The Monetization of D&D Play

I have had one game store that charged a minimal rental fee for the back room. Other than that I never encountered a store charging.

I do not like the idea of paid DMs, although I know they exist. To me it implies that DMing is a service, rather than another participant in a social event. I've heard the arguement that DMing is a huge time investment, but the extra time a DM spends on prep is a fun part of the hobby, not a prelude to billable labor.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the concept of stores charging for use of their space, albeit I feel it would be a poor business model for them to charge too much. However, on the flip side of that same coin, if you play in a gaming space regularly you should support the store through making purchases of any variety, if not every time them regularly enough; they do have bills to pay to keep in business.

As for the subject of professional DM's, it is a much more nuanced subject which one could make a few arguments for or against it. In *most* cases, I share your opinion in that a DM should ideally be running the game because he wants to run it for fun and for free, and I will run as many games as I can for free.

However two things to consider for the pro-DM argument:
1) Supply and demand are a fact of life. There will always be too few DMs for every player. Not every player can DM even if they are willing, and many don't want to. This creates a disparity where some players (or potential players) either don't play because they can't find a spot, or give up trying to play entirely because they can't find a DM. Some of these people who are unable to find groups have and are willing to spend a reasonable amount in order to get the chance to play where they would otherwise not be able to.

2) From the DM perspective, the money may represent not a service but time. I love D&D. I love running D&D and I will run as many games as I can, yet even running three games a week I regularly turn away players who would love to join in. However, between other hobbies, family/friends, eating, sleeping, and working in order to pay bills and provide for the above I can only reasonable run so many games a week. This amount varies person to person, but it's a fact their are only so many hours each day. The idea is that in order to enable one to run more games something else must be cut in order to run another game and thus allow more players to play the game. Offering to pay a DM for their time let's them run additional games, be it because they are incentivized to cut out some time from another hobby, or ideally let's them work less freeing up more time to play D&D.

If I could spend my full work hours running high quality games for more players I'd do it in a heartbeat, not because I want money, but because it let's me share the hobby but it let's me with as many as I can and it let's me help grow the hobby in general. Unfortunately it's a risky business model that I don't think I'd enjoy doing as actual work. For others? Let them do it. :)

It seems this topic comes up every so often.

I find it odd.

A store has to pay rent. I think if youre going to spend hours there its only fair to pay a part of the electricity, rent and other costs. Provided it's a fair price of course.

Paying the dm? Thats a different story. Not sure about that, as when i run games i do it because i enjoy it. And i doubt anyone would pay me enough to really make it a viable source of income. However i think paying for a moduke a dm is going to run for you is a nice gesture, or other gifts.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
It could be, if you join us in supporting fair wages for DMs. :)

If DM's get paid for their time spent on D&D then players should get paid for their time spent as well. You can't have a D&D game without both.

Absolutely. And you're giving me the strong impression that you don't think they should.

In general they shouldn't. I do not think DM's are entitled to any money for being a DM nor do I want them to ever think that they are. That said, if a DM can find paying gigs to DM then more power to him. It's just that should not ever be the default method of finding a DM.

We should be doing both.

Not at all. I don't think DM's should get paid (at least not in the general sense). A friendly gift as a token of gratitude maybe, but not paid. However, I'm not against a DM that does find people that will pay for him to DM for them. I think that should typically be a 1 off situation though.

So many examples comparing paying a DM to watching a movie. Just not really the same.

D&D is a game, usually played by a group of friends. When you get together to play Risk at someone’s house, you are not going to pay them.

If a store charges for table space, that is a different thing entirely. They can even pay DM’s if they want as stores need traffic to sell items and make a profit and if a DM drives that traffic then it is a business.

If you want to pay someone to DM, that is your choice. However, it is not standard and convoluted examples using bad examples does not make it so.

Daniel Walker

First Post
I am a DM. However, I would never run an AL adventure because I don't like them. I prefer to create my own campaigns and I absolutely do not charge people to play. My FLGS does not charge to play there, but I tend to purchase things from there as that seems fair. I have been in DnD since the 80's and really enjoy playing the game and creating my own adventures. That being said, a business is a business and if stores want to "hire" dm's that seems fine to me. A personally gifted drink from a player is fine but again, I much prefer allowing players to play without charging them for it.

In general they shouldn't. I do not think DM's are entitled to any money for being a DM nor do I want them to ever think that they are. That said, if a DM can find paying gigs to DM then more power to him. It's just that should not ever be the default method of finding a DM.

Not at all. I don't think DM's should get paid (at least not in the general sense). A friendly gift as a token of gratitude maybe, but not paid. However, I'm not against a DM that does find people that will pay for him to DM for them. I think that should typically be a 1 off situation though.
Your position seems to be heading down a dark path, and advocating that entertainers should only be paid the merest gratuity for their work. So, we're going to have to agree to disagree.
So many examples comparing paying a DM to watching a movie. Just not really the same.
More like an Event Coordinator - the kind of person who sets up entertaining experiences like white water rafting for their customers to participate in. Or someone who runs a Summer Camp - creating a series of events to make the time spent there fun for the kids.

FrogReaver

Your position seems to be heading down a dark path, and advocating that entertainers should only be paid the merest gratuity for their work. So, we're going to have to agree to disagree.
More like an Event Coordinator - the kind of person who sets up entertaining experiences like white water rafting for their customers to participate in. Or someone who runs a Summer Camp - creating a series of events to make the time spent there fun for the kids.

Your position is the one heading down a dark path.

aco175

Legend
My home group thought about collecting a buck or two each week to pay for new games, but it never took off. The idea was to take some of the cost off the DM who tends to buy more of the material over the players who tend to stop after the PHB and some dice.

FrogReaver

My home group thought about collecting a buck or two each week to pay for new games, but it never took off. The idea was to take some of the cost off the DM who tends to buy more of the material over the players who tend to stop after the PHB and some dice.

Sharing the cost of group resources is a great example of something that can be and maybe should be done more often but isn't. That said, custody battles if the group ever splits up can be a bit difficult. But I wouldn't consider collecting money to purchase group resources a form of "pay".

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases