Character Problem

delericho

Legend
We had some new players join our group this week. Whenever this happens there's a "fitting in" period, a time when the player gets to see what works with the group, and the group evaluates the new players.

In our game, because practically everyone's a DM at some point or another, it can be even rougher to manage. Things I find acceptable might ruffle the feathers of someone else.

If you have multiple DMs running the same campaign, then those DMs really need to get together and come to a consensus on what is and is not acceptable. Otherwise, you're storing up problems for later down the road... as in fact you are now seeing.

As regards the particular PC: yeah, it's not rules-legal for many reasons. And there's no way that character would get anywhere near my game. However, whether or not it's acceptable in your game is really one for you and your co-DMs to sort out.

S'mon

Legend
I'm seeing red flashing lights and hearing klaxons blaring. WARNING BAD PLAYER WARNING WARNING!!!!

This guy sounds like REALLY BAD NEWS.

One of the PCs is a Half Vampire Cleric/Sorcerer/True Necromancer who has taken a Vow of Poverty, and has a Ghostly Visage (Fiend Folio, I think) as his familiar.

I noticed immediately that his weapon was a Lucern Hammer, Adamantine and Dark Metal alloy. His clothing is silk. I think that violates the Vow of Poverty. He said it was okay. I looked it up and he's allowed simple weapons, non-magic and non-masterworked. Clothing should be simple, such as home spun robes. So I think we need to talk.

Wait. Wait. Guarantee he also wears sunglasses indoors, yes?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I'd like to add, on a more positive note, than it seems your player has a really neat character concept, but it's poorly executed. I want to second what [MENTION=78958]Empirate[/MENTION] said about sitting with him about his character concept, and find out if there's a smoother way to build what he wants.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I agree with [MENTION=22424]delericho[/MENTION] in post #11 (not post #12 :p). The peculiarities of your group require this be a group discussion.

Personally, I think I'd look to reflavoring Vow of Poverty. Perhaps his character made a deal with a kami that offered him this power in return for other, more fitting restrictions on his character?

Neat character concept? More like ripped off character concept (Hellsing? Was that the one?)...

Can any character concept be considered unique anymore?

Ryujin

Legend
Given some of the other things that I've seen done in 3.0, the Vow of Poverty isn't all that bad. With that said the Book of Exalted Deeds is a 3.0 book, not a 3.5 book, so toss it right out if you're playing 3.5. I briefly played a fighter with Vow of Poverty and if you don't stick to the letter of the law with it, it has big potential to be abused. That's the trick though; sticking to the letter. It is a vow, after all, and it's gone if broken. If he's using something much more complex/expensive than a quarterstaff, then he's likely already broken his vow.

Playing that sort of character takes someone who really wants to play that sort of character. Think Kwai Chang Caine from the original "Kung Fu" TV show, back in the '70s. He wandered the American Old West with some simple clothes, a hat, a bedroll, and a bamboo flute. Forget the rest of this character's build. If he doesn't fit that basic feel, then the character shouldn't be.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I would say that if you, as a GM, don't have access to a rulebook that a player is using then you don't allow them to use it without them bring an actual physical copy to the table to show you. This will allow you to go through their character (as you need to do) and check this kind of thing.

Personally, if someone brought something like this to a game I was running I would think quite poorly of them. I cannot see this as anything other than rabid powergaming, although I'm not sure to what end.

And yes, the Lucern Hammer is not a simple weapon. It cannot be used with the Vow of Poverty.

Remove ads