Two New Settings For D&D This Year

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc) However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

if it comes out this year i would agree with you. Possibly published by a third party company that has a good reputation (Green Ronin etc)

However if it’s coming next year I would stake all the money in my pockets that it will be a Curse of Strahd style book. Campaign with background and new monsters etc. Curse of Strahd was too successful not to repeat!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If they really were going to hit the "hardcore" fans, they could do so and really piss a lot of people off at the same time by giving us Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur.

An Arabian styled setting and an Asian styled setting... and yet both of them are still Forgotten Realms. LOL! We'd get a whole morass of people freaking out that we when we get all new campaign settings we still aren't leaving Abeir-Toril. ;)

silentdante

Explorer
If they really were going to hit the "hardcore" fans, they could do so and really piss a lot of people off at the same time by giving us Al-Qadim and Kara-Tur.

An Arabian styled setting and an Asian styled setting... and yet both of them are still Forgotten Realms. LOL! We'd get a whole morass of people freaking out that we when we get all new campaign settings we still aren't leaving Abeir-Toril. ;)

this made me giggle much to much...

Osgood

Adventurer
I'll bet the 2 summer surprises with be DM Guild or UA releases of the Artificer and Mystic, which was hinted at earlier in the year, but the surprise will be that these 2 docs include treatments of the Eberron and Dark Sun settings.

gyor

Legend
It does not feel wrong at all. There really only needs to be two types of the default elf. This is easier and simpler to adapt. High Elves 5e represent stuff like the High Elf, Grey Elf, Sun Elf and Moon Elf. As they all fall into similar culture and appearance. Wood Elves 5e represent the fairly simple wild and wood elf types.

Then Eladrin represent the Feywild Elves.
Sea Elves the Underwater Elves.
Shadar Kai the Shadowfell Elves.
Avariel the Sky Elves.
Drow the Underground Elves.

Which of those represents Lythari Elves? And Fey'ri Elves (Elf Tieflings).

gyor

Legend
The wording is all a little vague - especially broken into separate quotes in the article. For one thing, the number of things is a bit vague from "a couple settings" and "two surprises this summer" but possibly a (third?) different surprise they are announcing in July??

Also, nowhere does he state that any of these will be hardcover releases or physical products of any sort. Given the way the publishing industry works, I'd say a hardcover, or even any printed book, this summer has Zero chance of coming out. Another hardcover at the end of the year also seems unlikely at this point but that's still being debated to death elsewhere so I won't get into that. :)

Since no retailers or distributors are showing signs of other physical releases especially this summer, I'd presume Planeshift/EEPC style PDF releases. Not to mention that earlier this year Nathan Stewart said they had exciting plans for DMs Guild this year. So some PDF releases on DMs Guild as introductions to the settings in 5e (and hopefully opening up DMs Guild to 3pp products for this settings!) seems to be a lower cost and less risky way to satisfy a lot fans without competing too directly with their hardcover sales. I would be incredibly amazed if they were another hardcover(s) rather than DMs Guild PDF releases.

This is possible, and it makes sense, because in next year you can follow it up with proper Setting books.

gyor

Legend

Sounds fun.

What?

Why did you add images of Spelljammer and Dark Sun directly below Stewart's statement? That just creates the implication those two images was the "thing" he was talking about. He was not. From comicbook.com:

Note - no pictures between these two paragraphs.

Neither Waterdeep nor Barovia can in any way be compared to a full-blown setting like those pictured.

But Rock of Bral and Sigil would both count for the scale we're talking about.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads