What races are left for D&D to do?

gyor

Legend
Including the races in the upcoming GMGTR we have a lot of races and subraces now. So what is left that you guys want for races.

None demonic Gnolls? Shades? Satyrs? Wemics? Thrikreen? Muls? Shyfts? Shardminds? Kender? Vryloka? Killorens? Illumiams? Maemands? Swanmays? Half Nymphs? Half Giants? Foulborn? Dromads? Xephs? Synads? Alu-Fiends? Reverants?

Dualazi

First Post
Since I'm in an uncharitable mood, I'd say "The races they already released, but done correctly." which is to say I'd like to see an overhaul on the race options to make them more distinctive to one another, as well as focus on more broad mechanical viability since some races like Half-orcs are needlessly confined to melee optimization.

Beyond that I'd like to see some genuine innovation. The D&D team is simply too timid and conservative in their design to rouse my interest much these days, like with how they bend over backwards to avoid making a player race that's large sized. In the same vein, they released a bunch of monster races without bothering to test them at all and just slapped a warning for GMs on there and called it a day, so maybe a more ambitious second-pass is in order. Thinking on it now, I kind of hope they just don't release many more at all, since they're obviously going to be a letdown based on their prior track record.

Slit518

Adventurer
Including the races in the upcoming GMGTR we have a lot of races and subraces now. So what is left that you guys want for races.

What is the GMGTR?

And to answer your question - but I am not sure if these are races already:
1) Rat people
2) Four-armed people, kind of like Goro, Kintaro, Shiva from Mortal Kombat
3) Dog people
4) Aliens, such as Grays

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
[MENTION=6780330]Parmandur[/MENTION] has a good list.

Gnolls. Mearls has, I think, been clear that gnolls are not going to be officially playable in 5e (link). It seems arbitrary to me, but the presentation of the race in VGTM has to my eye ruled out the possibility of them walking this back. I'll note that the results of the survey Parmandur linked to (here) are not entirely conisistent with what Mearls says about Gnolls.

Half-giants are excluded because the designers have worked not to allow any playable race larger than Medium sized.

Pixies are excluded for the converse reason: there are not going to be any races smaller than Small.

gyor

Legend

Gnolls. Mearls has, I think, been clear that gnolls are not going to be officially playable in 5e (link). It seems arbitrary to me, but the presentation of the race in VGTM has to my eye ruled out the possibility of them walking this back. I'll note that the results of the survey Parmandur linked to (here) are not entirely conisistent with what Mearls says about Gnolls.

Half-giants are excluded because the designers have worked not to allow any playable race larger than Medium sized.

Pixies are excluded for the converse reason: there are not going to be any races smaller than Small.

Half Giants are a medium race, like Loxodons, Goliaths, Centaurs, Fir Bolgs, Bugbears they'd be a quasi large medium race that gets that feature that all the larger medium races get to denote the middle ground between large and medium.

Pixies might not be coming, but they could do a similar race that is small instead of tiny, maybe Tooth Fairies or something.

Gnolls are different in Eberron, Kieth Baker made that clear, so a future Eberron supplement might have playable Gnolls. It's a loophole.

gyor

Legend
THri-Kreen, Dinosaurs.

There are a bunch of Kreen races, so maybe just make a Kreen race and have Thri-Kreen be a subrace.

And FR does have a Dinosaur humanoid race, Saurials, which have their own subraces, so that is an excellent choice.

One of which Dragonbait has appeared in ToA.

There are also Pterafolk, which are related to Lizardfolk, but with Pteradactal blood (Saurials are not related to Lizardfolk, Abasi, Nagas, Yuan Ti, or Sarrukhs, as the Sarrukhs did not create them, and they aren't related to Viashino for obvious reasons).

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Gnolls we're name checked in the Wayfarers Guide to Eberron as an option. Standard mini-demon Gnolls won't be playable, but standard mini-demon Minotaurs won't either, yet we are getting a Minotaur variant in the Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica this November.

There actually was an Athasian Half-Giant in Mearls final game during the Stream of Many Eyes. I think we will see them in some form, and Pixies, too.

Last edited:

Remove ads