Pathfinder 1E Best favored enemy choices

Khitan

Explorer
Hi all!
I'm sorry if something like this is already been discussed but I couldn't find it anywhere...

I'm abaout to start a campaign and I'm building a 8th level ranger. I have a problem choosing the favored enemies because I've never played over fifth leve characters so I don't know what I'm going to find. I asked my master but he wouldn't tell me anything so I'm completely blind^^
By background I lived most of my life in a warm forest (something like amazonian forest) so I'd like to choose something that could be found in that tipe of terrain. Other than that I got nothing.

So I'm asking you^^
Wich favored enemies do you recommend for a 8th level campaign? The only thing I know is that in the continent there are dragons but I don't know if we're going to fight them or not.

Crothian

First Post
Ask the DM again but explain to him that the usefulness of this ability is solely in his hands. He can easily make it a waste by having your character rarely or never running into his favored enemies. Otherwise you are guessing and hoping that something comes up.

If your DM still refuses to answer then pick the creatures you want to fight like Giants or maybe dragons. Then in game look for rumors of them and seek them out. Be proactive about it.

Razjah

Explorer
Human is always a good one (or the dominant race for the region). Magical beast or aberration are handy too since they are plentiful in the monster books. But Crothian gave the best advice- talk to the GM.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Definitely agree with Crothian. If I were GM, you'd want undead humanoid and outsider, but that's for my games. Every GM is different, every setting is different, what makes a good FE depends entirely on your GM and setting.

Wicht

Hero
Animal (or magical beast if its a high magic area) as your minor favored enemy to mirror a jungle hunter, then human (or the dominant humanoid race your character has had exposure to as an enemy) to mirror being a jungle warrior skilled at defending your home. Most games will throw humans at you fairly often as enemies. Then if there is another race that crops up a lot, pick them when you get to 10th level.

Kinak

First Post
Yeah, [MENTION=232]Crothian[/MENTION] has this one for sure. Ask the GM about it. You probably also want it to be justified, so talking to them about what you've already fought in your backstory wouldn't be bad.

Humans are good for most campaigns. Evil outsiders come up a lot. You almost always fight some aberrations and undead as well.

As far as levels go, the big differences are that you'll be able to fight lots of giants and you're probably past fighting goblins. It's not universal, but outsiders tend to show up more as you go up in levels. Most campaigns save that for past 8th, though.

Going in blind, I'd probably fashion myself as a straight-up defender of nature (against unnatural menaces and civilization), taking aberrations or undead and humans.

Cheers!
Kinak

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
Personally I like to go with Orc because of the fact that they are fairly common enemies. But since you are such a high level I would encourage your DM to take the time to help you with the decision. I would ask "What on this list will I most likely be fighting in the future?" if he doesn't give you the time of day then your DM might be the problem. When I DM I always take the time to help my players out, if he won't do that there is little you can do save guess. Hope this helped :D

Khitan

Explorer
Thanks for the advices^^
Problem is the DM thinks that telling me what are we likely going to find would be spoilering or something like that... I tried to make him understand that I need to know (not exactly what we're going to face but at least have some choices like the most probable ones) to be sure that I don't waste one of the main strength of the character but he just said that he couldn't tell me anything.
Same goes for the most common races, populations and such. He just told me that there are no tribes of savage races (like orcs and goblins) and I can find anything because in the setting there's everything. Even when I told him from what part of the continent I wanted to come and I asked him which creatures where most common in that area he just told me that he couldn't spoiler it. Just "whatever you can find in a pluvial area".

Crothian

First Post
You can always ask the DM if you can define the ability later in the game and just leave them blank for now.

How well do you know the DM? Have you gamed with him/her before? Are you friends out of game? Most importantly do you trust the DM?

Remove ads