D&D 5E Adventures for young teens

CydKnight

Explorer
I can only speak from experience having done precisely what the OP has described. As others have already suggested, I too must recommend 5th Edition D&D "Lost Mine of Phandelver".

Werebat

Explorer
F.A.T.A.L.

No, seriously, 5e's Lost Mines of Phandelver is great, and I'd also parrot the recommendation of Tales from the Yawning Portal. The great thing about Tales is that young kids will have no memory of those classic old adventures, so they are all totally new to them. I picked it up for my own son for his birthday and he was pretty thrilled; started running them as a campaign shortly afterward.

S'mon

Legend
Funny, as GM I absolutely loathed Phandelver. The presentation of the starter town is about the worst I've ever seen in an RPG. No detailed NPCs, just a bunch of videogame quest-givers. I'd had some fun playing 2 sessions
of it but GMing I quit after I think 3 sessions.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Funny, as GM I absolutely loathed Phandelver. The presentation of the starter town is about the worst I've ever seen in an RPG. No detailed NPCs, just a bunch of videogame quest-givers. I'd had some fun playing 2 sessions
of it but GMing I quit after I think 3 sessions.
You're in the minority I'm afraid. LMoP was brilliant fun at our table, and I strongly recommend it to the OP.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Overarching story lines are likely to be less important to them, but character development will probably still be something they will care about. Assuming you are an experienced DM, I don't think you could run any adventure from a major publisher and be okay—and you can always edit anything that you think may not be appropriate for their age. Since they are new, you may want to becareful of adventures where death is easy to come by and resurrection hard to come by—unless you are sure they are okay with their characters dying and will not get to frustrated with more challenging adventures. Yawning Portal may be a bit rough on them...though these are the kinds of adventures my friends and I cut our teeth on as kids. But modern video games and sensibilities seem to make those kinds of adventures less popular.

Some good starter adventure material that I didn't see already mentioned:

Trail of the Apprentice, by Legendary games (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188779/Trail-of-the-Apprentice-Adventure-Path-5E)

In Volos Wake (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/203580/In-Volos-Wake-5e)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
5e IMO would be a better choice for new gamers than the bulk of PF, however never underestimate kids ability to pick up detailed rules systems.

Sunless Citadel from Tales is a good intro module, we had a lot of fun with it back in the 3e days.

Remove ads