Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

Zardnaar

Legend
You could easily say much the same about the Lego films (and interestingly the director appears to be the director who did the amazing Lego Batman). Another example, incidentally, if a major studio sinking money into another companies intellectual property.

But, yes, generic fantasy is the brand: the ability to tell nearly endless generic fantasy stories in a family friendly manner. A Hollywood gold mine when finally tapped. The main fantasy franchise isn't GoT, but LotR, which is necessarily limited. A D&D cinematic universe could go on and on and on with no worry about "staying true to the original story."

Big difference.

1. Lego is a world wide phenomenon.
2. They have had ten years+of good to great game development.
3. Childhood memories going back generations.
4. Successful outside the USA (D&D is niche in USA, outside its a lot smaller).
5. Better managed IPs (no detested editions, no bad games, no major blunders).

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
BIg differnece.

1. Lego is a world wide phenomenon.
2. They have had ten years+of good to great game development.
3. Childhood memories going back generations.
4. Successful outside the USA (D&D is niche in USA, outside its a lot smaller).
5. Better managed IPs (no detested editions, no bad games, no major blunders).

Basically none of that is relevant to whether a decent movie can be made.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There are a million articles out there that argue CoC is the best RPG ever (only ever played CoC d20 myself, so I am not personally familiar). The game seems to be chugging along just fine after all these years. Just because something is old doesn't mean it is dated, if it's done right.
It’s really, really fiddly and horribly imbalanced. When it was designed, it was a far more accessible system than its competition, but by today’s standards it’s an overwrought mess. The only reason CoC is well-regarded where most games that use the BRP engine are forgotten is branding. A lot of people are familiar with Lovecraft, and people like what they’re familiar with. If it wasn’t for the title having “Cthulhu” in it, it would be just another not-D&D roleplaying game (or perhaps not-Vampire the Masquerade, given its genre).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It’s really, really fiddly and horribly imbalanced. When it was designed, it was a far more accessible system than its competition, but by today’s standards it’s an overwrought mess. The only reason CoC is well-regarded where most games that use the BRP engine are forgotten is branding. A lot of people are familiar with Lovecraft, and people like what they’re familiar with. If it wasn’t for the title having “Cthulhu” in it, it would be just another not-D&D roleplaying game (or perhaps not-Vampire the Masquerade, given its genre).

Runequest is still going, too: again, not really familiar with the system directly, but it does seem to have staying power.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Runequest is still going, too: again, not really familiar with the system directly, but it does seem to have staying power.

Yeah, but who's really playing it? I'd be willing to bet the significant majority are long-term fans, with very few newcomers. Not so with D&D, because it's willing to adapt as game design evolves. I would prefer if they were innovative rather than just adaptive, but I get it. Can't scare away the old guard or there's no one to bring the new guard in, which was 4e's real problem. But, what I would prefer doesn't really matter. Sticking with 5e's system for as long as they can is good business, at least in the short term.

Given 5E goes by Dungeons&Dragons, what are the chances we'll see an Advanced Dungeons&Dragons at some point as a way to build more complexity into the game for those that want it while remaining backwards compatible?

Oofta

Legend
Given 5E goes by Dungeons&Dragons, what are the chances we'll see an Advanced Dungeons&Dragons at some point as a way to build more complexity into the game for those that want it while remaining backwards compatible?

My guess would be slim and none. And slim just left town. If people really want more complexity they can find stuff on the dmsguild web site. But WOTC isn't losing that many people because of lack of complexity and it would primarily appeal to people who already play the game. So it wouldn't stop much loss, would only appeal to a (relatively small) part of the existing base of players.

Besides, ask 5 different people who want from AD&D what they would want and you'd probably get 5 different answers.

>>slim to none<<

I think you're probably, right the word 'advanced' can come across as both off putting (hard to learn) and elitist
Being open to new players seems to be a huge part of the current mindset.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Mearls has said their initial lan was to use the phrase "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" for the core rulebooks, as compared to the free Basic rules. But they found out in market testing that this confused people considerably, so the name is probably dead as a doornail.

schnee

First Post
That is my main point there is not much to hang an IP on except a name. Even Transformers had a basic storyline. So basically you are making a generic fantasy themed probably kiddie friendly movie where the prime example of a successful fantasy tie in (GOT) is adult themed and has an existing story to adapt. Drizzt is totally a no go for a bigscreen adaption but you could blend genres like an Isle of Dread backdrop perhaps.

The real problem is the best possible D&D movie has already been made.

It's Time Bandits.

Now, think of the protagonists. Instead of little people, imagine them as 1st level adventurers, Evil as a 20th level Wizard, and all the shenanigans and creatures they faced (Giants, Minotaurs, Robbers, Gladiators, Wretched Demons, Space ships, Cowboys) were the same stuff you saw in a typical kitchen sink D&D game in the 80's.

It wasn't about generic LOTR fantasy. It was hilarious stuff like falling through dimensions and time while being chased by angry floating heads, giants casually walking up from the bottom of the sea and carrying your boat away on it's head, and evil wizards casually blowing their toadying minions to bits in between witty repartee. Don't mention the final battle with spaceships and gunslingers all shooting at a Wizard who'w basically casting a shitload of spells and owning them all.

All due respect to Joe, but I think to be anywhere remotely in the spirit of the game, the D&D movie has to be a gory black comedy, involving an Oceans 11 style heist inside a dungeon, with a bunch of bumbling murder hobos who only do good against their instincts. Unfortunately, I think the time for movies like that, especially in the fantasy genre, has passed.

Remove ads