D&D 5E Players Self-Assigning Rolls

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
See, there is a key difference and it likely covers a lot of area too.

i don't see "the challenge is..." i see the scene.

I do not see this in my head as if it is a module for points and this is a "if this then xp" type puzzle.

this is another piece in my world that the players can interact with and we all can enjoy.

Specifically, if they choose to just give it a wide berth, thats fine. That may cost them.

How does this distinction serve you?

A challenge is something the PCs can win or lose and their interaction with said challenge creates a scene. The dramatic question of the challenge and thus the scene is "Can the characters retrieve the treasure from the cursed altar?" Once resolved, one way or another, the scene is done.

The DM, as the master of worlds and master of adventures, is tasked with presenting challenges. It's unclear to me why you wouldn't view this example of the altar as a challenge for the players.

5ekyu

Hero
You gave an example of 3 skill checks, all of them different only in the skill names. The results were largely similar -- vaguely interesting backstory about the altar and what it looks like and which cult might use it. None of which get to the challenge presented by the altar, which is get the treasure with a minimum of ouches.

So, yeah, they're all guessing skill checks hoping to find out what the actual challenge may be. So far, in your responses, you haven't given them any information on the actual challenge and instead have provided backstory and framing.

I thought I had made it clear already that all of the answers you provided for those guessed checks would have been provided for free and in the clear without a single check, and likely without a question, made. This is because I assume that Indiana Jones doesn't need to make a check to recognize an Aztec artifact -- he just knows. He needs to make a check to avoid the traps around the Aztec artifact, because that's the interesting bits. I treat my party like their competent and don't hide information behind 'guess the gate' skill checks.

Also, I'm going to clearly state the challenge -- the altar will be visibly pulsing with a not-light and a distinctly cold and greasy feel to the air near it. The party will know that the altar contains something they need already -- it's likely the reason they're here, after all. The challenge will be to identify what the altar will do and where the something is hidden inside the altar. Saying "I roll religion, got a 21!" is you guessing religion will tell you something useful, and now I have to guess what it is you think you're trying to find out. Maybe it's easy to guess, maybe it's not, I don't know (and we have a specific phenomenon of extremely strange and outlandish plans named after a member of my group -- if we say someone is pulling a Bob (name changed to protect the guilty), we all know exactly what that means -- they have a plan that could be described charitably as outlandishly weird).

And, sure, I can then engage in finding out what they want, but, if, after that, religion doesn't help because it doesn't provide any more information that was already provided at the outset (because, natch, I knew they were proficient in religion), then that's wasted time. Time that could have been avoided entirely by having them state their intention and goal ahead of time and then picking an appropriate check. If the goal is to look for clues to what the altar will do, and I know there are runes etched that power the ability, maybe the best check is an INT check to decipher them? And, maybe religion is an appropriate proficiency for that check? But so might arcana or history be. So, rather than dealing with three announced rolls from three players in three different ways, no one rolls until I've set an ability and consequence.

And I strongly believe there should be a consequence for every roll. In this case, I'd probably have a failed roll identify that the altar will react badly if the secret compartment is manipulated. This doesn't identify the energy type of the trap and falsely interprets the actual trigger mechanism, which is simply touching the altar. The next stated action may have very bad consequences because of this failed roll. And, best part, no one had to guess anything.

Ok so, as i stated in another post, i tend to structure my info intop different tiers and some of it is in the "just show up" side, some of it in the "make some typical choices and then some of it is in the "success and major success levels of "gating." The HAS TO KNOW for there to be a scene is in the first two tiers and the "HELPS TO KNOW stuff is in the second two. Depending on the risk level, it may be really really really bad idea to just muscle through with the first two tiers.

So, what i was describing to your was not "the extent" of the info from each but the type of info from each type of skill check.

And also, as described in another post, its not a challenge but a scene. The players and their characters help to shape what comes out of that scene and even to a notable degree (in my games) what is in it.

To be very explicit about this - unlike say a section in a pre-fab tourney module, a player's choices and his characters efforts and especially exceptional successes can wind up ADDING stuff to the encounter that was not previously there in my mind. Just like tere are some here who talk about adding a chance of failure if the players roll even if there was not one before, i do this the opposite way - allowing the player who works his character's skill and his narrative and the mechanics all together to get the chance to be rewarded with it.

One benefit of this is, it doesn't require me to do so much work at "balancing" their characters. See, actual balance comes from the instersection of challenge, gain and abilities and that puts a lot over on the GM to kind of watch if their stories feature enough of each character's abilities to play out close. But, if i see the ROLL as not only a PASS/FAIL CHALLENGE PASSER but alos a INSERTION ATTEMPT, then they can do some of that for me.

So, while for you a religion test might no be part of the CHALLENGE PATH for me it might be an opportunity to add in some relgion linked elements that can play a role and take the story or sidebars into a direction that leads to that sort of theme. Simplest would be that be recognizes some symbols from some trinkets that he can return to a nearby temple, helping them recognize the as beloniging to missing acolytes who have been gone without them knowing why.

The roll to me was an opportunity and a request to "see if my good-at is useful" even if it is not part of the preset CHALLNGE PATh you have pre-defined.

We build campaigns differently, that is for sure. i can see why you do not want to share the call for rolls with your players.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
As you're doing so do you ever say "yeah, that's awesome, let's go with that," out loud?

I'm hoping I'm not the only one.

Totally not. Usually I'm just prideful enough to pretend that's how it was all along, but sometimes (only sometimes, mind), I'm overcome by my appreciation and grudgingly get credit.

5ekyu

Hero
Yes, well, not one that supports your arguments, really. Pointing out that something you don't play has a feature that works in a way that isn't what your advocating is rarely a compelling argument.

Actually i was pointing out part of the influences that have lead me to view rolls as an opportunity.

I do NOT let players rolls allow them to flat out author a scene or with intent alter a scene element, that actually is done by story point expenditure.

I let player rolls influence me to flesh out an area of the scene even to the point of adding not just details but opportunities. Sometimes it will just be flavor that ties it together. maybe the religion roll found trinkets that a temple would reward them for... where as before i had it in my mind as "misc loot from bodies."

But, no, "stroke of luck" which is my rules term for player driven scene editing power is not tied to skill rolls as those are too unpredictable. those are fueled by story points which are given equally to all.

maybe you have missed the hand-in-hand-in-glove part which keeps narrative or story etc as part of the things put in balance, not mechanics uber alles?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Ok so, as i stated in another post, i tend to structure my info intop different tiers and some of it is in the "just show up" side, some of it in the "make some typical choices and then some of it is in the "success and major success levels of "gating." The HAS TO KNOW for there to be a scene is in the first two tiers and the "HELPS TO KNOW stuff is in the second two. Depending on the risk level, it may be really really really bad idea to just muscle through with the first two tiers.

So, what i was describing to your was not "the extent" of the info from each but the type of info from each type of skill check.

And also, as described in another post, its not a challenge but a scene. The players and their characters help to shape what comes out of that scene and even to a notable degree (in my games) what is in it.

To be very explicit about this - unlike say a section in a pre-fab tourney module, a player's choices and his characters efforts and especially exceptional successes can wind up ADDING stuff to the encounter that was not previously there in my mind. Just like tere are some here who talk about adding a chance of failure if the players roll even if there was not one before, i do this the opposite way - allowing the player who works his character's skill and his narrative and the mechanics all together to get the chance to be rewarded with it.

One benefit of this is, it doesn't require me to do so much work at "balancing" their characters. See, actual balance comes from the instersection of challenge, gain and abilities and that puts a lot over on the GM to kind of watch if their stories feature enough of each character's abilities to play out close. But, if i see the ROLL as not only a PASS/FAIL CHALLENGE PASSER but alos a INSERTION ATTEMPT, then they can do some of that for me.

So, while for you a religion test might no be part of the CHALLENGE PATH for me it might be an opportunity to add in some relgion linked elements that can play a role and take the story or sidebars into a direction that leads to that sort of theme. Simplest would be that be recognizes some symbols from some trinkets that he can return to a nearby temple, helping them recognize the as beloniging to missing acolytes who have been gone without them knowing why.

The roll to me was an opportunity and a request to "see if my good-at is useful" even if it is not part of the preset CHALLNGE PATh you have pre-defined.

We build campaigns differently, that is for sure. i can see why you do not want to share the call for rolls with your players.

No, you don't, you see the strawman characterization you've built. It has almost nothing to do with my game or why I've chosen to disallow calls for rolls.

Again, since you seem to be slow on the uptake here -- nothing I do limits my players from taking the actions they wish to take. They have as much freedom as your players. The only difference is that I actually ask them to state what actions they're taking and what they're looking to accomplish with those actions and not just drop dice and name a line on their character sheet. The former allows me to work with the player to achieve their goals -- goals that might also broaden the fiction that I originally placed. I dislike having to guess what approach my players mean by a roll result declaration.

So, if the players want to do whatever they can imagine to investigate the altar, they can do that. Depending on their approach, I may call for a roll, if I feel the outcome is both uncertain and has a price for failure. Otherwise, it succeeds or fails based on what my players declare, not some hidden desire of mine or a fixed set of immutable gates that they must guess the right actions to pass.

As for scenes, again, I fail to even grasp the point of a scene being set that doesn't have some kind of challenge. Given I said the altar was 1) dangerous to touch and 2) had treasure hidden in it, what would you call that? I call it a challenge -- can you get the goodies without the ouches. If my players are uninterested and decide to wander off, great, no skin off my back, we move the the next scene (in this dungeon concept, the next room). They can come back or whatever. If one of my players comes up with a goal and approach that's way cooler than what I had imagined (and this certainly happens), then I'll adapt the scene to allow the cool. I do this quite often. Most of my scenes are written as vague as possible to allow for easy manipulation of the fiction to allow cool player declarations. Literally, the example i gave for the altar is just about the totality of what I might prep for that challenge -- that there's a danger, what it is, and and rewards. So, an altar that explodes in negative energy when touched that has a nice goodie hidden inside. The owners of the alter would have been determined in earlier play by player interest and the goodie would likewise have been determined by earlier play as something the players want to go get. If these things aren't tied to things my players care about, we'd be doing something different.

And, to be clear, right now I'm running a sandbox game, so there are lots of things already loosely set, but everything being played is because the players want to do that thing, not because I've pre-written some stuff. I have no plot for my game, right now, because we're only a few sessions in and the players haven't developed one yet. They'll do that by their choices and the consequences thereof. I have a few setting themes that are guiding play right now and will remain, but I don't have reasons solidly in place for why those themes exist -- we'll find out in play, if they players care, too.

So, no, you don't understand why I play the way I do. You have it very wrong. I play the way I do because I got tired of guessing all the time and the frustration of a failed roll preventing things that shouldn't have been behind rolls to begin with. Oh, and pointless rolling, like all of the rolling you've discussed about the altar. As far as the game I run, it's very open to player desires and declarations. I enable a broader range of things now than I used to when I expected players to call out what skills they were using instead of telling me what they want to accomplish and how they're plan to do that.

Again, you're welcome to play the way you want to. I'm excited and happy there's more than one way to play this shared hobby of mine, because that means I have more to learn about it. I have room to improve. But, I would ask that you stop trying to assume why I do things, especially when I haven't been at all shy about telling you.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Actually i was pointing out part of the influences that have lead me to view rolls as an opportunity.

I do NOT let players rolls allow them to flat out author a scene or with intent alter a scene element, that actually is done by story point expenditure.

I let player rolls influence me to flesh out an area of the scene even to the point of adding not just details but opportunities. Sometimes it will just be flavor that ties it together. maybe the religion roll found trinkets that a temple would reward them for... where as before i had it in my mind as "misc loot from bodies."

But, no, "stroke of luck" which is my rules term for player driven scene editing power is not tied to skill rolls as those are too unpredictable. those are fueled by story points which are given equally to all.
That's not how those systems work, but if you got something positive from it, good for you.

maybe you have missed the hand-in-hand-in-glove part which keeps narrative or story etc as part of the things put in balance, not mechanics uber alles?
I actually don't think I'm the one making the mistake here.

5ekyu

Hero
How does this distinction serve you?

A challenge is something the PCs can win or lose and their interaction with said challenge creates a scene. The dramatic question of the challenge and thus the scene is "Can the characters retrieve the treasure from the cursed altar?" Once resolved, one way or another, the scene is done.

The DM, as the master of worlds and master of adventures, is tasked with presenting challenges. It's unclear to me why you wouldn't view this example of the altar as a challenge for the players.

The line in the brief excerpt i provided that this was addressing was this
"Rather than dance around answering random skill checks with information about the alter that doesn't get at the actual challenge, I'm just going to provide that information for free and openly and only have checks for things that engage the challenge of the altar."

the distinction between seeing the challenge and only having mechanics and checks play a role in that laser focused "path to the challenge" and my approach is my approach lets the scene become more than a challenge, more than "the challenge" and much more a thing the player's help bring manifest.

Sure, they can show up and stay on point and do the challenge and leave and limit themselves to "the challenge path" but they also can get a lot more out of it than that especially if i view it as not "the challenge" or "my challenge" but as "our scene".

just like there is a difference between me as "master of adventures" or "master of worlds" and me as "one part of a shared world and shared adventures."

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
The line in the brief excerpt i provided that this was addressing was this
"Rather than dance around answering random skill checks with information about the alter that doesn't get at the actual challenge, I'm just going to provide that information for free and openly and only have checks for things that engage the challenge of the altar."

the distinction between seeing the challenge and only having mechanics and checks play a role in that laser focused "path to the challenge" and my approach is my approach lets the scene become more than a challenge, more than "the challenge" and much more a thing the player's help bring manifest.

Sure, they can show up and stay on point and do the challenge and leave and limit themselves to "the challenge path" but they also can get a lot more out of it than that especially if i view it as not "the challenge" or "my challenge" but as "our scene".

just like there is a difference between me as "master of adventures" or "master of worlds" and me as "one part of a shared world and shared adventures."

Do you believe that when I'm presenting this altar challenge to my players and running the game as I believe it is intended that it's somehow not "our scene?" Because we are creating that scene together even if it's me who created the challenge.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm apparently not the only one who notices that games where players asking to make or making unprompted rolls often have players failing to state a clear goal and approach. Regardless of whether there is causation, it appears to be a fairly common thing in our hobby, even in some popular vodcasts. Again, I'm only pointing that out as an observation, not a conclusion that players making unprompted rolls necessarily results in a curtailment of stating a goal and approach or vice versa.

You can add me to that list. Even if a player rolls the die in advance, or just says, "I want to make an investigate check", I won't proceed without asking why and/or how they go about it. I found it as frustrating as [MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] did. At this point my players rarely toss dice or just say they want to make a check. They've learned that they are going to have to describe their goal and approach anyway.

Remove ads