D&D 5E Should the Fighter's "Second Wind" ability grant temporary HP instead of regular HP?

Should "Second Wind" grant temporary HP instead of HP?

• Yes.

Votes: 58 23.0%
  • No.

Votes: 118 46.8%
  • I'm not bothered either way.

Votes: 76 30.2%

WotC_Trevor

First Post
The next big discussion is going to be on the spamming of Second Wind out of combat ...

I don't like relying on random encounters that the live podcast discussed (sorry my group has never gotten excited about a random encounter) but, I dislike rules lawyering so I will just HR it with something about you using it during a strenuous activity such as combat.

We basically had that discussion. This can be handled in two easy ways. One, the DM says "Hey, don't do that. It's cheesy." Which is my personal approach. The intent is that this is a fighter's second wind using the colloquial term, not the fighter mechanic name), shrugging off injuries in the midst of the action. Someone trying to use while I'm DMing outside of that context gets an eyeroll and a quick ask that they not try to do that again.

But for those who want something more firm, there are options in the DMG that will change how healing works, so I assume one or more of those will touch on how Second Wind for fighters works.

It's really important to note that there's all sorts of bits and nobs in this version of D&D to make it your own, to run the game at your table the way you want to. The way you play isn't wrong as long as you and your table are having fun, and the rules we've put together support that. Yes, some things are assumed for the base game either because it was straight forward, a defining feature of D&D, and/or because we had great feedback on a particular rule or feature during the playtest. But if you don't like something that's in the core of the game, the tools are there for you to change it so you can have the experience you want. That was the whole point, and I think the team has done an amazing job of combining that mix of basic rules, adjustable complexity and modular options so that people can make the game or campaign they want to play.

Melkor

Explorer
Thanks for the response Trevor.

Two guys in my longtime D&D group (started with Basic/AD&D in the mid-eighties) really took issue with healing surges in 4E, and have done the same with the fundamentals behind D&D 5th after seeing the Fighter sample character sheet from the Starter Set.

That said, they were fairly sure that even if slower healing were an option in the DMG, there would be no substitution offered to replace the fighter feature for Second Wind with something equally valuable, so I am happy that I can point them towards this post and a potential DMG 'fix' that is suited to their tastes.

DDNFan

Banned
Banned
We basically had that discussion. This can be handled in two easy ways. One, the DM says "Hey, don't do that. It's cheesy." Which is my personal approach. The intent is that this is a fighter's second wind using the colloquial term, not the fighter mechanic name), shrugging off injuries in the midst of the action. Someone trying to use while I'm DMing outside of that context gets an eyeroll and a quick ask that they not try to do that again.

But for those who want something more firm, there are options in the DMG that will change how healing works, so I assume one or more of those will touch on how Second Wind for fighters works.

It's really important to note that there's all sorts of bits and nobs in this version of D&D to make it your own, to run the game at your table the way you want to. The way you play isn't wrong as long as you and your table are having fun, and the rules we've put together support that. Yes, some things are assumed for the base game either because it was straight forward, a defining feature of D&D, and/or because we had great feedback on a particular rule or feature during the playtest. But if you don't like something that's in the core of the game, the tools are there for you to change it so you can have the experience you want. That was the whole point, and I think the team has done an amazing job of combining that mix of basic rules, adjustable complexity and modular options so that people can make the game or campaign they want to play.

Tremendously good, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
Given the lack of Healing Surges and second wind being only a Fighter class feature, there hasn't really been a 4E healing expectation established at all as far as I can tell.
According to the final playtest "You must have at least 1 hit point to take a long rest. At the end of the rest, you regain all your hit points and half of your maximum number of Hit Dice (round up)."

The half HD self healing every day is way too much for my taste.
The all your HP is off the charts.

Again, this is purely my taste. No implication on anyone else's taste is stated or implied.
There are a lot of others things that look very positive about 5E.
I was (as stated) optimistic that I could fix this problem. I am somewhat more optimistic now. It still remains to be proven that the system will hold up as a "best in class" with this change. But I'm assuming yes until proven otherwise.

Chaltab

Explorer
According to the final playtest "You must have at least 1 hit point to take a long rest. At the end of the rest, you regain all your hit points and half of your maximum number of Hit Dice (round up)."

The half HD self healing every day is way too much for my taste.
The all your HP is off the charts.

Again, this is purely my taste. No implication on anyone else's taste is stated or implied.
There are a lot of others things that look very positive about 5E.
I was (as stated) optimistic that I could fix this problem. I am somewhat more optimistic now. It still remains to be proven that the system will hold up as a "best in class" with this change. But I'm assuming yes until proven otherwise.
Right, just saying it's not exactly 4E expectations either. In 4E you have a lot more HP and a lot more options to recover it, but it's also generally expected that monsters will do a lot more damage, especially with their Recharge and Encounter powers. It seems like with so much less HP, D&DN characters will need less healing in the first place.

pemerton

Legend
They just mentioned in one their opening of the starter box set live podcast that DMG will have options for this.. including a wounds vitality type system from D20 Star Wars!
As came out in the other thread, I'm an Australian (and hence am familiar with monotremes).

This also means I'm in the British as well as (maybe more than) the American cultural orbit. And so I know that wounds/vitality was published by Roger Musson in White Dwarf nearly 35 years ago - the article was called "How to Lose Hit Points and Survive". His system is different from WotC's in a few ways. For instance, wounds are dealt if the to hit roll is N greater than needed, with N increasing as a character gains levels (I think the suggestion is that N starts at 4 and steps up by 1 with each boost in attack chance); and a character who has only 3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 CON left cannot have more than that many hp left, and also has a % chance - from memory, 5%, 10% or 15% - of suffering a mortal wound which is fatal in 1d12 rounds. (A mortal wound can be healed with a Cure Serious Wounds or better spell - if using the Unearthed Arcana spells lists, Death's Door would also be a good spell for this.)

Just wanting to make sure that credit is given where it is due.

Remove ads