D&D (2024) Barbarian (Playtest 7)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Mostly this looks like gasp good design, but a completely of bum notes:

1) World Tree THP can't be used on yourself ("another creature"). Idiotic. No full caster (except maybe a Bard) would be subjected to such a martial indignity, frankly. Absolutely double-standards drivel. It's not like THP stack, so unless you were getting absolutely hammered, spreading them around would make sense. Do better WotC.
I can understand why they're being cautious, as 2d6 temp HP will generally go twice as far when you're in a rage. Having resistance makes giving the temp HP to yourself pretty much a no-brainer, whereas having to give it to other PCs makes it somewhat more tactical.

Granted, it's still not as good as twilight starship forcefield, but that ability is more than a bit lollerskates.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
If you use Reckless Attack while your Rage is active, you deal extra damage to the first target you hit on your turn with a Strength-based attack. To determine the extra damage, roll a number of d6s equal to your Rage Damage bonus, and add them together. The damage has the same type as the weapon or Unarmed Strike used for the attack.

This must be vague language because what I'm reading is that as long as you continue hitting the same target your entire turn, you get 2-6d6 extra damage every attack.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, they haven't changed the way crits work, right? Because I think Brutal Critical's extra damage also gets doubled based on how its worded.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I think the new Tree Barbs temp HP ability si going to need to get tweaked. Over the course of a 10 minute rage as the party is adventuring before the next combat, that is a LOT of dice rolling, as you can give temp hp to each character, over and over and over again. This smells of new twilight cleric cheese.
If any of these Temporary Hit Points remain when your Rage ends, they vanish.
Using up all your rage for a couple d6 temp hp that disappear every six seconds

I can understand why they're being cautious, as 2d6 temp HP will generally go twice as far when you're in a rage. Having resistance makes giving the temp HP to yourself pretty much a no-brainer, whereas having to give it to other PCs makes it somewhat more tactical.

Granted, it's still not as good as twilight starship forcefield, but that ability is more than a bit lollerskates.
I just don't buy it.

They'd never do that to a Full Caster not called Bard. Doesn't matter if that caster could exploit the hell out of it. It's not even thematic. Yeah it goes a long way - GOOD - that subclass otherwise doesn't have great features! It just had cute utility and zero damage. Why shouldn't Barbarians be good at being Barbarians? Why do they need to be buffers and supporters?

Just look at the Wizard and Wizard subclasses. Wizards, already an OP and super-boring class in 5E are just improved. Only improvements - huge ones in some cases (Memorize Spell is both on-theme and incredibly obnoxious, like that's Wizard fantasy material), and all make Wizards better at being Wizards - whereas stuff like this? Doesn't make you a better Barbarian. Doesn't make you a better front-liner. Compared to some abilities, it makes you a worse one, because you've got that instead of something making YOU better at fighting, and your job is fighting.

The 2024 Player’s Handbook will clarify that any creature can voluntarily fail any saving throw.
I'm just happy they're finally taking a stance on this common question. Even if they hid it in the middle of the Barbarian section for some reason.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I just don't buy it.

They'd never do that to a Full Caster not called Bard. Doesn't matter if that caster could exploit the hell out of it. It's not even thematic. Yeah it goes a long way - GOOD - that subclass otherwise doesn't have great features! It just had cute utility and zero damage. Why shouldn't Barbarians be good at being Barbarians? Why do they need to be buffers and supporters?

Just look at the Wizard and Wizard subclasses. Wizards, already an OP and super-boring class in 5E are just improved. Only improvements - huge ones in some cases (Memorize Spell is both on-theme and incredibly obnoxious, like that's Wizard fantasy material), and all make Wizards better at being Wizards - whereas stuff like this? Doesn't make you a better Barbarian. Doesn't make you a better front-liner. Compared to some abilities, it makes you a worse one, because you've got that instead of something making YOU better at fighting, and your job is fighting.
Fair. I would prefer to just, ya know, rein in casters, but since that seems to be a pipe dream, I suppose giving martials really strong abilities is a good backup plan.

Stalker0

Legend
If any of these Temporary Hit Points remain when your Rage ends, they vanish.
Using up all your rage for a couple d6 temp hp that disappear every six seconds
Keep in mind rage lasts 10 minutes now, AND gives you some sweeeet skill bonuses. A lot of barbs will end a combat and stay in rage, and even if just a few minutes go by into the next fight, that could be 20-30 temp hp rolls.

Remove ads