The Battle Continues Over "Childish Things"

The recent kerfuffle between Bill Maher and comic fans mourning Stan Lee's passing has illustrated an ugly truth that geeks everywhere continue to face: geekdom is still viewed by some as a sign that society has failed to "grow up."

The recent kerfuffle between Bill Maher and comic fans mourning Stan Lee's passing has illustrated an ugly truth that geeks everywhere continue to face: geekdom is still viewed by some as a sign that society has failed to "grow up."

View attachment 104454
Picture courtesy of Pixabay.​
[h=3]It Started with Stan[/h]The death of comics legend Stan Lee prompted an outpouring of grief and comedian Bill Maher took his passing as an opportunity to take a shot at fandom with an essay titled "Adulting":

"...the assumption everyone had back then, both the adults and the kids, was that comics were for kids, and when you grew up you moved on to big-boy books without the pictures. But then twenty years or so ago, something happened – adults decided they didn’t have to give up kid stuff. And so they pretended comic books were actually sophisticated literature."

The response was swift. Maher admitted the lost 40,000 Twitter followers after his post and that he's still followed by paparazzi asking him about "the Stan Lee thing." In response, Maher doubled down in a scathing attack on geekdom everywhere with a video titled, "New Rule: Grow Up":

"...the point of my blog is that I'm not glad Stan Lee is dead I'm sad you're alive...my shot wasn't at Stan Lee it was at, you know, grown men who still dress like kids...I'm sorry but if you are an adult playing with superhero dolls--I'm sorry, I mean collectible action figures!--why not go all the way and drive to work on a big wheel? Grown-ups these days, they cling so desperately to their childhood that when they do attempt to act their age they have a special word for it now, 'adulting'."

If those statements make your blood boil, you're not alone. The comic book industry's condemnation of Maher's comments were swift and wide-reaching. Stan Lee's estate responded directly to Maher:

Mr. Maher: Comic books, like all literature, are storytelling devices. When written well by great creators such as Stan Lee, they make us feel, make us think and teach us lessons that hopefully make us better human beings. One lesson Stan taught so many of us was tolerance and respect, and thanks to that message, we are grateful that we can say you have a right to your opinion that comics are childish and unsophisticated. Many said the same about Dickens, Steinbeck, Melville and even Shakespeare. But to say that Stan merely inspired people to “watch a movie” is in our opinion frankly disgusting. Countless people can attest to how Stan inspired them to read, taught them that the world is not made up of absolutes, that heroes can have flaws and even villains can show humanity within their souls.

The same criticism has been leveled at all things geeky, including role-playing games.
[h=3]Are Role-Playing Games Childish?[/h]Maher's attack on comics is essentially an attack on geekdom itself; the defense from Stan Lee's estate is an argument for the kind of imaginative storytelling that is at the heart of role-playing games.

In a lengthy response to a Quora question if D&D is "too immature and childish," Jake Harris explained:

D&D is a great game that brings people of all kinds together, for those willing to actually try and enjoy it. It's far from childish. Same with other forms of science fiction and fantasy. I strongly believe that these are lowkey pillars of society, which endure when pop culture constantly waxes and wanes with new trends and interpretations of “pop”. Dungeons & Dragons might have 6 Editions (I'm counting 3rd and 3.5 Editions) and Pathfinder, but its playerbase and rules remain largely the same: sit around a table, and travel to far-off lands, doing what no one else in the world is able to. Maybe you think that's childish. Maybe you could even argue that it is. Fine. I submit that maybe our world needs a little childishness. Maybe if we learn to fight less and play more we might actually get somewhere. If we choose to let the children inside of us inspire ourselves and those around us, we might not be stuck with all the problems we have.

Comedian and actor Patton Oswalt doesn't see a difference between pop culture and geek culture:

...I've got news for you—pop culture is nerd culture. The fans of Real Housewives of Hoboken watch, discuss, and absorb their show the same way a geek watched Dark Shadows or obsessed over his eighth-level half-elf ranger character in Dungeons & Dragons. It's the method of consumption, not what's on the plate.

That times have changed is perhaps best exemplified by the Collins online dictionary, which signified a shift away from Maher's perspective:

Once a slur reserved for eggheads and an insult aimed at lovers of computer programming, geek has been deemed the word of the year by the Collins online dictionary. Less brazen than selfie – which topped the Oxford Dictionaries poll last month – geek was chosen as a reminder of how an insult can be transformed into a badge of honour, according to Collins. In September the dictionary changed the main definition of geek from someone preoccupied with computing to "a person who is very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about a specific subject'', adding geekery, geek chic and geekdom to the fold.

Part of geekdom is maintaining the passion for things we enjoyed as children into adulthood, but it does not necessarily mean that we aren't effectively "adulting." Although geekdom seems to have taken over popular culture, comedians like Maher are there to remind us that not everyone is okay with the takeover.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Cerberus was full of social commentary (and base humor).
About half the time Dave Simm is my hero, he comes up with very insightful stuff, the other half on the other hand.... [shiver].

I'll play devil's advocate here.

Big picture, it's worth considering is there's something unhealthy in a society where people's outlooks, preferences, and pass-times don't change between adolescence and mature adulthood. When adults are regarded as teenagers with more money in their pockets. When it's pretty much impossible for a movie to be a big hit unless it appeals to adolescents.

Look at the top box office movies over the decades and consider what they say about society.

https://www.filmsite.org/boxoffice2.html

What did it say about the 1960s that movies like Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Midnight Cowboy, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - movies that few 12 year olds would understand, let alone enjoy - were box office hits?

What does it say about the 2010s that virtually all of the biggest earners are fantasies aimed at 12 year olds? What does it say about the changes in tastes that an unapologetically adult movie like Doctor Zhivago would be considered a fringe art-house film if it were released today, instead of enormously popular entertainment? Or that Kramer vs Kramer wouldn't even get wide distribution today, let alone be the #1 top-grossing movie of the year?

What does it say about a society when its 45 year olds want to consume the same art and culture that they consumed as 15 year olds?

My father kinda counts as a boomer (I guess, he was born in the late fifties), he is big into action and science fiction, even some older superhero stuff -like the Green Hornet or Adam Wests Batman-. Seriously, he is a big Star Trek fan. I've never seen him interested into artsy films, yet he is about the most mature and responsible adult I know. Yet, I've met people who are a bit too much into high-brow entertainment whose life is a complete mess and that can hardly take care of themselves, and I mean basic stuff like doing your own laundry, picking after yourself, or cooking. And that is, because these two things are completely unrelated to each other, your ability to be an adult is not determined by your taste in entertainment.

Celebrim

Legend
I'll play devil's advocate here.

I love a good healthy argument.

Big picture, it's worth considering is there's something unhealthy in a society where people's outlooks, preferences, and pass-times don't change between adolescence and mature adulthood. When adults are regarded as teenagers with more money in their pockets. When it's pretty much impossible for a movie to be a big hit unless it appeals to adolescents.

Actually, agreed. The arrested development in society and the failure to accept adult responsibility has been a very large topic of conversation, not just by Bill Maher, but by many of the communities - conservatives, the religious, etc. - that Bill Maher is noted for being highly critical of. And it shows up in a lot of aspects of society, which I won't get into because, well, it will get political. But suffice to say, Bill Maher isn't making a particularly novel observation and that it an observation which you'd normally expect from a conservative that thinks society is going all to heck in various ways.

What did it say about the 1960s that movies like Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Midnight Cowboy, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf - movies that few 12 year olds would understand, let alone enjoy - were box office hits?

What does it say about the 2010s that virtually all of the biggest earners are fantasies aimed at 12 year olds?

What it chiefly says to me is that a parent in the 1960's could generally take his kids to see a movie aimed at an adult audience without fear that it would be inappropriate viewing for them. They might not catch all the nuance, but there is hardly anything in the 'top films of the 1960's' that I wouldn't have let me kids watch if they wanted to. Indeed, 'Lawrence of Arabia' contains so very serious subject matter - rape, sodomy, torture, murder, suicide, etc. - but it's handled generally tastefully and without gratuitous obsessing over the matter, so that I do remember watching (and enjoying) 'Lawrence' when I was like 9 or 10 even when I might not have gotten exactly what was going on in every scene. By contrast, it's a rare films these days that is aimed at an adult audience that doesn't show a juvenile obsession with depicting sexual acts and graphic violence.

What does it say about the changes in tastes that an unapologetically adult movie like Doctor Zhivago would be considered a fringe art-house film if it were released today, instead of enormously popular entertainment?

I think there are still plenty of dramatic epics in the mode of Doctor Zhivago that are not considered fringe art house films. Speilberg's 'Lincoln', for example, is I think a very serious adult film and it grossed like $275 million domestically. Many other examples could probably be cited, and its worth noting that 'Zhivago' in edition to being a film for an adult audience was in its day a grand 'effects' film designed to be visually stunning. Some notice needs to be made of the advances in technology that have allowed more and more spectacular effects films to be made - for example, as badly made as it actually was and as low brow as he directed it, Peter Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy of films could very much be considered a spiritual successor to the old box office epics with casts of thousands.

What does it say about a society when its 45 year olds want to consume the same art and culture that they consumed as 15 year olds?

I think it says that we've gotten much more sophisticated in terms of the media that we target to 15 year olds. One positive thing that I see in the current culture is that while we may be dumbing down what media we feed to adults, we've gotten much more respectful of the intellectual abilities of children and young adults. If you look back at what was available in children's literature 30 or 60 years ago, the pickings were pretty thin. Today, not only is that a huge market, but books like 'Harry Potter' have provided to children long sustained story telling with complex themes and a rich vocabulary. (Seriously, I occasionally have to look up words in 'Harry Potter' - for example, 'serried' comes to mind.)

But, while we may agree generally that there is something wrong with the maturity of society, I don't at all agree it has to do with things like reading comic books or watching comic book movies. I won't attempt to diagnosis it here, but what I will do is ask whether - if this is a serious problem - someone like Bill Maher in any way acts as if this is a serious problem. Is Bill Maher a serious thinker and a serious and astute critic of society's immaturity?

Well, this is a 62 year old man who appears to be emotionally arrested in young adolescence. He pursues women nearly half his age. He's never been married. Heck, he's never had a long term relationship of any sort - his dating usually lasts less than two years. He's raising no children. He's never been to a PTA meeting. He's never served in the military. He has virtually no business experience. He has no religion, no externally reviewable morals to live up to. Even the few standards he claims to have, such as being a member of PETA, he freely confesses he violates when he feels like it. He has no scientific or intellectual credibility on really anything. He never has to present a rigorous or defensible opinion. He can always say, "Hey, I'm just an entertainer." or "I'm a comedian." or "Why so serious?" He doesn't have to discipline himself in anything, because he doesn't have anything that he feels he ought to do that isn't what he Bill Maher prefers to do. He's thus never had any real adult responsibility and he's made his money essentially as a professional troll whose gimmick is to gather an audience of people who largely hate the same things he does and then validate the audience by vulgarly mocking the things that they approve of, thereby getting them to feel smart. The emotional maturity of his jokes are essentially that of a kid on the playground accusing another kid of being a bedwetter, and his audience is essentially those kids at the playground who upon viewing a popular kid say something like that would laugh along with him. This is a guy that never has really even had to worry about being called out as doing something offensive or losing his career because he does one absolutely stupid and objectionable thing, because what else would you expect from him? Pick which one you consider the worst?

This is not someone whom I feel has the stature to critique my maturity, or really that of anyone else.

I

Immortal Sun

Well, this is a 62 year old man who appears to be emotionally arrested in young adolescence. He pursues women nearly half his age. He's never been married. Heck, he's never had a long term relationship of any sort - his dating usually lasts less than two years. He's raising no children. He's never been to a PTA meeting. He's never served in the military. He has virtually no business experience. He has no religion, no externally reviewable morals to live up to. Even the few standards he claims to have, such as being a member of PETA, he freely confesses he violates when he feels like it. He has no scientific or intellectual credibility on really anything. He never has to present a rigorous or defensible opinion. He can always say, "Hey, I'm just an entertainer." or "I'm a comedian." or "Why so serious?" He doesn't have to discipline himself in anything, because he doesn't have anything that he feels he ought to do that isn't what he Bill Maher prefers to do. He's thus never had any real adult responsibility and he's made his money essentially as a professional troll whose gimmick is to gather an audience of people who largely hate the same things he does and then validate the audience by vulgarly mocking the things that they approve of, thereby getting them to feel smart. The emotional maturity of his jokes are essentially that of a kid on the playground accusing another kid of being a bedwetter, and his audience is essentially those kids at the playground who upon viewing a popular kid say something like that would laugh along with him. This is a guy that never has really even had to worry about being called out as doing something offensive or losing his career because he does one absolutely stupid and objectionable thing, because what else would you expect from him? Pick which one you consider the worst?

This is not someone whom I feel has the stature to critique my maturity, or really that of anyone else.

I just want to add that, as someone who generally dislikes Maher, he wasn't this bad about a decade ago. Yes he was still a pompous, self-entitled jerk but there was at least some effort to have discussion on his show. There was at least some attempt at real humor. I even attended a couple of them back in 2006.

But this is hardly limited to Maher, without naming names or getting too political, the overall face of media has changed in the last 20 or 30 years from social commentary (fair, but honest) to critical commentary (honest, but brutal) to essentially trolling (brutal and dishonest). Noone ever really minded when someone made harsh but honest critique of others, it's a hard pill to swallow and sure some people can't swallow it but generally speaking most people understood that sometimes you have to hear the hard truths and you can't dance around that.

But at some point consumers generally found themselves more interested in the shocking, the scathing and the cruel rather than the fair or the honest or the accurate and that's pretty much the definition of trolling: cruelty for the purpose of shocking and hurting others in order to get attention.

The Greater Internet *badword* Theory has expanded to much of modern media.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I think a lot of people in this thread have completely missed the point. It is never about how many people like comics or not or what kind of movies people watched. It really is if you are Adult enough to take a joke at your own expense without having to make personal attacks about who is dating who or who looks like an eggplant whatever that is supposed to mean.

Gawd if you can’t take these jokes then you would have died thirty years ago. Sad.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I think a lot of people in this thread have completely missed the point. It is never about how many people like comics or not or what kind of movies people watched. It really is if you are Adult enough to take a joke at your own expense without having to make personal attacks about who is dating who or who looks like an eggplant whatever that is supposed to mean.

Gawd if you can’t take these jokes then you would have died thirty years ago. Sad.

There is a difference between good natured joking and ribbing and the kind of spiteful, smug crap that Maher spits out on a weekly basis. I guess many don't give him the benefit of the doubt.

Celebrim

Legend
I think a lot of people in this thread have completely missed the point.

On the contrary, I'm more than willing - if it is necessary - to look at what Maher actually said. If you can quote Maher in a way that makes it look like I have indeed missed his point, then by all means do so. But my distinct impression is that you have a desire to defend Maher's "point" with no reference to what he actually said, but rather by making up what you might have wished he said. You might have wished he was telling a joke, but the evidence of his actual words suggests he wasn't. You might have wished he was making a point about people being too thin skinned, but there is no evidence of that in the text. You might have wished that he was not equating admiration for Stan Lee with immaturity, but what you wish he had said has nothing to do with what he actually said.

If you really think Maher's words are being treated unfairly or taken out of context, by all means demonstrate that.

It really is if you are Adult enough to take a joke at your own expense without having to make personal attacks about who is dating who or who looks like an eggplant whatever that is supposed to mean.

Again, I see no sign that he was joking about anything. And, for that matter, if we was simply providing some corrective but sharp criticism aimed comic book nerds, I would I think be man enough to take it, even if it was completely lacking in good humor or even good intentions. The problem though is that not only is he speaking without good humor, or good will, or any sort of charity, he's just simply wrong.

I have endured far more insulting descriptions than this, especially 30 years ago. But I do not call such gibes 'jokes'.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
Actually, agreed. The arrested development in society and the failure to accept adult responsibility has been a very large topic of conversation, not just by Bill Maher, but by many of the communities - conservatives, the religious, etc. - that Bill Maher is noted for being highly critical of. And it shows up in a lot of aspects of society, which I won't get into because, well, it will get political. But suffice to say, Bill Maher isn't making a particularly novel observation and that it an observation which you'd normally expect from a conservative that thinks society is going all to heck in various ways.

That may be but I don't really think D&D is unique in this regard compared to, say, people who are into gambling, sports fandom, or a lot of other things.

What it chiefly says to me is that a parent in the 1960's could generally take his kids to see a movie aimed at an adult audience without fear that it would be inappropriate viewing for them.

I also think that what's happened now is that parents back in those days mostly didn't take their kids to more adult movies. There have been a lot of changes in parenting over time, but one was a much clearer separation between "adult world" and "kid world" in a lot of ways. Getting babysitters was a lot easier back in the '60s, just as an example, and expectations were quite a bit different.

Remove ads

Remove ads