call for a check is inspecting the "causal" state of the fiction to determine whether or not it contains implicit consequences (eg guards who might be attracted by noise in a cell). This is one aspect of what I was trying to get at upthread in talking about an approach that focuses on "engineering" aspects of the fiction, like who is where when, and what causal processes are they participating in.

This is not an aspect of approach (2). Approach (2) determines whether or not to call for a check on a different basis (I'll say what in a moment). If a check is called for, and fails, then consequences will be narrated, which may require establishing new fictional elements (like guards, or a cursed sarcophagus) to be constituent elements of those consequences. To put it another way, if a consequence is needed then the GM establishes the requisite in-fiction "causal" conditions that will be part of that.

On approach (2), what triggers the decision to call for a check? That the moment of decision and action declaration is a dramatic or emotionally resonant moment in the unfolding fiction, as it is being played by the participants at the table. The uncertainty that underlies the call for a check is not "engineering" or "casual" uncertainty but dramatic, thematic, emotional uncertainty, the uncertainty of "This is a big deal, I hope it works out!"

On approach (2) players can't, in general, avoid rolling the d20 through careful/clever play. That's an idea that pertains to approach (1). Under approach (2) it may be that, if everyone at the table gets excited or moved or shocked by a player's declared action at a key moment then perhaps the GM doesn't call for a check - but again that's for reasons to do with emotion and drama, not "engineering" or skilled play.

During the playtest for 5e there were some posters on these boards who thought that the emerging rules for ability checks created scope for approach (2) as well as approach (1). I think that, in principle at least, this should be feasible with the final ruleset. Using approach (2) making it clear what the character is doing in the fiction, when a player declares an action, is as important as in approach (1) because that helps establish the fictional context for the extrapolation of consequences, including helping establish what exactly the player has put at stake by way of his/her PC's action. But the underlying logic of calling for checks is quite different as between the two approaches.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If I'm being sober about it, I think "I listen at the door" is fine, too, if minimal. The problem with that example is that it's probably where the two different styles meet, so it's not really a great illustration of the difference.

For the record, although I'd like for my game to be as "engineered", and to unfold as nicely, as the example I narrated earlier, it's definitely the exception. I find myself winging it much more than I want to, and too often think afterward "Oh, what I should have done was...." I'm not a great improv DM.

I'll add that I'm still licking my wounds over the accusation (e.g. @5ekyu) that it was over-engineered, that I wasn't allowing for the possibility that the story might unfold a different way. On the one hand, I really wanted (needed?) them to eventually/somehow find and open the secret door, and I had a couple of likely pathways mapped out. But yes...of course...if they did something completely unexpected (like siding with the Lady's attackers) I would have adapted.
Oh, sure, which is why I contacted with my, "crap, I have to run in 15 minutes."

Funny story. My wife, who doesn't play, is still used to my old style of running and asks every game day if I'm ready to run (because I used to prep for hours). I say, "probably not," and then don't do anything until about 30 minutes before the session.

Oh, sure, which is why I contacted with my, "crap, I have to run in 15 minutes."

Funny story. My wife, who doesn't play, is still used to my old style of running and asks every game day if I'm ready to run (because I used to prep for hours). I say, "probably not," and then don't do anything until about 30 minutes before the session.

I tend to overprep. Just this saturday I spent the entire day(!) prepping the session on sunday, only to find myself not having to use any of my prep work, thanks to my players just roleplaying, preparing for a battle, and being entertained by what I improvized on the spot. I don't like being unprepared. It has happened a few times, and always worked out alright, but as a general rule I'd rather have a big pile of notes full of prep-work, so that every last detail is well thought out.

Note to self: Putting a giant monster in a lake and keeping the details a secret is a great way to keep your players busy.

As I've stated before, if people think their PCs would be paranoid about a trap they get passive checks in exchange for moving more slowly because they're being cautious. If they're particularly paranoid because they want to open a chest or jewelry box because they're objects that would be logically trapped then they can roll and use the higher of their passive or the roll. But yeah, in my games there's not going to be a neon sign. Then again doors that get used all the time aren't going to be trapped either because that would just be dumb IMHO. Obviously using passive values does mean that there will be times when someone's passive is so high they detect every trap in which case I'll just narrate it.

I agree on having traps in locations that make sense. However, I prefer to avoid the classic search-for-traps-in-every-room scenario. That gets old fast. So instead I provide some sort of clue, however subtle, that something is amiss. It may just be a door that is ajar, when all the others are not. There don't have to be signs that the trap has been triggered before, but maybe something else stands out? A soft humming behind a door perhaps? (a magical trap) A strange smell? (a chemical trap) A corridor that is oddly clean? (a trapdoor)

I want to have clear indicators to my players when they could be expecting a trap and need to be cautious, so we don't get this default trap-search behavior. Also, I feel that having no trap searching most of the time, and then suddenly a very suspicious hallway, creates far more suspense. I think you need to have this contrast, in order to get your players on the edge of their seat. If they are always on high alert for traps, that some what diminishes the suspense of traps in my view.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Or if I was secretly Oofta and didn't know it :confused: :p
Well, it is true that no one has ever seen us in the same room together. :uhoh:

...even if they did fail the consequences of failing to break manacles are generally status quo, but the ability only works if they make a strength check.

I think this bears repeating. I don't think a failure of a check maintaining the status quo means there should be no check. It's quite illogical to me to say that every failure must have a negative consequence.

In this case there was a possible positive outcome for success, I can't imagine what a penalty could be that would make sense.

I think this is a confusion of speakers thing. Some people have been claiming they would not give definitive answers to an insight check because IRL you can't tell if someone is lying.

I think that is only a portion of the people discussing the shopkeeper though, which is what is causing the confusion here.

Yep. I don't believe insight equates to mind reading. If it did and was admissable as evidence then it would solve every mystery with a simple "Did you do it?" Now that would be boring.

But some of the responses make it sound like people have never read a mystery or watched a police procedural. Some of the questioners coming out of the interrogation saying things like "I think they're lying" or "They're hiding something, we need to figure out what" is just par for the course. Even if they use insight as magical truth detectors they still have to find proof.

Remove ads