D&D 5E RAW: Can druids wear studded leather?

Satyrn

First Post
Right, except in this case, the RAW is that you need to ask your DM. Druids won't wear metal armor, it's ambiguous whether studded leather counts as metal, and the OP can't find supporting rules within the book. That's why they created this thread in the first place. They want some RAW answer that isn't just "ask your DM".

And that answer flat-out doesn't exist, because the RAW answer is that you must ask your DM. It may not be a very satisfying answer, but that's all there is to it. The OP has already found all of the relevant evidence, which is why they're uncertain about this point in the first place.

Yeah no kidding. Even if we come to a consensus here in this thread (spoiler alert: we won't), there's simply no way to expect every DM he plays with will agree. The best answer in this case really is "there is no right answer, ask your DM."

Although that said, my actual answer to the OP is this: I don't know how your DMs will rule, so if I was in your shoes I'd just play it safe and consider studded leather out of bounds. But who knows, maybe all your DMs will be like me and not care one bit about that flavor restriction and not blink an eye if you showed up in mithral full plate . . . I mean, if your character did. If you were wearing the full plate, I'd probably have to shield my eyes from the glare of the florescent lights shimmering off it.

Ebony Dragon

First Post
Studded Leather isn't necessarily made with metal studs according to the PHB. It might have metal studs, or it might have stone studs, or bone studs, or who knows what else. The metal studded version is a no-no for druids, clearly. The other materials would be just fine. Make sure your druid is wearing studded leather made of the right material and he will be a-ok.

Oofta

Legend
Yeah no kidding. Even if we come to a consensus here in this thread (spoiler alert: we won't), there's simply no way to expect every DM he plays with will agree. The best answer in this case really is "there is no right answer, ask your DM."

Although that said, my actual answer to the OP is this: I don't know how your DMs will rule, so if I was in your shoes I'd just play it safe and consider studded leather out of bounds. But who knows, maybe all your DMs will be like me and not care one bit about that flavor restriction and not blink an eye if you showed up in mithral full plate . . . I mean, if your character did. If you were wearing the full plate, I'd probably have to shield my eyes from the glare of the florescent lights shimmering off it.

If the player showed up in mithril plate, I'd let them play anything they want as long as they told me how I could get my own. ;)

Oofta

Legend
Studded Leather isn't necessarily made with metal studs according to the PHB. It might have metal studs, or it might have stone studs, or bone studs, or who knows what else. The metal studded version is a no-no for druids, clearly. The other materials would be just fine. Make sure your druid is wearing studded leather made of the right material and he will be a-ok.

Unless you give book and page number in an official book it doesn't change what everyone else has been saying. It's a judgement call on part of the DM. The rules are silent on what the studs are constructed of much like they are silent on what a longsword is made of.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Heat Metal on my longsword? Nope, mine isn't made of metal!

People are bending over backwards to get a small boost of power.

I think the game is more fun when the story/narrative elements - the themes and archetypes are embraced.

JC put it this way - The restrictions are there to prevent the game from turning into a 'mush'. Druids don't wear metal armour, rogues sneak attack with finesse weapons, etc.

Stalker0

Legend
The PHB is not a technical document. The rules don't state what a longsword is made of, yet unless it's specifically stated otherwise I'm going assume Heat Metal would work on it. Many, many things are left to common knowledge.

Your point is fair. Since no where in the book is metal weapons defined, than either heat metal never works on weapons, or metal has to be a description characteristic and not an implicit rule.

Since the spell does mention weapons, than we turn to the latter ruling.

So I’ll withdraw my previous note about ring mail.

Terran5891

First Post
Sometimes I start to wonder if the intent of this "no metal" limitation was lost over the many editions of D&D. I think in 2nd edition they just assumed it was a creative way of restricting them from using specific types of armor like full plate that were by default made of metal, but nowadays D&D has introduced so many special materials you could feasibly create a set of full plate armor that is made of chitin and provide similar protection.

Hence my original posting. Sometimes the rules are not clear and it comes down to a DM's ruling.
I think we are mostly in agreement here.

I know how I would rule, other DM's would rule differently. Show some respect for the person willing to judge your game and ask them. Just don't expect the same answer from every DM or make assumptions that they will agree with what you want.
But not here. Or atleast it appears you are forgetting a very important, imo, part of the OP.

The player does not have a regular DM. The DM can be someone they have never played with before. Their is no guarantee, in this situation, of their being an existing relationship with the DM prior to sitting down at the table.

Sure, the player could wait until they sit down and ask then, but then they are in a predicament. Because they may have already used a limited resource (treasure points AND a magic item) that then become useless at that table for that game.

That is something they wish to avoid. And reasonably so. Everyone stating how they would run their game doesn't help the OP unless they are running one of the games the OP happens to sit down at.

It is completely reasonable for the OP to ask for as much RAW support one way or the other so that they can make an informed decision. And if needed discuss it with the DM of the moment at the moment.

Discussing history, and alternate materials, and homebrew is... what the OP asked NOT be done. Show some respect for the OP, and don't go there.

Oofta

Legend
I think we are mostly in agreement here.

But not here. Or atleast it appears you are forgetting a very important, imo, part of the OP.

The player does not have a regular DM. The DM can be someone they have never played with before. Their is no guarantee, in this situation, of their being an existing relationship with the DM prior to sitting down at the table.

Sure, the player could wait until they sit down and ask then, but then they are in a predicament. Because they may have already used a limited resource (treasure points AND a magic item) that then become useless at that table for that game.

That is something they wish to avoid. And reasonably so. Everyone stating how they would run their game doesn't help the OP unless they are running one of the games the OP happens to sit down at.

It is completely reasonable for the OP to ask for as much RAW support one way or the other so that they can make an informed decision. And if needed discuss it with the DM of the moment at the moment.

Discussing history, and alternate materials, and homebrew is... what the OP asked NOT be done. Show some respect for the OP, and don't go there.

I've been asked how I would run a game, hence my responses to those specific questions. I was asked a specific question about how I would handle a druid donning metal armor in a home game and I gave an answer along with an example of something that has actually occurred in my home game. Everything else I've approached from the perspective of someone judging a public game.

In other words, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Sometimes I start to wonder if the intent of this "no metal" limitation was lost over the many editions of D&D. I think in 2nd edition they just assumed it was a creative way of restricting them from using specific types of armor like full plate that were by default made of metal, but nowadays D&D has introduced so many special materials you could feasibly create a set of full plate armor that is made of chitin and provide similar protection.
It was originally a way to keep the classes balanced, by preventing certain classes from using certain types of equipment that were "too good". Clerics couldn't use edged weapons, because edged weapons were better than blunt ones, and clerics were supposed to be bad at fighting. Most of the good magical weapons were swords, and a prohibition on edged weapons meant they wouldn't poach the fighter's loot.

Druids are restricted to hide, because hide isn't very good, and druids are supposed to have pretty bad AC.

Remove ads