D&D 5E High Level Zealot Barbarians Immortal?

OzDragon

First Post
Not quite... you don't track damage after you hit zero. Any damage causes a failed death save only (crits cause 2). The only time you check the damage dealt after zero is to see if the damage dealt in that hit exceeds hit point maximum. If it does, you suffer instant death. So, the only thing the Zealot in your example has to fear is being hit for 150 damage in one go. Otherwise, she can soak an unlimited amount of damage.

OK I was unsure about the damage after reaching zero. The death save part does not apply due to the ability states it ignores that rule.(unless of course you were using it as an example of the normal rule.)

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
[MENTION=6803601]OzDragon[/MENTION] Yes, but let's consider for a moment. 9 times out of 10, a barbarian is going to rage before entering combat. They wade into the fray already carrying the largest pool of HP to soak damage. They got toe to toe with one or more combatants. Let's say 3 rounds in they take a blow that would leave them at or below 0 HP. Barbarians already have an ability to make a special constitution save and instead go to 1 HP. Let's say the barbarian makes that save twice, maybe 3 times (as more attacks hit) before finally failing. We can say 4-5 rounds pass total since the start of combat. Now instead of going unconscious, they can stay up. Yes they can continue to fight and soak up damage, but they have 5 rounds max before they finally succumb. And by the end of it you have to A) hope you have a healer with spells left, B) have a cure wounds potion, goodberry, or healer kit ready, or C) hope you have a cleric with Raise Dead (since the Zealot doesn't need the material cost for the spell). Is it a powerful ability? Yes. But it's still limited enough in terms of time/duration that it really only works out to a few rounds of being functional until they need some kind of healing.

Frankie1969

Adventurer
Here's how you beat a Zealot Barbarian.
Sleep.
Aw yes, now I know for sure, my next character will be a Half-Elf Zealot.
Party face barbarian and manic street preacher.

"Hail and well met, new friends! Let us drink ale together and revel in the name of Ishtar. Oh, you haven't heard the good word of Our Lady of Love and War? That's no problem at all, here's some literature about her majestic strength and beauty. No? What did you just say? Oh, dear, that's too bad. If your ears aren't willing to receive Ishtar's blessing, then instead they'll get MY WAR AXE!!!"

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Aw yes, now I know for sure, my next character will be a Half-Elf Zealot.

Before they changed Elven accuracy to not work with Strength, this was my plan.

Though his power was going to come from being cursed by a god(s), so he wasn't one to go about proselytizing.

Last edited:

Mephista

Adventurer
And this is why you kill the healer first.

Seriously, though. Your tank is being really good at his / her job, but they're still susceptible to something like Hold Person or Suggestion, just like anyone else. Or fear effects.

As far as I can tell, there's only a single antagonist without some kind of supernatural ability from CR 11 and on, and its the purple worm. There's a handful more (I'm counting about seven or so) that don't have any relevant abilities, usually because its just more damage or a teleport. But that's only a small handful of level-appropriate monsters that couldn't have an immediate solution to the Barbarian Zealot issue here.

OzDragon

First Post
@OzDragon Yes, but let's consider for a moment. 9 times out of 10, a barbarian is going to rage before entering combat. They wade into the fray already carrying the largest pool of HP to soak damage. They got toe to toe with one or more combatants. Let's say 3 rounds in they take a blow that would leave them at or below 0 HP. Barbarians already have an ability to make a special constitution save and instead go to 1 HP. Let's say the barbarian makes that save twice, maybe 3 times (as more attacks hit) before finally failing. We can say 4-5 rounds pass total since the start of combat. Now instead of going unconscious, they can stay up. Yes they can continue to fight and soak up damage, but they have 5 rounds max before they finally succumb. And by the end of it you have to A) hope you have a healer with spells left, B) have a cure wounds potion, goodberry, or healer kit ready, or C) hope you have a cleric with Raise Dead (since the Zealot doesn't need the material cost for the spell). Is it a powerful ability? Yes. But it's still limited enough in terms of time/duration that it really only works out to a few rounds of being functional until they need some kind of healing.

The barbarian can end his rage once healed at any point. Then enter a new rage.
It does not matter how many times they get hit while at zero hp loss is no longer cumulative. So other than losing rage they are in fact immortal. That is why I say its a bit broken.

Last edited:

OzDragon

First Post
And this is why you kill the healer first.

Seriously, though. Your tank is being really good at his / her job, but they're still susceptible to something like Hold Person or Suggestion, just like anyone else. Or fear effects.

As far as I can tell, there's only a single antagonist without some kind of supernatural ability from CR 11 and on, and its the purple worm. There's a handful more (I'm counting about seven or so) that don't have any relevant abilities, usually because its just more damage or a teleport. But that's only a small handful of level-appropriate monsters that couldn't have an immediate solution to the Barbarian Zealot issue here.

This is a grey area with me. Yes they have the ability to do these things but do they know that doing so will kill them?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
It does not matter how many times they get hit while at zero hp loss is no longer cumulative. So other than losing rage they are in fact immortal. That is why I say its a bit broken.

I wouldn't say immortal. This is basically Dinobot from Beast Wars before he died. He had a few more seconds to complete what needed to be done before expiring, ensuring that sacrifice is meaningful. Themstic, powerful, but I would still argue not broken. But that's just my take.

Edit: I don't think either RAW or RAI would allow a Zealot barbarian to end rage at 0 HP and use/start a new rage to remain conscious. Even an ability like reactive rage would not be quick enough to allow such a thing. That they are at 0 HP while raging means the moment rage ends they go down. No time to re-rage.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Immortal as long as the healing potions hold out? And you don't run out of rages?

But more likely, if you're hovering around 0 hp, you're going to have trouble surviving the round between rages. Remember you can't stop and start raging on the same turn.

Remove ads