D&D 5E High Level Zealot Barbarians Immortal?

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
So am I reading this right? In XGtE, Path of the Zealot barbarians have an ability to remain conscious at 0 HP as long as they're raging. It's their level 14 ability. But then, level 15 barbarians gain the ability to rage indefinitely with persistent rage. Does this effectively mean that as long as the Zealot Barbarian continues to make their death saving throws, they are effectively immortal?

G

Guest 6801328

If that's how you want to define immortality...as succeeding on Death saving throws...then all characters are potentially immortal.

It sounds like Zealot Barbarians (I don't have Xan's so can't confirm) can also potentially remain conscious during that time. That's very different from having some kind of special resistance to Death itself.

OzDragon

First Post
Per the PHB any damage you take at or below zero HP equals a failed death save. If crit in this condition you receive two failed saves.

So you get reduced to zero HP stay up due to this feature. A level 11 warlock or fighter or any combination of getting hit 3 times before you receive healing and you are dead.

So no not immortal at all.

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Per the PHB any damage you take at or below zero HP equals a failed death save. If crit in this condition you receive two failed saves.

So you get reduced to zero HP stay up due to this feature. A level 11 warlock or fighter or any combination of getting hit 3 times before you receive healing and you are dead.

So no not immortal at all.

Ah, I forgot about that mechanic with death saves. I thought taking damage just drew another save, not auto fail. That makes a bit more sense. But then, in that same vein, it seems rather weak as a capstone. Interesting how that slight change makes it either too good or too weak.

Ah, I forgot about that mechanic with death saves. I thought taking damage just drew another save, not auto fail. That makes a bit more sense. But then, in that same vein, it seems rather weak as a capstone. Interesting how that slight change makes it either too good or too weak.
A level 14 ability isn't a capstone. The capstone for barbarians is +4 to Strength and Con, which is among the best capstones in the game.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
A level 14 ability isn't a capstone. The capstone for barbarians is +4 to Strength and Con, which is among the best capstones in the game.

It's their archetype capstone. Compared to other barbarian archetype capstones, it is rather weak. The barbarian' s primary class capstone has nothing to do with this topic.

It's their archetype capstone. Compared to other barbarian archetype capstones, it is rather weak. The barbarian' s primary class capstone has nothing to do with this topic.
Archetype capstones - if you want to use that terminology - aren't necessarily anything impressive. The totem one gives you a choice of becoming the tank for the party, or flying on your turn only (so you can't really use it to engage a flying enemy). The berserker one lets you attack as a reaction, which is actually kind of powerful, but it's balancing for the rest of the archetype being pretty underwhelming.

This zealot ability seems pretty situational - it lets you keep acting instead of falling unconscious, even if the healer hasn't revived you yet - but whether it's overpowered or underpowered is a question that only makes sense in the context of the rest of the archetype.

OzDragon

First Post
My problem with the ability is that it seems very meta gamey on when to use it.

Is the healer coming up next or very soon in the initiative order?
Yes: Use it and hope for the best. At the very least you can take some hits so someone else does not.
No: Just go down and the healer will get you up when they can. Most of the time bad guys will leave the downed opponents and deal with those that are an immediate threat.

Fanaelialae

Legend

It's actually quite strong when you consider that even 1 point of healing resets your death saves to 0. So, assuming no crits (let's assume for the sake of simplicity that this zealot wears adamantine armor) if he had at least 1 hp he knows he can act for at least 3 more hits (on the 4th hit he dies). If he gets any healing inside of that, he can once again basically ignore the next three hits. Pretty potent IMO.

G

Guest 6801328

If he's got a potion of healing in his pocket it's really quite powerful. Or proficiency with Healer's Kit.

Remove ads