D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
There is something screwy going on with quotes. We DID have someone replying about living out real life "horrors" in game, I replied to it, but now can not find it. So wanting persecution in game WAS in fact requested as a play mode.
Yes, of course we had someone talking about wanting to play characters who are persecuted. It was me. What you said was people who were offended by Tieflings not being persecuted. There is a world of difference between those things. I explicitly acknowledged that there are people who want to play Tieflings and to be persecuted, and said that they should also be able to do that.

LesserThan

Explorer
Please do not equate marginalized human beings to marginalized board games.
Labels used to demean a group of people, do not matter the size of the group of people, and are wrong.

"Its just a game", is all that is needed that add deragatory words, "its just elfgames".

Traveller does not have elves. Nor do many other games, so why add "elf" if not to attack certain groups? Just like when "elfgame" was coined to demean D&D players, by Traveller players.

"They are playing those dumb elfgames."

LesserThan

Explorer
Yes, of course we had someone talking about wanting to play characters who are persecuted. It was me. What you said was people who were offended by Tieflings not being persecuted. There is a world of difference between those things. I explicitly acknowledged that there are people who want to play Tieflings and to be persecuted, and said that they should also be able to do that.
No, not you. There was another person, that I quoted as I had no idea how to respond to the "horrors" partt, as it seemed like therapy, and I am not a qualified as a therapist.

Everything isnt about you, though they did comment while we, me and you, were talking about teifling persecution.

Edit, found it by signing out.
D&D (2024) - Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Last edited:

Incenjucar

Legend
Labels used to demean a group of people, do not matter the size of the group of people, and are wrong.

"Its just a game", is all that is needed that add deragatory words, "its just elfgames".

Traveller does not have elves. Nor do many other games, so why add "elf" if not to attack certain groups? Just like when "elfgame" was coined to demean D&D players, by Traveller players.

"They are playing those dumb elfgames."
The amount of harm is incredibly different. Please just do not do it. Equate it to something that does not frequently involve war crimes and other horrors.

Voadam

Legend
What does page 8 say if you do not mind, since 16 was quoted earlier?
Two potential things:

living construct traits

"As a living construct, a warforged can be raised or resurrected."

Warforged in D&D sidebar:

"When warforged are used, DMs should be mindful of potential controversies regarding the warforged: Do they have a soul? . . . The answers to these questions should provide roleplaying opportunities for warforged throughout your campaign."

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The amount of harm is incredibly different. Please just do not do it. Equate it to something that does not frequently involve war crimes and other horrors.
Agreed.
That said, given the amount of edition warring that starts at the drop of a hat over use of terms, everybody on here should know that people will get pissed off at what certain terms connote. So why constantly poke that effing bear, particularly when someone objects?

LesserThan

Explorer
Like the girl in the wheelchair was corrected, let me also in a wheelchair correct you. Do not tell people how to talk about themselves.

What are you talking about war crimes? Satanic Panic era happened. Learn about it.

The other 2 groups were blacks and LGBT, the is no war crimes against any of the 4 groups.

Crimes against humanity in Middle East over LGBT, I will grant you, but no war.

Explain what you are saying, or trying to say, but failing to convey to me.

What I am saying is that ANY label, no matter to whom, used just to demean or dismiss any groups opinion is WRONG. Do you disagree with that? I see it here with 2 tiered justice, I think is the word. Cynthia Williams is protected from personal attacks, but that TSR guy is not. Plenty of people making personal attacks on him. Hell this forum used to have a sister website called Circus Maximus where the administration and their closest friends made personal attacks on ALL the users of the forums! I wonder if it is still running?

LesserThan

Explorer
Two potential things:

living construct traits

"As a living construct, a warforged can be raised or resurrected."

Warforged in D&D sidebar:

"When warforged are used, DMs should be mindful of potential controversies regarding the warforged: Do they have a soul? . . . The answers to these questions should provide roleplaying opportunities for warforged throughout your campaign."
Thanks. I knew there was instructions for the DM, but after about 20 years, forgot what or how deep they were. :)

Also, neither on that seems to answer IF they have souls, just a work around in case you chose to RP that they do not.

Until the blog post, 15 years after the book was published, and 2 editions later. 5e was released in 2014 right? Before that blog post?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Imagine all these as quotes, and tell me why any should evey be used.

Its just elfgames.
Its just blacks.
Its just gays.
Its just cripples.

From top to bottom they dismiss as a group/label.
fantasy games
a race
LGBT
disabled

It is no different from SQW and SJW, status quo/social justice warrior.

Labels used to be dismissive and demeaing to others. Standard playground bully tactics to name call.
This is a really dumb hot take that minimizes the suffering of real people by comparing them to people that play a game. Do better.

Remove ads