D&D (2024) Barbarian (Playtest 7)

Chaosmancer

Legend
At higher levels, sure.

At level 3, casting enhanced ability is going to be just as painful.

Maybe, but by level 5 it isn't.

And I'd actually argue that at level 3, the Barbarian still getting it worse. 1 Rage is 33% of the Barbarian's Daily allotment. A 2nd level spell is 33% of the wizard's SECOND LEVEL SPELLS, they still also have four 1st level spells, and those are still incredibly potent.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Who said you had to draw on animals? I said "primal" not "animalistic"
Drawing on the ideas of animals was the explanation you provided in the exact line I was quoting:
It is only as nonsensical as you force it to be. By drawing on primal power they are drawing on the ideas of animals. Tracking = stalking prey, Finding food and water, ect.

You are getting hung up on "but strength is only muscles" and not looking at the actual narrative at play here. Which is the barbarian entering a state of heightened focus and physical ability while drawing on the primal source of their rage. Remember, it isn't JUST these skills, but also Athletics, the only strength based skill.
I have no problem with Barbarians gaining heightened focus and physical ability, but using STR (which is defined as physical strength everywhere else in the game) to accomplish tasks that have nothing to do with strength is a lousy way of representing that.

This is really a silly argument. Because let us look at the 2014 Barbarian. Is a Dex-bard worse at perception than a Str-Barb? No. They are just better at dex skills, of which the barbarian really only wants one in general. The entire reason the Dex-barb exists is because people wanted stealthy barbarians.

Now, Dex-Barbs aren't encouraged.... because you can have stealthy barbarians without limiting your combat stats. And Con barbs are still equally viable.

But the crazy thing? Unless you were a Barbarian who was playing 16 Con, 16 Dex, 13 Str and 12 Wisdom.... Every other barbarian EVEN DEX BARBARIANS are likely better at perception than they were before. Because even with that 16 Con, 16 Dex, 13 Str, 12 wis build that forsakes all of their ability to use rage and reckless attack... they will still be able to roll perception with advantage. And any Con Barbarian that went 18 Con, 16 Str... is still doing fine.

No build is actually being made weaker here, it is just that the normal barbarian is getting better in a way that they really desperately needed.
A DEX or CON focused barbarian isn't losing anything directly, but they are gaining a smaller bonus than a STR focused barbarian. If the STR focused barbarian needed to get better, then Barbarians focused on other ability scores needed it even more.

mamba

Legend
I have no problem with Barbarians gaining heightened focus and physical ability, but using STR (which is defined as physical strength everywhere else in the game) to accomplish tasks that have nothing to do with strength is a lousy way of representing that.
it is a good way, because that is one of the Barbarian’s most important attributes.

If you have a problem with using a high attribute for something that is outside its usual scope, there are other examples too that then need fixing, like the Hexblade using CHA for weapon attacks instead of STR or DEX, as they ‘should’

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
And I'd have absolutely no problem with a barbarian spending a minute or two psyching themself up to rage without spending a rage.

I really like the idea that you can delay your entry into the fight in order to become more effective. Very cinematic. It's sort of the opposite of the scene in the Honor Among Thieves trailer: in this version the bard is holding off all the guards, begging the barbarian to help out. "Ok, you can join in any time now!!!"

Rocker26a

Explorer
And I'd have absolutely no problem with a barbarian spending a minute or two psyching themself up to rage without spending a rage.

I think all the "Primal classes" having the option to activate their signature ability with a ritual would be cool, thematic and useful. Rage, Wild Shape and... Whatever Ranger has.
I may retool my Ranger homebrew thing to have that option later. Lessens the sting of having a number of uses equal to Wisdom, which, yeah. It's most likely gonna be 2 for most of the game.

Rocker26a

Explorer
I like that.

I think Ranger's thing should be being the beast master, as it's the only unique thing they have...

I have mixed feelings honestly. Like, I really enjoy a Ranger who has an animal that they're best buddies with, flavour wise. But I'm dubious about how worthwhile it is as a subclass at this point. I like the idea of all the Primal classes getting the option of having a beast companion, but maybe Rangers get the strongest version. Or just using those sidekick rules.

Last edited:

Remove ads