D&D 5E Warlording the fighter

Eric V

Hero
So what?

Not to belabor the point, but clerics/bards/druids use magic for healing. It does make sense for non-magical healing to be mechanically different. If you want to heal like a cleric, bard, or druid... those classes are available already.

I thought you didn't want to belabour the point?

You're doing it again...

Hussar

Legend
To be fair though, allowing Warlords to grant access to HD in combat is an idea with legs. You could have the Warlord grant standard Hd healing in combat and then significant bonuses to HD out of combat. Say plus Xd6 depending on level.

Thus you get a different kind of healing without the Warlord burning out the party's adventuring day. Day length is continued through the bonus hp granted while in combat healing is possible too.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Doing what again?

Saying "you don't get to produce effect X because classes A, B, and C already exist for doing that," with a side of "the effect you're asking for cannot possibly be nonmagical, why aren't you just playing a magic class." Also, assuming that all possible (mechanically distinct) forms of HP refilling have been exhausted by the Bard, Cleric, and Druid, despite the fact that there's even one other core supernatural healer (Paladin, esp. Devotion) and there are already nonmagical exanples qhich can be expanded upon, extrapolated from, or taken as meaningful inspiration.

In-combat Hit Dice are a bit of a thin example, since HD fall behind significantly after level 5 or so (even without specialized healers). It's not a bad place to start, by any means. But even supported by a stat mod boost, it's only equivalent to ~90% of most characters' HP getting restored over the course of the first day, and then only ~50% every day thereafter. With monsters hitting as hard as they do, and Hit Dice recovery being so slow, the Warlord simply wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands of 3-4 average-to-light adventuring days*, and certainly not a "we're rolling badly, they're rolling great" day (which, statistically speaking, *should* happen now and then).

*"Moderately light" adventure days would, presumably, be about 6 encounters, not all combats, where those that are combats are not "deadly" difficulty and most are much less of a resource expenditure than that.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
I had considered simply avoiding this thread, because the only thing I wanted to post here was a stream of invective.

I got better.
So you're not going to be streaming any invective?

For perspective, I went and looked up "Inspiring Word" from the 4e Warlord,
Congratulations, you are now almost 0.28% informed on the topic of the Warlord.

and it was then that I understood how hypocritical and disingenuous Tony has been in this thread.
There's that stream of invective you weren't going to use. You held out for over 20 words. Congratulations. It's better than you've been doing.

He's asserted, or at least strongly implied, that the class should be modelled closely after the 4e Warlord, but dismissed my suggestions regarding the Warlord's "martial healing" simply granting access to hit dice as being unacceptable. It turns out, that's exactly what Inspiring Word does in 4e. The 4e Warlord is limited to 2 of these per encounter, 3 after level 16. They come with a bonus, 1d6 at level 1 and another 1d6 every 3 levels or so.

Here are those suggestions:

Here's my thoughts on the matter: let the Warlord spend an action motivating an ally, at the end of which the ally could spend one of its total hit dice to restore hit points. If its total hit dice are 5 or greater, it can spend 2; 3 if 11 or greater; 4 if 17 or more. The ally can't regain hit points again from this feature until it completes a rest. Since this would require the ally to be conscious, it is important for the Warlord to be able to prevent an ally from being knocked out at zero. Perhaps a reaction to grant Relentless Endurance, or perhaps a command aura that lets allies remain conscious until the first death save failure. Or both. This would be like the Warlord giving an ally a "Second Wind."

Beyond that, the Warlord should be handing out temporary hit points. That's my current view.

Would that be enough?

And my response:

No, a solution that relies mainly on temp hps would not be adequate. HD might be a component of any hp-restoration mechanic, but it shouldn't be entirely dependent on them, nor is a single, limited mechanic going to be sufficient.

5e has a lot of open design space available, it doesn't have a consistent overall structure for classes or special abilities, so, in theory, almost anything might be added.

Clearly, it's not HD that's the stumbling block. A 5e action instead of a 4e minor is a major limitation, and the implied reliance on Temps, and the lack of scaling, and the inability to affect allies at 0 hps all make it inadequate.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Healing word smacks of magic, and Warlords are, from a narrative standpoint, expressly non-magical. For some that's not an issue, for some it is. I'm not going to exclude some by ignoring this aspect, nor tell people they have to ignore it for the game to work for them.
Magic Missile smacks of magic, too, but that doesn't stop anyone from using arrows. Cantrips take attack rolls and roll dice for damage, doesn't stop anyone from making attack rolls and rolling dice for damage with weapons (and vice versa).

The issue you're talking about is edition war hyperbole. No one will be excluded from the game by ignoring that invalid screed. Anyone honestly bothered by such things can just choose not to play Warlords, or, when playing Warlords, avoid those options that they've convinced themselves are problematic.

Marginalizing others concerns as rubbish is a bad way to approach designing a class. Not to mention that it's insulting.
Fans of Warlords are the ones who have been excluded, and would be marginalized by knuckling under to the unreasonable and irrational demands of edition war rhetoric that was never valid, and is now utterly irrelevant.

Just make sure that the 'objectionable' (ie, good/balanced/viable) choices have alternative options. Every class should have that much flexibility, really.

Marginalizing others concerns as rubbish is a bad way to approach designing a class.
As is paying attention to concerns that actually are rubbish. The edition war produced a lot of rubbish.

If you have advice or feedback on how to make a Warlord faithful to the concept, other than ignoring people's concerns, I'd love to hear your ideas.
Address their concerns by making the edition-war hot-botton features of the Warlord optional at the player level. That way they need never play a warlord with those features. If Inspiring Word is one of many choices, choosing something else is trivially easy.
It's a simple solution, entirely in line with 5e design philosophies. Even mechanics that aren't hot-buttons could do with such enlightened treatment.

On a side note, I really liked the idea of healing surges in 4e and do kind of feel that hit dice are underutilised in 5e. It could be a great resource for effects during combat, the fighter's second wind, for instance, could have been a power which enabled them to call upon their reserves and spend hit dice for self-healing in battle.
Yes, that would have been a more consistent design. But there was a great hew & cry from the usual suspects against HD during the playtest (because they are conceptually similar to surges). Instead of integrating HD into most hp-restoration sub-systems the way they were in 4e, and giving the game a firm foundation for day length in a fairly stable amount of available healing, /and/ providing a 'touch point' for modules that could, across the board, make the game 'grittier' or 'more epic' by restricting or enhancing healing, they isolated HD from other sub-systems so modules could constrict or eliminate them (and overnight healing), /without/ impacting the healing available from spells, potions and the like.

That's another unfortunate argument against using HD to fuel Inspiring Word. As elegant a possible solution as it may be when done well, it's not workable with modules meant to constrain or virtually eliminate non-magical healing be reducing HD, slowing their recovery, slowing natural healing, or eliminating the HD mechanic entirely. (It's not a very strong argument, because, really, why have a Warlord in campaign using such a magocentric module?)

[MENTION=59506]El Mahdi[/MENTION]: One take-away from all the above. Give players /options/ with your class or sub-classes. Don't hard-code in hp restoration or temp hps or any other mechanics (whether spurious objections were raised about them in the edition war or not) or specific concepts, but make your class & sub-classes /flexible/. There's a tremendous amount of versatility - at chargen, level-up, and even day-to-day, in most 5e classes. The Warlord, a leader, tactician, & strategist, needs to be designed to be resourceful and flexible. You can't just throw some big-number at him like you can the fighter and call it a day and expect to do the concept justice, let alone have a worthy successor to the original.

epithet

Explorer
All you ever had to do was stop repeating edition-war nonsense.

You didn't know what healing word was, and had to look it up. You clearly know little about 4e, and are not qualified to make the kind of ripped-from-the-edition-war judgements you've been aggressively throwing out in this thread.

I'm not saying you can't contribute, just that you have chosen to do so in counter-productive ways, so far. Just stop repeating edition-war rubbish, don't be so judgmental towards things you know nothing about, and focus on relevant things you do have some experience with. Pre-4e D&D really isn't very relevant to the discussion, but 5e is, and we've all had equal opportunity to experience it in the last year.

Oh, I know what Healing Word is. I know, in fact, because it is a 5e spell. I wasn't familiar with Inspiring Word, because it's from 4e.

I'm not interested in making a 4e Warlord class, because it seems like 4e already has one. I'm interested in a 5e class, and I play and DM in 5e games... so I'm qualified. You, on the other hand, seem like you're having problems discussing this issue without having flashbacks to 2009 and becoming defensive over imagined hostility to what seem to be your favorite edition and class.

One thing I've noticed is that while you are consistently dismissive toward just about everything I have to say on this matter, you never actually provide anything to back up your dismissal. You say that the amount of healing I suggest is inadequate, but refuse to quantify what you want to see. You rail against my invalid criticisms, but can't be bothered to invalidate them.

Since you seem to have these 2009 debates so fresh in your mind, why don't you favor us all with a few highlights, demonstrating why everything I have to say in this thread is without merit? Take your time, I'll be here.

The truth is, Tony, that your efforts to drive me and others from this thread and this discussion prove that you are only interested in one thing: finding people who agree with you and your very particular concept of what a Warlord ought to be. Anyone who disagrees with you is spouting "rubbish." Anyone who suggests an alternative to your Shining Perfect Platonic Form of a Warlord (which you seem unwilling to actually describe with specificity) is being "counter-productive."

There has been a lot of "edition war nonsense" in the past several pages of this thread, Tony. It's all been from you. And so, instead of exchanging ideas about a class we all might enjoy having in the 5th edition of D&D, we're instead talking about the asinine way you've turned this into an argument. You're out of line. If you don't agree with something I have to say, fine... express a contrary position and back it up. If all you have to say is "that's nonsense from 2009" then I can only interpret that as "I don't like what you are saying but I can't argue with your reasoning."

epithet

Explorer
Saying "you don't get to produce effect X because classes A, B, and C already exist for doing that," with a side of "the effect you're asking for cannot possibly be nonmagical, why aren't you just playing a magic class." Also, assuming that all possible (mechanically distinct) forms of HP refilling have been exhausted by the Bard, Cleric, and Druid, despite the fact that there's even one other core supernatural healer (Paladin, esp. Devotion) and there are already nonmagical exanples qhich can be expanded upon, extrapolated from, or taken as meaningful inspiration.

In-combat Hit Dice are a bit of a thin example, since HD fall behind significantly after level 5 or so (even without specialized healers). It's not a bad place to start, by any means. But even supported by a stat mod boost, it's only equivalent to ~90% of most characters' HP getting restored over the course of the first day, and then only ~50% every day thereafter. With monsters hitting as hard as they do, and Hit Dice recovery being so slow, the Warlord simply wouldn't be able to keep up with the demands of 3-4 average-to-light adventuring days*, and certainly not a "we're rolling badly, they're rolling great" day (which, statistically speaking, *should* happen now and then).

*"Moderately light" adventure days would, presumably, be about 6 encounters, not all combats, where those that are combats are not "deadly" difficulty and most are much less of a resource expenditure than that.

No, what I actually was saying is that HD based healing shouldn't be dismissed just because the magical healers don't do it that way. I suggested the possibility that non-magical healing and magical healing might use different mechanics. That seems like a fairly simple, non-threatening suggestion, but clearly it seems to have struck a nerve.

Using HD seems pretty flexible. The Second Wind ability essentially gives the fighter a couple of extra hit dice every day that he can burn in combat with a bonus, and the resulting heal remains relevant even at higher levels.

One thing that I think should be avoided is to take a healing spell and copy its effect verbatim, then say "but it's not magical." It's like the development of psionics for 5e in that sense - you don't want to just copy a bunch of spells that the psionic class can cast and say "but it's psionic, not magic." There should be a way to make psionics different from spellcasting, and there should be a way to make non-magical restoration different from magical healing.

Some people in here have been against anything resembling too strongly the 4e warlord and have given (IMO) fairly specious reasoning for it (it wouldn't work wit optional DMG rules, for example); none of that s conducive to a conversation about getting a faithful representation of the class up and running, from my perspective.

Ok, in this I believe I can afford to be not silent. When one adapts a class who should you focus on? the fans or the detractors? For example I think the sorcerer class was designed by a wizard player, too focused on making sure it didn't step on the wizard's toes, and the class suffered from it. The end result was a class that felt strong, but only because we were playing it wrong, and the errata has effectively nerfed it, now there is no reason to play a dragon sorcerer if favored soul/storm sorc are available. The same but more could go to the warlord. Who is goign to play the warlord? who wants the warlord? thee warlord players! Want to listen to haters so they can stomach being on the same table? of course! Will you compromise something essential to the fans to please the haters? No way!

Good call. Greater granularity/realism may be what some people 'really' want when they complain about disconnects and inconsistencies in the very abstract hp system. 5e is meant to be modular...

If they implemented maneuvers for the martial classes, and keep the controversial stuff contained within it...

Saying "you don't get to produce effect X because classes A, B, and C already exist for doing that," with a side of "the effect you're asking for cannot possibly be nonmagical, why aren't you just playing a magic class."

Don't have any dog in this fight at all anymore, but the most fascinating aspect of the last 3 years (the evolution of the playtest from all angles including forum behavior, the nature/framing of the questionnaires, and the retreating/morphing design goals...each subsequent iteration and finally the finished product) has been the weird gatekeeing aspect of our cute little nerd culture.

In the beginning it was full court press of outrage over various "controversial" elements that were included in various iterations. This outrage was framed in "BUT, BUT, BUT you can't taint MY D&D with your NOT D&D stuff...you can have it, but only in the modules...oh you're crying about this?...you reactionary baby, 5e is modular and there will be an onslaught of modules to recreate your preferred play experience...you'll have to build a friggin ark to survive the deluge". The "NOT D&D" stuff was removed or retreated from in subsequent iterations. Gatekeeping.

Fast forward a year later and (presumably) interested parties are still waiting for various modules so 5e might recreate their preferred play experience so they can buy-in (they're posting in these kinds of threads, afterall). The reasoning for modular design provided was that a light, mostly neutral chassis would be agile enough to plug in add-ons without too much second and third order wonkiness which might cause the system to crash. A nice side-effect would be that "controversial" elements (D&D is serious business) could be siloed away from "D&D is serous business and we don't take kindly to your kind around here" guy so he won't have any fits of uncontrollable nerd rage or perhaps an aneurism (uh oh liability!). Makes sense. Fair enough.

So now that certain official modular stuff isn't here, our nerd culture gatekeeping goalposts have shifted from "5e is modular, just be patient and you can have your nice things too" to "ok, so you didn't get your modules...tough break...oh and any of those prospective modules that you want the devs to spend their time working on (rather than something else)...they have to pass my smell test...what, are you unreasonable now and you can't compromise!!!"

One day, when aliens do a fly-by and nuke us from orbit (its the only way to be sure), they're going to download these last 3 years of our nerdom into their cool alien ship hard-drives and have a good laugh on the way home to Alpha Centuri 0009er.

Remove ads