D&D 5E Sell 5th edition to a 4th edition fan...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please tell me we're wrong. Explain to me why we don't see the 5th edition in the right way, what we can find satisfactory, keeping in mind what we loved about 4th edition.

Again, my point is not to start a troll fight about editions. Real genuine concern about the eventual inevitability of switching editions.

Thanks!

It was inevitable that there was going to be unhelpful threadcrapping and edition-warring when you invoked 4e, but good effort nonetheless.

My advice would be to stay with 4e if your players understood what its built to do, understood how to get the most out of it or flex it to your needs, and are enjoying your 4e game for what it uniquely does that none of the other editions (low GM prep, tightly balanced, high-octane, big damn hero, thematic and tactical action/adventure at the scene-based level - rather than the adventuring day), including 5e, can support.

Conversely, if your players loved AD&D and are interested in the prospects of a better (in almost all ways except for perhaps the saving throw paradigm), modernized version of it (an AD&D 3e), then they should give 5e a go.

Eric V

Hero
I found even our upper Heroic level fights took a while, but once we hit 18th level, they were monstrously long. Did you guys make any alterations to shorten them?

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I'm sure that's nice for you, but the OP was pretty clear that they were looking for advice from people who liked 4e. Threadcrapping like this just has the potential to degenerate into edition wars. Posting about how much you dislike 4e in a thread about how 5e might be received by a 4e fan isn't welcome, so please don't.

Thanks
Actually, my comment is relevant to the conversation because it is about roles. You have managed to turn my comment into something it wasn't ment to be. I found 4th edition's emphasis on roles to be a constraint while 5th edition's less emphasis better. The OP is obviously looking for reasons to play 5th edition and what I have said is one of those reasons.

Cheers.

Vael

Legend
Weirdest thing -- when I played 4E, we never had that. We'd get in 2 or 3 combats per 4 hour session, and get plenty of roleplay opportunities in, besides. Even back when I was playtesting 4E 6 years ago, my combats from first to 10th level (my range) lasted 30 to 45 minutes, tops. However, I have heard combats above that level range taking longer. I don't think I ever ran a 4E game above 10th level.

Players are getting a lot more tricks at Paragon and Epic Tier. I really notice it at 11th level, because most characters now have abilities that trigger off an action point. So the use of action points really lets things bog down, because an action point doesn't just mean one more action, it generally triggers a host of stuff.

Our core campaign only made it to 17th level, but we played an Epic one-shot. Combat took time. Now, it was probably more frustrating for our DM than for the players. I was having a blast, my Swordmage could mark practically the entire battlefield.

But even my 17th level Bard was often taking a fair amount of time resolving turns (and I know I did my best to resolve the turn quickly), because I would be enabling an ally to attack, moving minis across the board like a chessmaster and generally causing havoc. It's a lot of fun, but it is also time-intensive.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Henry said:
I also have a suspicion, based on that WotC research study back in 1998, that a fair amount of 1E and 2E players engaged in "theater of the mind" style play, with very little spatial representation (I know my groups ALWAYS used minis in some fashion) so the questions of "stickiness" or Op attacks may not have come up as often for some people. Perhaps it's actually having every edition laying it on the table in some fashion almost manditorily in the past 15 years made people sit up and take notice? All speculation on my part.

I think the idea that the emphasis on minis supported a playstyle that showed more clearly the ability to run past the front line certainly could've helped "stickiness" become more of a requirement. It'll be interesting to see if the folks who start/re-start with 5e have actual problems in play with it or not.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Players are getting a lot more tricks at Paragon and Epic Tier. I really notice it at 11th level, because most characters now have abilities that trigger off an action point. So the use of action points really lets things bog down, because an action point doesn't just mean one more action, it generally triggers a host of stuff.

Our core campaign only made it to 17th level, but we played an Epic one-shot. Combat took time. Now, it was probably more frustrating for our DM than for the players. I was having a blast, my Swordmage could mark practically the entire battlefield.

But even my 17th level Bard was often taking a fair amount of time resolving turns (and I know I did my best to resolve the turn quickly), because I would be enabling an ally to attack, moving minis across the board like a chessmaster and generally causing havoc. It's a lot of fun, but it is also time-intensive.

The time intensive combats are something I did not like and I'm glad this edition moved away from that. The other thing that really bogged things down were all the situational modifiers that would pop up during combat.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Actually, my comment is relevant to the conversation because it is about roles. You have managed to turn my comment into something it wasn't ment to be. I found 4th edition's emphasis on roles to be a constraint while 5th edition's less emphasis better. The OP is obviously looking for reasons to play 5th edition and what I have said is one of those reasons.

Cheers.

If you want to reply to moderation, do not do it in the thread. See the rules for more info.

[MENTION=158]Henry[/MENTION], the problem with using the Withdraw option was that it put you on the wrong side of the fighter, having not attacked (and that assuming there were no walls in the way). Yes, next turn it might enable you to loop round past the fighter - but that's a very different matter from pressing on past the fighter - and still attacking the mage that turn. (Agreed on the Spiky Chains).

Two things kind of dovetail to make it a bigger issue with more recent editions than it was before.

The first is monster survivability. In 3e and 4e, one hit is no longer the difference between a living monster and a dead one anymore. This means that "opportunity attacks" for getting out of melee are less punishing (unless specifically ramped up like a defender's is).

The second is combat mobility. It was pretty fine up until 4e to stand in one place and trade blows with the monsters for the few turns it might've taken you to kill them. After 4e, things move around a lot. And the moving around isn't punished.

5e retains the mobility (move-attack-move!), but ramps up the vulnerability of most monsters. In general, this helps the goal of faster combats (monsters that can survive 3 hits are faster to go through than monsters that can survive 6), but this ALSO helps the defender retain their teeth so that one hit from a Fighter (especially one who tosses a couple dice onto the damage) is nothing to be sniffed at. It would be a little like if, instead of stopping movement, a 4e fighter just did striker damage with OA's. That's still a HUGE disincentive to move, and it doesn't rely on grid positioning and fiddly movement as much.

4e's defender philosophy (as embodied in the fighter) was "I won't let you escape." It was controller-y, negating actions. 5e's defender philosophy (as embodied in the same place) is "If you move, you die." It's striker-y, killing things faster. Which does make it less obvious when you're just looking at the RAW.

Part of what I like about that, as a player and a DM, is that action negation is SUPER BORING in play. Saying "you can't do what you try to do" is part of grind, it turns forward momentum into nothingness, a waste of time to process through, it screws with character authority, and all it does is make the action more stilted and less dynamic. However, with the "you do it and you die" mentality, the game moves forward even if the action is denied. There is a consequence that isn't just "you can't do it" that moves the action toward resolution. It is a little bit like "fail forward" design -- even if the hobgoblin who tries to get to the back ranks takes a hit and doesn't die, you're a LOT closer to ending the combat after that hit than you would be otherwise.

5e's got a lot of sophisticated juice beneath its simple-looking chassis.

I have several disagreements here.

First, 5e hit points are ramped up over AD&D or 3e. As I mentioned a CR 1/2 Orc has 15hp. In 3.5 a CR 1/2 Orc had 5. CR2 Ogre: 59hp. 3.5 CR3 Ogre 29hp CR3 Minotaur: 76hp. 3.5 CR4 Minotaur: 39hp. CR8 Hydra 172hp. 9 Headed (CR8) 3.5 Hydra: 97hp. CR9 Fire Giant 172hp. 3.5 CR10 Fire Giant: 142hp. And CR means approximately the same thing betweem 3.5 and 5e (CR1 is 200XP - which is also the Medium XP value for 4 1st level PCs). I'm aware that it's not all the same way - and e.g. the Adult Red Dragon has more hp in 3.5.

I also don't see the argument that fighter DPR or even damage per attack in 5e is significantly higher than in 3.5. And you're still restricted to the single reaction per turn which means that you can't even stop a pack of goblins.

As for doing striker level damage to monsters on AoOs, some classes in 4e did that (notably the Slayer). On its own it wasn't normally enough partly because the 5ft Step/Shift/Withdraw options exist; one of the key Defender things was getting to hit people for attempting to withdraw rather than just for attempting to move, and another was for attempting to hit someone else in the battle line. (I do agree that the 4e PHB fighter could be overkill - which is why it was the stickiest defender in the game even if the only thing it by default cancelled was moving without shifting).

4e's defender philosophy (as embodied in the fighter) was "I won't let you escape." It was controller-y, negating actions. 5e's defender philosophy (as embodied in the same place) is "If you move, you die." It's striker-y, killing things faster. Which does make it less obvious when you're just looking at the RAW.

Just wanted to comment on this right quick as it misses a fair bit of nuance in 4e defending (I'll use the Fighter since it was invoked as the exemplar).

4e Fighter had the basic OA rules (you must spend a move action to shift if you want to get out of melee with someone and not eat an OA) that complemented their suite of abilities (including the controller component you mentioned, but also the striker component you listed for 5e) that made up a defending niche that:

1) A mark that imposed a - 2 to attack anyone but the fighter and provoked an OA if you did so and/or even if you shifted.

2) Allowed for the control of multiple enemies at once by a large number of multi-attack abilities and utilities that would apply the Fighter's mark

3) BA and OA augmenting abilities that amped Fighters up to just under Striker level damage normally, which would then surpass striker-level damage if enemies violated their marks.

4) Another feature that worked with all of these things to prevent enemies from moving away from the fighter and pursuing a softer target (which would still eat the - 2 to attack if they did so).

5) A large number of skirmishing abilities that let them move all of the battlefield and engage enemies as needed.

In total, a base, out-of-the-box Fighter (without any feats) is a skirmisher, a damage-dealing machine (surpassing leaders/controllers/other defenders), a melee controller or striker level damage-dealer (GM's catch-22 choice), and a damage absorbing tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads