D&D (2024) Barbarian (Playtest 7)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Initial thoughts on the Playtest 7 Barbarian.

• Danger sense (now level 2) is decoupled from Feral Instinct (level 7), giving advantage on Dex saving throws. This will stack with Evasion in multiclass builds effectively.
  • Primal Knowledge is now bumped to level 3, with the subclass. This was a fantastic addition to PT5, and I'm glad it is still with us. It gives a good range of skills for strength-based character. While I still query why Perception is there, I'm happy to have it, and the move to level 3 will mean it is slightly harder to have a dip into the class to get this: it will still be desirable, but not as much as it was after PT5. (It's a nerf, but an understandable one).
  • Brutal critical is dropped from level 11 to level 9, and adds variable damage, using a d12, instead of a flat bonus. It's always fun to roll d12s, and while it's a nerf, it's fine.
  • Subclasses: Berserker. Flexing your pecs to make people scream is now a bonus action (level 14).
  • Subclasses: Wild Heart. As predicted, the name changed from Totem (following BG3). Abilities at 3, 6, and 14 now have different animal associations, which weakens the story slightly ("I'm a bear-elephant-lion barbarian" is a mouthful.).
    • At level 6 ("Aspect of the Wilds"), you have an option to get a skill proficiency or expertise. Some of the skills (Investigation!) aren't even on the Barbarian list. So while I suspect most will choose stealth or athletics, the option exists to take a background giving investigation and get expertise on it here. That's AWESOME. Meet Sherlock Grog.
    • The level 14 abilities are all tweaked. You can rage yourself into continued flight, without always falling. Knocking someone prone isn't automatic, but now has a saving throw.
  • Subclasses: World Tree. So the capstone ability of this subclass is something I have wanted in the game for some time, which is a way for an individual to Plane Shift if they are not a primary spellcaster. It's something the Horizon Walker Ranger should have, but doesn't. And here it comes to a level 14 Barbarian, only one level behind when spellcasters get the ability. You might not always get where you want to go, but if a teleportation Circle exists on the plane anywhere, you can get there. That allows for some good story opportunities and character ambitions, even though most games don't get that high. Completely unexpected, but also Awesome.
I'm not someone who regularly plays barbarians, but there are good things here that I like, and I think I can imagine using them more now. A Barbarian 3/Rogue X multiclass is very appealing for a Strength-rogue build.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
  • At level 6 ("Aspect of the Wilds"), you have an option to get a skill proficiency or expertise. Some of the skills (Investigation!) aren't even on the Barbarian list. So while I suspect most will choose stealth or athletics, the option exists to take a background giving investigation and get expertise on it here. That's AWESOME. Meet Sherlock Grog.

Everybody get ready for Int 5 Sherlocks.

Brutal critical is dropped from level 11 to level 9, and adds variable damage, using a d12, instead of a flat bonus. It's always fun to roll d12s, and while it's a nerf, it's fine.
It's still an improvement over the PHB, which just had you roll extra dice of whatever weapon you were using. Given the push for more weapon variety, this is still a nice change.

On other stuff:
  • You can now use the Reckless Attack bonus on opportunity attacks and Retaliations.
  • The level 3 Eagle feature in the Wild Heart (formerly Totem) subclass allows you to both Disengage and Dash as a single bonus action. That makes it less sucky compared to the Bear and Wolf features. It still is in conflict with using a bonus action to sustain Rage if you're not attacking (ie: using Rage out of combat), so you can't get 3x movement per turn (move+Dash+Dash) until level 15.
  • The level 6 Spider feature giving potential expertise in Stealth is a neat development line (along with the option for Investigation, already mentioned).
  • I like the World Tree subclass, even aside from the teleportation capstone. Nice support at level 3 with granting temp HP. Drag creatures to you at level 6. And level 10 gives you a 15'-20' reach with any melee weapon, with bonus weapon masteries of Push and Topple. It feels like you'd have a lot of options for moving creatures around the battlefield.
  • The revised Rage Beyond Death for the Zealot subclass seems like a nice little buff with a cool effect.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Subclasses: Wild Heart. As predicted, the name changed from Totem (following BG3). Abilities at 3, 6, and 14 now have different animal associations, which weakens the story slightly ("I'm a bear-elephant-lion barbarian" is a mouthful.).
I wouldn't say it weakens it so much as it becomes the Bravestarr story. :) "Eyes of the hawk, ears of the wolf!"

Stalker0

Legend
I think the new Tree Barbs temp HP ability si going to need to get tweaked. Over the course of a 10 minute rage as the party is adventuring before the next combat, that is a LOT of dice rolling, as you can give temp hp to each character, over and over and over again. This smells of new twilight cleric cheese.

Mostly this looks like gasp good design, but a completely of bum notes:

1) World Tree THP can't be used on yourself ("another creature"). Idiotic. No full caster (except maybe a Bard) would be subjected to such a martial indignity, frankly. Absolutely double-standards drivel. It's not like THP stack, so unless you were getting absolutely hammered, spreading them around would make sense. Do better WotC.

2) Warrior of the God - Still a bad design fundamentally "Yo it's mildly easier to bring you back from the dead!", but with the idiot clause "the sole effect". Like clarifying not undead, great but this is truly awful "natural language" bollocks that can literally only cause arguments. List the spells it works on like an adult! And then maybe have the clause for future spells, if you insist.

And one element of shameful idiocy just continues forwards - DEX Barbarians remain 100% illegal.

But everything else? Looks like it's on par with or better than what we had.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Fun fact, a Barbarian is more likely than not to frighten an ancient dragon than they are to frighten them (which is none assuming they're raging).

This also assumes they don't use Legendary Resistance which they might but it's acrually ideal for the party if they use it on that feature.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
2) Warrior of the God - Still a bad design fundamentally "Yo it's mildly easier to bring you back from the dead!", but with the idiot clause "the sole effect". Like clarifying not undead, great but this is truly awful "natural language" bollocks that can literally only cause arguments. List the spells it works on like an adult! And then maybe have the clause for future spells, if you insist.
I assume they did this in case they add another ressurection spell so they don't have to errata every time.

Overall, I like what the Barbarian is becoming, especially Bravestarr Barbarian. Can match literary and cinema archetypes better. Still think it eats the Fighter’s lunch, but overall it’s an attractive class for people.

Remove ads