D&D (2024) Barbarian (Playtest 7)

Rocker26a

Explorer
I've always thought Reckless Attack was a little weird in a narrative sense? Like it's a pretty game-y way of rendering the intended idea, that you're dropping your guard entirely for a (hopefully) killing blow. But as is, you could make your Reckless Attack, and spend the rest of your turn doing decidedly non-reckless things, and still have advantage on incoming attacks even though the moment's passed.

I was thinking about an alternate way of doing Reckless Attack, maybe as like an OCF, and an idea I quite liked on paper was; when you make a Reckless Attack, the creature(s) you attack recklessly can spend their reaction to attack you with advantage. So it basically acts as another condition for an attack of opportunity, just with advantage. I don't know that I'm entirely sold on this part, but. I may like it being that, whichever roll is higher lands first, so if you and your opponent have 1HP each, it's a dramatic clash.

I think something like this might help move it closer to the intended drama of it. Something in the vein of this moment from Berserk 1997 (or this one, though slightly different).

Last edited:

Horwath

Legend
I've always thought Reckless Attack was a little weird in a narrative sense? Like it's a pretty game-y way of rendering the intended idea, that you're dropping your guard entirely for a (hopefully) killing blow. But as is, you could make your Reckless Attack, and spend the rest of your turn doing decidedly non-reckless things, and still have advantage on incoming attacks even though the moment's passed.

I have no problem with it in narrative.

you drop your guard for more powerful attacks, you aim while not losing time blocking incoming blows.

something like this, hahaha:

Rocker26a

Explorer
I have no problem with it in narrative.

you drop your guard for more powerful attacks, you aim while not losing time blocking incoming blows.

something like this, hahaha:

I don't think it's awful or anything, I just think it could be a bit better personally. I think advantage on all incoming attacks for the round is a pretty heavy mechanical cost, and can also just let down the roleplay a bit.

(And also I will say, I feel like that GIF is more in line with what I was describing than Reckless Attack as it currently exists. Them both attacking simultaneously till whoever drops first. Like it's not a great match for either but I think it's closer to my thing.)

I don't think it's awful or anything, I just think it could be a bit better personally. I think advantage on all incoming attacks for the round is a pretty heavy mechanical cost, and can also just let down the roleplay a bit.

(And also I will say, I feel like that GIF is more in line with what I was describing than Reckless Attack as it currently exists. Them both attacking simultaneously till whoever drops first. Like it's not a great match for either but I think it's closer to my thing.)
You could grant every adjacent creature while you attack recklessly an opportunity attack against you.

Rocker26a

Explorer
You could grant every adjacent creature while you attack recklessly an opportunity attack against you.

Yeah! Like, I think even that is better than opening yourself up to being dogpiled by all the little buggers in a given encounter once your turn ends. But not so much better that it's a ridiculous proposition.

Last edited:

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I like Reckless Attack the way it is. Barbarians don't have many choices to make in combat as it is, but Reckless Attack lets you decide if you want to be a tank or striker each round.

It's my go-to example of how I think all martial powers should be designed. Not "uses per time period" (which is really just Vancian casting) but risk:reward.

Rocker26a

Explorer
That is not the drama of it. The drama (and gameplay) of it is being willing to take hits to attract them away from your allies.

I think that can be a part of the Barbarian in general, sure. But I don't think that's necessarily the intent with Reckless Attack itself. I feel like it is more about hopefully killing the thing you're attacking than it is painting a nice convenient target on your back. "hey guys, i just dropped my guard, bet you'd like to attack me! pay no mind to the wizard that got knocked prone!"

Last edited:

Remove ads