D&D 5E Should the Fighter's "Second Wind" ability grant temporary HP instead of regular HP?

Should "Second Wind" grant temporary HP instead of HP?

• Yes.

Votes: 58 23.0%
  • No.

Votes: 118 46.8%
  • I'm not bothered either way.

Votes: 76 30.2%

BryonD

Hero
Slight tangent question: I've seen several comments that clearly state options will exist for emulating other editions of the game. Has anything come out stating that a pre-4E healing expectation will exist? Details would be great, but even just a direct reference to the specific comment would be nice.

Thanks

am181d

Adventurer
Slight tangent question: I've seen several comments that clearly state options will exist for emulating other editions of the game. Has anything come out stating that a pre-4E healing expectation will exist? Details would be great, but even just a direct reference to the specific comment would be nice.

What the heck is a pre-4e healing expectation? I recall people having these arguments around hit points as far back as the mid-80s at least.

If you just mean *rate of healing*, they've heavily implied there be rules for characters recovering HP slower.

Cybit

First Post

Thanks

They have said as such, but it was a long time ago during the initial playtest release, and I can't find the exact comment. Might have been made in a chat. That said, I'm 95% sure that they will have such an option; the design of the short rest and long rest (and the weirdness of short rests) seems to be set up perfectly for such a healing expectation. I also know that at least one the designers runs a kind of brutal games, so I'm betting they at least designed such rules just so that they'd have them. :D

Chaltab

Explorer

Thanks
Given the lack of Healing Surges and second wind being only a Fighter class feature, there hasn't really been a 4E healing expectation established at all as far as I can tell. And given the sheet that prompted this discussion showed us a first level fighter with only 12 maximum HP that isn't surprising.

That said, without things like Wand of CLW there's not really a pre-Pre 4E expectation either. Hopefully they've got the damage math right that it won't cause any problems.

Obryn

Hero
For my game, pre-4e Healing meant stocking up on CLW wands. Pre-3e healing meant resting 1 extra night in a town so the Cleric could heal everyone, then get all their spells back. :lol: (And if this were 4e, the Fighter couldn't heal up as much as he can in Next, because he'd have daily-limited Healing Surges. :))

But they've stated there'll be modular healing options, yeah. Slower and faster recovery should both be in there. I just wouldn't expect it in Basic, and maybe not even the PHB.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
They just mentioned in one their opening of the starter box set live podcast that DMG will have options for this.. including a wounds vitality type system from D20 Star Wars!

They just mentioned in one their opening of the starter box set live podcast that DMG will have options for this.. including a wounds vitality type system from D20 Star Wars!

Score!!!!

I loved the idea of that system, where you had con score wounds and your class HD went to vitality it was the base for an entire hombrew set of rules I made and used in one 4e game

[sblock=if anyone cares]I took the bloodied condition and made it give a penalty when you had it, but you were bloodied when ever you took wounds damage. I just did a half half split (so bloodied was still 50% hp) but we had discussed doing something like CON score wounds and other hp vitality. .[/sblock]

WotC_Trevor

First Post
For my game, pre-4e Healing meant stocking up on CLW wands. Pre-3e healing meant resting 1 extra night in a town so the Cleric could heal everyone, then get all their spells back. :lol: (And if this were 4e, the Fighter couldn't heal up as much as he can in Next, because he'd have daily-limited Healing Surges. :))

But they've stated there'll be modular healing options, yeah. Slower and faster recovery should both be in there. I just wouldn't expect it in Basic, and maybe not even the PHB.
Just hopping in here while I edit that live footage. Those kinds of options will be in the DMG. That's where you'll find a lot of the optional stuff that alters the base game.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
The next big discussion is going to be on the spamming of Second Wind out of combat ...

I don't like relying on random encounters that the live podcast discussed (sorry my group has never gotten excited about a random encounter) but, I dislike rules lawyering so I will just HR it with something about you using it during a strenuous activity such as combat.

Remove ads