D&D (2024) So what's happening with Ranger?

What is the 2024 Synthesis Ranger?

• Favored Enemy A

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Favored Enemy B

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Other Favored Enemy

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Natural Exporer A

• Natural Exporer B

• Other Natural Explorer

• Tireless A

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Tireless B

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Other Tireless

• Nature's Veil A

• Nature's Veil B

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Other Nature's Veil

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Foe Slayer A

• Foe Slayer B

• Other Foe Slayer

• This poll will close: .

You need to assume single class AND that each ability is equal in power.

That 2 uses of bardic inspiration is equal to 2 uses of rage, which is equal to 2 uses of second wind, which is equal to 2 uses of wild shape....

Then sure, using proficiency bonus would work.

But multiclassing exsist, and not all powers are equal.
I won't argue that.
I still can imagine how it could have been done and be balanced.

ECMO3

Hero
I'm thinking BBAAB. I wouldn't expect any A if Crawford didn't say they were combining the two. I could see Nature's Veil going back to using slots. Especially if the the ranger spells aren't buffed.

I would agree, this is probably waht we are going to get and I am somewhat bummed about it.

I really like the Tasha's Ranger and I feel like this is a step backwards. What would have been good is more spells, especially sorerer and wizard types of spells that could be chosen with Primal awareness instead of the fixed nature ones. Instead we got remapping the class into more of a martial and actually weakening its spell abilities or making them more weapon focused.

Personally, I would like to see Hunter's Mark just thrown out all together. I like Hex with the Warlock (and would actually be ok with Hex on the Ranger spell list as a spell that can be chosen). But Hunter's Mark in its current form just feels wrong on a Ranger and worse it just doesn't feel like it should be a spell at all. It is a "magic spell" but it seems to have little magical flavor at all.

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Personally, I would like to see Hunter's Mark just thrown out all together. I like Hex with the Warlock (and would actually be ok with Hex on the Ranger spell list as a spell that can be chosen). But Hunter's Mark in its current form just feels wrong on a Ranger and worse it just doesn't feel like it should be a spell at all. It is a "magic spell" but it seems to have little magical flavor at all.
D&D should have made multiple Marks.

Marks should be the Ranger equivalent of Smites. Actually little glowing magic marks rangers place on their quarry.

Hunter's Mark
Beastmaster's Mark
Gloomstalker's Mark
Horizon Walker's Mark.

Each with their bit of damage and some mystical effect. Some marks acting as focal points. Others as trackers or bugs.
Imagine an orc escaping a battle and running to his chief to report the party. His chief tells him to turn around and lift his mullet off his neck.

"You Fool! You've been marked! You've lead him right to us"

And the ranger (Dread Ambusher ready) and the party pounce out a nearby portal.

Horizon Walker's Mark​

5th level Conjuration
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 90 feet
Target: A creature that you can see within range
Components: V
Duration: 24 hours
Classes: Ranger
You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack. As a bonus action, you and up to four willing creatures are transported to unoccupied spaces within 30 feet of the marked quarry and the spell ends.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature or use the transportation to the current target.

Because a level 20 ranger should be a walking ball of paranoia.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Marks should be the Ranger equivalent of Smites. Actually little glowing magic marks rangers place on their quarry.

Hunter's Mark
Beastmaster's Mark
Gloomstalker's Mark
Horizon Walker's Mark.

Each with their bit of damage and some mystical effect. Some marks acting as focal points. Others as trackers or bugs.
Imagine an orc escaping a battle and running to his chief to report the party. His chief tells him to turn around and lift his mullet off his neck.

"You Fool! You've been marked! You've lead him right to us"

And the ranger (Dread Ambusher ready) and the party pounce out a nearby portal.

Horizon Walker's Mark​

5th level Conjuration
You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 fire damage to the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack. As a bonus action, you and up to four willing creatures are transported to unoccupied spaces within 30 feet of the marked quarry and the spell ends.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature or use the transportation to the current target.

Because a level 20 ranger should be a walking ball of paranoia.
That’s a cool idea!

I was shocked and disappointed that the 2024 rules update never tried to address the fact that ranger's do not have a unique mechanic. Paladin's have smite, barbarians have rage, sorcerers have metamagic, druids have wild shape, rogues have sneak attack and cunning action, etc. Rangers have a collection of features shared with other classes but nothing truly unique to them.

Last edited:

mellored

Legend

I'm not sure it should be glowing, but I agree with more marks.

Horizon Walker's Mark​

5th level Conjuration
IMO: Make it level 2, and teleport just yourself.
At higher level you can bring people with you.

Bullseye Mark
Level 2
...1d6 damage...
You can score a critical hit against the target on a 19.
At higher level: at level 3 you crit on an 18.
At level 4 you crit on a 17.
At level 5 you crit on a 16.

Flurry Mark
Level 2
...1d6...
You can make an attack against the target as a bonus action.
Level 4: make 2 attacks as a bonus action.

Elemental Mark
...1d6 damage. Chose between fire, cold, or electric when you cast this spell.

CapnZapp

Legend
When I looked at the 2014 ranger what struck me was that each and every ability should be given before level 12. That class got no really high level abilities. What it got at high level was weaksauce stuff spellcasters do better and earlier.

The 2024 ranger class better hand out completely new stuff at high level.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
IMO: Make it level 2, and teleport just yourself.
At higher level you can bring people with you.
It's planar teleportation so level 2 is too low. Plane shift is 7th level and doesn't come until caster level 13. The lowest I see as balanced due to the limitations is spell level 3 ranger level 9 for self teleport to the marked target.

Gloom Stalker's Mark​

2nd level Illusion
Duration: 1 hour
You choose a creature you can see within range and mystically mark it as your quarry. Until the spell ends, you deal an extra 1d6 necrotic damage to the target and magical darkness spreads in a 5 foot radius centered on the target whenever you hit it with a weapon attack. The darkness last until the start of your next turn or until you end it as a reaction.

If the target drops to 0 hit points before this spell ends, you can use a bonus action on a subsequent turn of yours to mark a new creature.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 3rd or 4th level, you can maintain your Concentration on the spell for up to 8 hours. When you use a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can maintain your Concentr⁠ation on the spell for up to 24 hours.

Remove ads