The Blood War: Part of Mordenkainen's Contents Page

Very interesting! Although I would rather have seen some of the table of contents concerning the Bestiary, this is quite intriguing as well!

Very interesting! Although I would rather have seen some of the table of contents concerning the Bestiary, this is quite intriguing as well!

Li Shenron

Legend
Don't expect too much in quantitative terms, or you'll be underwhelmed. I think people made that mistake when estimating the amount of monsters in Volo's. WotC is rather fond of cutting stuff that doesn't convince them qualitatively. And then we should probably count 20 pages of the book reserved for tables with random planar location names in multiple languages.

Most of the stuff seen in a bunch of UA articles will be there, but not all. I think somewhere they already said which elven subraces, and they don't include wild elves and winged elves.

Li Shenron

Legend
One thing that strikes me as odd is the inclusion of the chapter on Halflings and Gnomes. Can someone explain how does it fit into a book about great conflicts? I didn't think those two were part of any.

One thing that strikes me as odd is the inclusion of the chapter on Halflings and Gnomes. Can someone explain how does it fit into a book about great conflicts? I didn't think those two were part of any.

Thats the reason they were included. They are an aberration among pretty much all races in that they have never really been involved in any great conflicts.

Gnomes are secretly multi-planar schemers who are responsible for manipulating many races into all the great conflicts: the Blood War, the elves, the Gith, all of them.

Halflings are the only ones who have figured it out, and the gnomes pay them--mostly in food and beer--to keep their mouths shut.

Do we even need any others.

Mezzoloth, Dergholoth, Canoloth, Marraenoloth, Piscoloth, Yagnoloth are pretty much all we need for the Lesser Yugoloths. (I say just boot the Hydroloth, We have enough Frog/Toad Monsters in the game and the Hezrou already fills the role of a fiendish one.)

We already have the Nycaloth, Arcanaloth and Ultroloth so the only greater we are missing is the Baernaloth which does not appear to be in this book. Though I would like a Greater Ultroloth stronger then the standard one in the monster manual maybe around CR 18, to show how Ultroloths vary in power, from slightly stronger then the other greater Yugoloths, to rivals to Pit Fiends and Balors.

An Altraloth like Anthraxus would be cool too.

Well, you basically sum up my feelings (other than your introductory "Do we even need any others." :D) The ones I listed are, like you said, the ones that should hopefully make even the minimum cut - those five are either the three known to be in, or two that have appeared in pretty much every previous edition and thus are more or less "traditional" yugoloths. My "hopefully more" was that it would be nice, but not necessary, to get the others. I do agree that we need to see some sort of higher-level yugoloths - either baernaloths by a different name or something similar. And either Anthraxus or the General of Gehenna (although historically they have tried to keep the General something of a mystery) would make a nice counterpart to the various demon princes and archdevils also appearing in the book.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't expect too much in quantitative terms, or you'll be underwhelmed. I think people made that mistake when estimating the amount of monsters in Volo's. WotC is rather fond of cutting stuff that doesn't convince them qualitatively. And then we should probably count 20 pages of the book reserved for tables with random planar location names in multiple languages.

Most of the stuff seen in a bunch of UA articles will be there, but not all. I think somewhere they already said which elven subraces, and they don't include wild elves and winged elves.

There are two bits of evidence that we will be seeing a good amount of monsters in the book.

The first is that the Roll 20 preview mentions "over 230 monsters" from the book. Now we do know from their version of Volo's that they include variants in their counts, but even then it didn't significantly inflate the numbers over Volo's. So, given that evidence, it seems that we'll see somewhat, but not significantly, less than 230 monsters in the book.

The second is that the Fantasy Grounds preview showed the first page of all six chapters that we already knew of (The Blood War, Elves, Dwarves and Duergar, Gith and their Endless War, Gnomes and Halflings, and the Bestiary), but nothing further. This does seem to strongly indicate there isn't an unknown chapter after the Bestiary; at most a small appendix or two, if even that. Given that we know the Bestiary chapter starts not much before page 117, that the monster stat blocks have only reached partway through the "D" monsters by page 177, and that book has a total of 256 pages, that does seem to point to the Bestiary chapter being 130 - 140 pages long, which will, despite having a fair number of two-page named fiend entries, inevitably contain a pretty significant number of monster stat blocks...

gyor

Legend

The truth is they wanted to cover all the PHB races except humans and dragonborn (likely saving Dragonborn for a Dramonicon style book and half orcs (half orcs benifit from VGTM instead).

gyor

Legend
We're finally getting Dark Halflings! :cool:

Ghostwise Halflings are kind of the Dark Halflings, but ones that atoned for what they did so hard that some how it made them telepathic. These are the one race of Halflings that I wouldn't find boring to play.

The truth Dark Halflings, perhaps so evil even the Drow find them distrurbing are Jerren to survive brutal wars against goblinoids they turned to dark magic and commiting atrosities so vile even the gobliniods were disguisted.

Maybe the Jerren and Ghostwise were tge sane race once with the Ghostwise atoning, and the Jerren staying evil.

Remove ads

Remove ads